New Member

  • ld890321
    Message 1 of 94 , Apr 2, 2013
      Hi All;

      Thanks for letting me join your group. I know how to do the braiding. I am interested in learning how to do the beading braid. I looked at some of the files and I love the 12 strand braid. I am also interested in finding a good supplier for the C-Lon cord. A question? Do you braid a small amount of braid to put inside of the end cap?
      Thank you for all advice in advance.
      Thank You
      Lee
    • Elliott C. Evans
      Message 94 of 94 , Apr 9, 2013
        slboyd10 wrote:
        > That sounds wonderful Elliott!! Maybe I'll get the chance to go to
        > something like this sometime...

        I hope so! even just the opportunity to sit in a room of other
        braiders, braiding and talking about braiding, is great. Add in
        a good teacher who will push you in new directions and answer
        the difficult questions and the experience is the best.

        John Whitley wrote:
        >> These braids will be absolutely no help to my medieval Japanese
        >> persona in the SCA, but I personally can't wait to get to work on
        >> them.
        >
        > Until, of course, you start applying core exchange techniques to
        > traditional Japanese braid patterns...

        I already did a little of that about three years ago, using what
        wheat calls "sky hooks" below to suspend a rod above my marudai.

        http://www.ee0r.com/kumihimo/images/braid82.jpg

        Most of that is just 8-strand 'edo yatsu'. You can see how loose the
        joints are when I did full switches because I didn't have a good
        method for keeping the tension. The gradual switch is much smoother.

        I should try this again, but all my life is on to-do lists now, and
        I even have a "Braids" list that keeps getting longer.

        Wheat wrote:
        > I am so looking forward to this book. I have had what Henry calls
        > my "Sky Hooks" over my braiding area since the 90's because I put a
        > core in pretty much every braid.

        I've seen paintings that indicate the use of sky hooks may pre-date
        the hole in the center of the marudai. The stand that Rodrick has
        designed adds portability, of course, and a good method for keeping
        track of which strand is which. The suspension hooks can also be
        rotated to create a color change in the core threads that way.

        I had come to class with a stand I made on my own, based on the
        rather small picture on the Braidershand web site. I needed to add
        a few hooks and move my hooks around before I could start working.
        If anyone is planning on building their own stand, I recommend
        waiting for the book to come out so you can study that design first.
        It's more intricate than it may appear.

        Other things the stand adds are a good place to tape up the pattern
        and a place to attach a camera, though I don't know if the book will
        mention those.

        >> These braids will be absolutely no help to my medieval Japanese
        >> persona in the SCA, but I personally can't wait to get to work on
        >> them.
        > Not necessarily, there is so little that is new in the world and
        > much that is simply rediscovered - it would not be surprising to
        > find that something similar has been done.

        True, true. I still have a lot of research to do on historical
        braids to justify some of the standard patterns before I get into
        researching the more complex braids, though.

        > With both in the area, can't help but wonder if Rod & Makiko will
        > be turning up at MD S&W

        It's possible, I suppose. Rodrick didn't say anything about it.

        --
        Elliott C. Evans
        http://www.ee0r.com/kumihimo/