Re: To buy a marudai in Japan

  • John OLeary
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
      I have to agree with John Whitley here.  Quite frankly I don't know why anyone would bother searching for a marudai in Japan when the best marudai you could ever buy is so readily available from Braidershand.  You might have to wait for a while, as you'll join the queue of happy customers, but you'll be very happy with the product.

      John

    • Makiko Tada
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
        Dear Johns!

        I agree with you!
        Braidershand and Peter are very good maker of Marudai.

        But dear kumist,
        please contact with me when you will visit Japan or want to know about
        Japan,
        because I am living in Japan.

        Makiko

        2013/2/1 John OLeary <johnno_49@...>

        > **
        >

        > I have to agree with John Whitley here. Quite frankly I don't know why
        > anyone would bother searching for a marudai in Japan when the best marudai
        > you could ever buy is so readily available from Braidershand. You might
        > have to wait for a while, as you'll join the queue of happy customers, but
        > you'll be very happy with the product.
        >
        > John

        ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
        Makiko Tada, Ph.D. Kyoto Institute of Technology
        Texte, Inc., 2-6-44-203, Misawa, Hino, Tokyo 191-0032
        Phone: +81-42-592-7767, Fax: +81-42-593-3204
        ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

      • Anne Marie Eriksson
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
          Thank you all for good advice! I have visited their home page many times so
          I think I had better to take another look.

          Anne Marie

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
            I can say nothing at all against the maru dai that are available from
            Braidershand, but I understand why it might be especially meaningful to you
            to purchase one in Japan with your son's help. I am sure that Makiko would
            be happy to help you find one there if that is your wish. I wish I could
            return to Japan for another visit, and the few small things I bought there
            are very dear to me because of the memories of my trip. Good luck finding
            the perfect maru dai for your braiding, and bon voyage!

            Carol Miller Franklin

          • Michael Hattori
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2013
              Dear Anne Marie,

              Makiko is your best and easiest source in Japan! I'm glad she posted here as I didn't want to just offer her services to you.

              While you are in Tokyo, however, you might want to visit the beautiful kumihimo store for the Dômyô kumihimo school in Ueno. Should you be unable to contact Makiko, you could probably purchase a marudai from them as well. But their store is well worth a visit. It is a very small affair, but when you walk in the door, you are greeted by a the most gorgeous spread of obijime - it is like a candy store! Every color of the rainbow and so many different braids.

              Here is a link to the Google map for the store:
              http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=2&gs_ri=serp&gs_mss=%E9%81%93%E6%98%8E%E3%81%8F%E3%81%BF&pq=domyo+kumihimo&cp=4&gs_id=2dk&xhr=t&q=%E9%81%93%E6%98%8E%E7%B5%84%E7%B4%90&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1569&bih=890&bs=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&ei=shgMUZi0KeOSiQKtrYGQCg&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA

              You would take the Ginza subway line to Ueno Hirokoji station, then follow the map. It is only about a 5 minute walk from that station and there is a marvelous lotus pond very nearby as well.

              Best wishes,
              Michael Hattori

              --- In kumi2@yahoogroups.com, "lyckaenge" wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > I am living in Sweden and use to practice the kumihimo with my home made marudai which once was a bar stool from IKEA. It works ok but one of my dreams is of course to get an original one made in Japan.
              >
              > Just for the moment I'm planning a new trip to see my son who moved to Japan 2010. He is living with his Japanese wife and four daughters in Naze at Amami Oshima (Kagoshimaken). In the end of April we will meet in Tokyo and he has promised to guide me during some days. As he speaks the language fluently I hope to see a lot. And of course I want to buy a marudai.
              >
              > We have made some research on internet (thanks to Skype!), but it's not easy to find out where to get a marudai of real good workmanship.
              > My question is if any of you have an idea of a shop or a joiner (carpenter) in Tokyo or in reasonable distance, where I could find what I'm looking for?
              >
              > Kindly,
              >
              > Anne Marie Eriksson near Gothenburg in Sweden

            • Susan Jane Caraccio
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2013
                If you are in Sweden have you thought about ordering a Marudai from
                Jacqui Carey here in the UK - it would cost a lot less to get to Sweden
                than from the USA or Japan. It might even be worth you investigating
                cheap flights to the UK and coming over for the day to collect it.

                Her website is below, with the direct link to the kumihimo equipment.

                http://www.careycompany.com/Kumi-equip.html

                As you are going to Japan I would definately try to meet up with Makiko
                Tada, she is an expert in kumihimo (and a very very nice lady).

                Susan in south-west London UK
              • Wheat
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2013
                  Given the changes in shipping costs from the US to pretty much anywhere
                  last month,

                  You may also want to look into supplier located in Europe,

                  Many of us have had the great pleasure to use the equipment made by

                  Berlin Braids:
                  http://www.shirleyberlin.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=11&Itemid=12

                  and/or

                  The Carey Company - Carey : http://www.careycompany.com/Kumi-equip.html

                  I think if I had the opportunity to shop while in Japan, I would spend
                  my time and money on silk threads -

                  Makiko-san may be able to suggest places in Tokoyo where you might find
                  the best quality and selection.

                  Another source of invaluable source of informaiton, especially for those
                  outside the US is the Braid Society
                  http://www.braidsociety.com/ - they have great resource lists in the
                  website available to all, not just members.

                  What a wonderful opportunity you have, enjoy your trip to Japan

                  Enjoy The Making

                  Wheat

                  --
                  ItsAllJustString http://www.ItsAllJustString.com