DIY warping posts?

  • Ruth
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
      Has anyone come up with a DIY solution to the warping post challenge?
    • Wheat
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
        On 11/2/2012 5:25 AM, Ruth wrote:

        > Has anyone come up with a DIY solution to the warping post challenge?

        We are/were in the path of Sandy thru the Mid-Atlantic, but ratcheting
        bar clamps have long been my favorite.

        http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-ratchet-bar-clamp-spreader-46807.html

        I have found the 6 inch most versatile, but keep wishing I could find 8
        inch - So TheHenry cut a set down from the easily available 12 inch size.

        These are "useful" because they will work with most counter/table
        top/deck railing and if you feel the need for excercise they will even
        work on many stair rails so you can run up and down the stairs while
        winding the warp.

        I often use them with yarns to work out the repeat in multis. The list
        goes on.

        Each set has a "base" cut from hi density (pipe insulation) foam left
        over from actually being used to insulate the pipes in the garage. You
        could also cut a circle from some of the craft foam found in most stores
        like michaels and such. This keeps the threads from dropping down in
        the works.

        The metal "bar" is finished smoothly enough (you might want to check as
        you select a pair) but have been known to keep a 8inch length of tubing
        to slide over the bar.

        Another advantage they are specifically designed to be used one-handed
        so easy to relax the tension and take off the warp.

        About the only thing that did not work well was when I tried to us them
        to anchor the Knitting Machine to its table. Sometimes I guess you just
        have to have the "purpose built" tool for the job.

        Oh, and they work really well for woodworking as a bar clamp/spreader too

        Enjoy The Making

        Wheat

        --
        ItsAllJustString http://www.ItsAllJustString.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
          C-clamps affixed upside down to counter or table at specified distance apart. Cover exposed screws with paper and tape in place to avoid catching on fibre. 7-inch clamps are about $8 each.

          Negay

          a sacred space - a sacred place
          a haven from the wars, both outside and within

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
            For a simple, hand-held model, we drilled holes in a wooden yard/meter stick.

            I added two wooden thread spools with screws and wingnuts.

            I can adjust the length as needed.

            I have only used it with cottons. They don't slip like silks might.

            -Eleanore
            San Diego

            On Nov 2, 2012, at 2:25 AM, Ruth wrote:

            > Has anyone come up with a DIY solution to the warping post challenge?

          • John Whitley
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
              "Ruth" <ruth.wall@...> wrote:
              > Has anyone come up with a DIY solution to the warping post challenge?

              Hi Ruth,

              Along the lines of Wheat's suggestion, I use the Irwin Micro Quick-Grip bar clamps. At only 8" total length, they're small enough to pack four of them in a small "kumi kit" along with other essential tools. I've used them for warping braids at workshops, in random cafes around the area, and so on... ;-) They're also strong enough that a pair of them can hold the out-end for ply-split cord making quite securely.

              These are available at many hardware stores and tend to come in 2-packs, like the set at this link:

              http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Grip-530062-Micro-Bar-Clamp/dp/B00004SBCO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1351868801&sr=8-4&keywords=irwin+mini+quick+grip

              -- John

            • Albert Abril
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012