Intro and question about tama weight for horsehair

  • sadiemayo
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2012
      Good morning,
      I am new to this group. I am really excited to learn kumihimo with horse hair.
      I am ordering a marudai and it comes with 16-70 Gram Hard Maple Tama.
      Is this the right weight for working with horse hair?
      Thank you,
      Looking forward to participating in this group.
      Joyce
    • clairecassan
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
        Hi Joyce,
        I used 70 grams tama when I did horsehair braids on the marudai. I didn't have problem with it and the resulting braid looked nice.
        I suppose it depends on how many strands you plan to have per tama, if you have too few strands they may break.
        The main difficulty for me was to attach the thread to each tama.
        Have fun!
        Cl.
      • Anita
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
          Hi Joyce,
          70g tama may be ok for braids with up to 7 or 8 hairs per tama. If you use more hair than that, you'll probably need heavier ones. And you'll probably need to reduce the counterweight (to 25-30%) to get enough tension on the strands to get a tight braid. Good luck!
          Anita Clark
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
            Interesting question. I've just started working up to hair. I'm still
            doing samples in embroidery floss. I'm working from "Self Instructor in
            The Art of Hair Work" (Campbell), which is pretty much kumihimo on a
            marudai. I need some more tama. I've been using film canisters.

            Could anyone guide me to some budget tamas? I'm in the US-California.

            Julie

          • tendebrock@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
              Braiders hand. Well made and reasonably priced

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Oct 2, 2012, at 12:34 PM, Julie <jtknits55@...> wrote:

              > Interesting question. I've just started working up to hair. I'm still
              > doing samples in embroidery floss. I'm working from "Self Instructor in
              > The Art of Hair Work" (Campbell), which is pretty much kumihimo on a
              > marudai. I need some more tama. I've been using film canisters.
              >
              > Could anyone guide me to some budget tamas? I'm in the US-California.
              >
              > Julie

            • rkti666
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012

                http://www.fiberartistsupply.com/tama/