Re: [kumi2] Hi There

  • Janis Saunders
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2012
      Hi Jessica,

      You are right, the takadai produces pick-up braids and Carol Franklin
      has some beautiful ones in her gallery.

      http://www.braidweaver.com/ <http://www.braidweaver.com/pages/wgp001.html>

      When you are at the library see if they have Making Kumihimo: Japanese
      Interlaced Braids by Rodrick Owen, the cover is red. Libraries often
      have copies of his first book for the marudai, which has disk and plate
      information too, Braids: 250 Patterns from Japan, Peru and Beyond.

      Janis
      www.braidershand.com - kumihimo supplies here
      www.weavershand.com - check the kumihimo galleries here

      On 8/31/2012 10:31 AM, Jessica wrote:

      > I have recently discovered the Wonderful World of Kumihimo. Like,
      > yesterday.
      >
      > I'm going to make myself up one of the disk things to get started on,
      > and try something out. Tonight or tomorrow probably, we'll see. I'll
      > keep you posted.
      >
      > So, here's my (first) question - The fancy braids with the pictures on
      > them - there's one in the gallery of a peacock - can these be done on
      > the disks (marudai? Or is there another word for them?) or do they
      > need to be done on the takadai? Because I would love to do something
      > like that.
      >
      > I need to hit up the local library and see if they have any books on
      > this stuff.

    • Jessica MacKay
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2012
        The local library has four books on kumihimo. One was a jewelry making
        book, two were checked out, so what I ended up with is Kumihimo; Japanese
        Silk Braiding Techniques by Catherine Martin. It has twelve braid patterns
        for the marudai, I'm hoping they will translate to a disk, and I'm hoping
        that I can make a serviceable disk out of craft foam. I'm about to try!
        On Sep 1, 2012 9:34 AM, "Janis Saunders" <weavershand@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi Jessica,
        >
        > You are right, the takadai produces pick-up braids and Carol Franklin
        > has some beautiful ones in her gallery.
        >
        > http://www.braidweaver.com/ <http://www.braidweaver.com/pages/wgp001.html>
        >
        > When you are at the library see if they have Making Kumihimo: Japanese
        > Interlaced Braids by Rodrick Owen, the cover is red. Libraries often
        > have copies of his first book for the marudai, which has disk and plate
        > information too, Braids: 250 Patterns from Japan, Peru and Beyond.
        >
        > Janis
        > www.braidershand.com - kumihimo supplies here
        > www.weavershand.com - check the kumihimo galleries here
        >
        > On 8/31/2012 10:31 AM, Jessica wrote:
        > >
        > > I have recently discovered the Wonderful World of Kumihimo. Like,
        > > yesterday.
        > >
        > > I'm going to make myself up one of the disk things to get started on,
        > > and try something out. Tonight or tomorrow probably, we'll see. I'll
        > > keep you posted.
        > >
        > > So, here's my (first) question - The fancy braids with the pictures on
        > > them - there's one in the gallery of a peacock - can these be done on
        > > the disks (marudai? Or is there another word for them?) or do they
        > > need to be done on the takadai? Because I would love to do something
        > > like that.
        > >
        > > I need to hit up the local library and see if they have any books on
        > > this stuff.

      • Janis Saunders
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2012
          Hi Jessica,

          It is very interesting to find that your library has four kumihimo
          books, lucky you.

          Catherine Martin's book is excellent. You will find that some of the
          braids work well on the disk but not all. Any braid where most of the
          threads end up on one half of the disk is hard to work as the tension is
          not even.

          Janis

          On 9/1/2012 10:03 AM, Jessica MacKay wrote:

          > The local library has four books on kumihimo. One was a jewelry making
          > book, two were checked out, so what I ended up with is Kumihimo; Japanese
          > Silk Braiding Techniques by Catherine Martin. It has twelve braid patterns
          > for the marudai, I'm hoping they will translate to a disk, and I'm hoping
          > that I can make a serviceable disk out of craft foam. I'm about to try!
          > On Sep 1, 2012 9:34 AM, "Janis Saunders" <weavershand@...
          > <mailto:weavershand%40earthlink.net>> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hi Jessica,
          > >
          > > You are right, the takadai produces pick-up braids and Carol Franklin
          > > has some beautiful ones in her gallery.
          > >
          > > http://www.braidweaver.com/
          > <http://www.braidweaver.com/pages/wgp001.html>
          > >
          > > When you are at the library see if they have Making Kumihimo: Japanese
          > > Interlaced Braids by Rodrick Owen, the cover is red. Libraries often
          > > have copies of his first book for the marudai, which has disk and plate
          > > information too, Braids: 250 Patterns from Japan, Peru and Beyond.
          > >
          > > Janis
          > > www.braidershand.com - kumihimo supplies here
          > > www.weavershand.com - check the kumihimo galleries here
          > >
          > > On 8/31/2012 10:31 AM, Jessica wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I have recently discovered the Wonderful World of Kumihimo. Like,
          > > > yesterday.
          > > >
          > > > I'm going to make myself up one of the disk things to get started on,
          > > > and try something out. Tonight or tomorrow probably, we'll see. I'll
          > > > keep you posted.
          > > >
          > > > So, here's my (first) question - The fancy braids with the pictures on
          > > > them - there's one in the gallery of a peacock - can these be done on
          > > > the disks (marudai? Or is there another word for them?) or do they
          > > > need to be done on the takadai? Because I would love to do something
          > > > like that.
          > > >
          > > > I need to hit up the local library and see if they have any books on
          > > > this stuff.

        • Linda Schiess
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2012
            I checked out my county' library system and now have 3 of the 4 books on
            reserve for next week!!!! so excited!

            On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Jessica MacKay <figmentimage@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > The local library has four books on kumihimo. One was a jewelry making
            > book, two were checked out, so what I ended up with is Kumihimo; Japanese
            > Silk Braiding Techniques by Catherine Martin. It has twelve braid patterns
            > for the marudai, I'm hoping they will translate to a disk, and I'm hoping
            > that I can make a serviceable disk out of craft foam. I'm about to try!
            > On Sep 1, 2012 9:34 AM, "Janis Saunders" <weavershand@...>
            > wrote:
            >
            > > **
            >

            > > Hi Jessica,
            > >
            > > You are right, the takadai produces pick-up braids and Carol Franklin
            > > has some beautiful ones in her gallery.
            > >
            > > http://www.braidweaver.com/ <
            > http://www.braidweaver.com/pages/wgp001.html>
            > >
            > > When you are at the library see if they have Making Kumihimo: Japanese
            > > Interlaced Braids by Rodrick Owen, the cover is red. Libraries often
            > > have copies of his first book for the marudai, which has disk and plate
            > > information too, Braids: 250 Patterns from Japan, Peru and Beyond.
            > >
            > > Janis
            > > www.braidershand.com - kumihimo supplies here
            > > www.weavershand.com - check the kumihimo galleries here
            > >
            > > On 8/31/2012 10:31 AM, Jessica wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I have recently discovered the Wonderful World of Kumihimo. Like,
            > > > yesterday.
            > > >
            > > > I'm going to make myself up one of the disk things to get started on,
            > > > and try something out. Tonight or tomorrow probably, we'll see. I'll
            > > > keep you posted.
            > > >
            > > > So, here's my (first) question - The fancy braids with the pictures on
            > > > them - there's one in the gallery of a peacock - can these be done on
            > > > the disks (marudai? Or is there another word for them?) or do they
            > > > need to be done on the takadai? Because I would love to do something
            > > > like that.
            > > >
            > > > I need to hit up the local library and see if they have any books on
            > > > this stuff.

          • John Whitley
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2012
              Jessica MacKay <figmentimage@...> wrote:
              > The local library has four books on kumihimo. One was a jewelry making
              > book, two were checked out, so what I ended up with is Kumihimo; Japanese
              > Silk Braiding Techniques by Catherine Martin.

              As Janis notes, different patterns will adapt to the disk better than others. A marudai makes it very easy to adjust or reposition groups of threads as you work, since you can usually move an entire set of tama in one motion. This quickly becomes part of the flow of working a given marudai pattern. However, the readjustment on some patterns makes the translated version for disk go a bit slower, since you can only move one thread at a time (e.g. when you need to make space for a new incoming thread). Some patterns like Kongoh translate beautifully, since no readjustments are ever needed when working on disk.

              That said, I really love Catherine Martin's book. While aren't as many patterns as in some books, Martin provides detailed working notes and descriptions for each braid. Her sections on traditional warping, setup, and braid finishing techniques are excellent as well. If you someday decide to work on marudai, I think you'll find this to be a great resource.

              -- John

              > It has twelve braid patterns
              > for the marudai, I'm hoping they will translate to a disk, and I'm hoping
              > that I can make a serviceable disk out of craft foam. I'm about to try!
              > On Sep 1, 2012 9:34 AM, "Janis Saunders" <weavershand@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Hi Jessica,
              > >
              > > You are right, the takadai produces pick-up braids and Carol Franklin
              > > has some beautiful ones in her gallery.
              > >
              > > http://www.braidweaver.com/ <http://www.braidweaver.com/pages/wgp001.html>
              > >
              > > When you are at the library see if they have Making Kumihimo: Japanese
              > > Interlaced Braids by Rodrick Owen, the cover is red. Libraries often
              > > have copies of his first book for the marudai, which has disk and plate
              > > information too, Braids: 250 Patterns from Japan, Peru and Beyond.
              > >
              > > Janis
              > > www.braidershand.com - kumihimo supplies here
              > > www.weavershand.com - check the kumihimo galleries here
              > >
              > > On 8/31/2012 10:31 AM, Jessica wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I have recently discovered the Wonderful World of Kumihimo. Like,
              > > > yesterday.
              > > >
              > > > I'm going to make myself up one of the disk things to get started on,
              > > > and try something out. Tonight or tomorrow probably, we'll see. I'll
              > > > keep you posted.
              > > >
              > > > So, here's my (first) question - The fancy braids with the pictures on
              > > > them - there's one in the gallery of a peacock - can these be done on
              > > > the disks (marudai? Or is there another word for them?) or do they
              > > > need to be done on the takadai? Because I would love to do something
              > > > like that.
              > > >
              > > > I need to hit up the local library and see if they have any books on
              > > > this stuff.

            • Jessica MacKay
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2012
                Linda - Yay! Public libraries are one of the best inventions ever.

                I am less than a half an inch into my first braid, and I am already
                jonesing for a proper marudai. It's a matter of finances right now, though
                I may be taking a trip to some hardware stores or craft stores and seeing
                about putting one together myself.

                I'm enjoying the book. It's short and sweet, but it is clear on what's
                going on, and I'm enjoying the little blips of history that show up.

              • Cynce Williams
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2012
                  I used an upside-down angel cake pan supported on 2 tv trays until I got my marudai. I use film canisters filled with pennies (US cent coins) for tama.

                  Cynthia

                  On Sep 1, 2012, at 8:37 PM, Jessica MacKay wrote:

                  > I am less than a half an inch into my first braid, and I am already
                  > jonesing for a proper marudai. It's a matter of finances right now, though
                  > I may be taking a trip to some hardware stores or craft stores and seeing
                  > about putting one together myself.

                • Sandra
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 2, 2012
                    I am amazed with all the talent in this group...great ideas...sg

                  • Catherine Bond
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 5, 2012
                      I used an upside-down angel cake pan supported on 2 tv trays until I got my marudai. I use film canisters filled with pennies (US cent coins) for tama.

                      Cynthia

                      My first marudai was an upside down tomato cage with a cardboard "mirror" duct taped to it.
                      My second was a kitchen stool with a hole cut in the middle.
                      Finally I got a hand turned one. Yea!

                      Cathy