AI

  • Jeremy Robinson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 8, 2001
      >From Jeremy Robinson

      Just seen A.I., in the UK, and wondered what other
      people thought of it?
      My first impressions are: visually amazing at
      times; first act excellent; 2nd act, with Flesh
      and Rouge Cities, rehashes 'Mad Max' and other
      post-apocalyptic scenarios - i.e., entertaining,
      but not earth-shattering; but the 3rd act has big
      problems, goes on too long, etc. Can't fault
      production values - fx, visuals, camera, music,
      etc (too much music, though). Osment's wonderful.
      The biggest fault seems to be in the script, the
      characters and their goals (not to mention many
      unbelievable moments). For example, having the
      main character trapped below a ferris wheel under
      the sea seems like a scriptwriter's cul-de-sac,
      literally and metaphorically. Also, the film
      suffers from a crippling lack of real humour, or
      compassion.
      God knows how Kubrick have made it; the project
      seemed to contain too many flaws for even Stanley
      to fix (viz. the endless working on the script by
      some fine writers - Aldiss, Watson, Maitland,
      Shaw, et al). Of course, Kubrick would've ditched
      Disneyesque tagalongs like supertoy Teddy, and
      Spielberg's penchant for endlessly squeezing out
      sentiment. In some ways, I can't help wishing,
      selfishly, that Kubrick had made 'A.I.' instead of
      'Eyes Wide Shut', which I still can't quite get on
      with.
      As Brian Aldiss said (in John Baxter's book) of
      working with Kubrick:

      'I couldn't see how we could turn this vignette
      into a film. We stuck at it for a while, but it
      wasn't working. Then, gradually, I realised; this
      time it wasn't Star Wars, it wasn't E.T. It was
      fucking Pinocchio! The Blue Fairy! I worked with
      him for about six months and I couldn't get rid of
      that Blue Fairy'

      Perhaps what 'A.I.' demonstrates is that even the
      combination of two of the greatest talents in
      American cinema, Spielberg and Kubrick, plus a
      small army of scriptwriters, plus the the best
      production people in the world, could not crack
      the script.