Staged Reading of Shailja Patel's Bwagamoyo (Migritude II) in Oakland, Saturday!

  • spp01slamsister
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2009
      OAKOPOLIS GALLERY

      is proud to present

      international award-winning poet, theatre artist, activist

      SHAILJA PATEL

      in a one-time only staged reading of her new work

      BWAGAMOYO: THE FATHER
      Part II of Migritude - An Epic Journey In Four Movements

      Oakopolis Gallery  , 447 25th Street (between Broadway and Telegraph). 19th Street Oakland BART

      http://oakopolis.org/gallery/ 2009/shailja.html

      3 pm - 5 pm

      $5 - $20 sliding scale

      Special Guest Actor: Zac Drake

      Audience Q and A follows performance.

      Migritude reclaims and celebrates the dignity of outsider status.

      The four works that make up the Migritude Cycle draw on the artist's Hindu spiritual heritage. Conceived as an "Epic Journey In Four Movements", Migritude references the earliest religious teaching imparted to Hindu children: that of the First Four Gods. The Hindu child is taught that her first god is her Mother. The second god is her Father. The third god is her Teacher. The fourth god is The Guest.

      Part I of the Migritude Cycle, When Saris Speak (The Mother), is a 90-minute spoken word theatre show, which has toured internationally, and was selected for the 2007 season premiere of KQED's Spark! Arts and Culture Programme. Watch it here.

      Part II of the Migritude Cycle addresses the second archetype in the Four Gods theme: The Father.

      This work explores constructions of masculinity and race under colonialism. It examines how the architecture of Empire is codified on the bodies of men: brown, black, and white. How muscles can dismantle masculinities. How patriots become patriarchs. How daughters confront fathers.

      The title, Bwagamoyo â€" draws on two Swahili words: Bwaga â€" to dump, and Moyo â€" heart. Bwagamoyo was the original name given to two specific locations on the Swahili Coast: the town in Tanzania where slaves were brought from the inland and held for shipping, and a small island in the Zanzibar archipelago that was a holding prison for slaves. Both are now known as Bagamoyo. The original Bwagamoyo was a chilling admonition to the kidnapped human beings to literally dump their hearts, meaning their humanity, at these spots, since they would no longer use or need them once they left as slave cargo. Bwagamoyo is an equally apt metaphor for the socialization of boys into the kinds of manhood shaped by colonial power.

        More at www.shailja.com
      Please note:

      The venue is a small gallery space that seats 40 comfortably, 50 max. So I strongly encourage you to get on the reservations list to secure your seat. If you have already confirmed attendance on Facebook, you're on the list.

      We will seat people on the list first,  from 2.30pm to 2.45pm. At 2.45pm, we will open up remaining seats  (if there are any left)  to everyone else.

      Also note that the venue does not have a public restroom. The nearest one is at Mama Buzz Cafe round the corner on Telegraph. If you need to make use of it, please be respectful and buy something at the cafe - support small local independent businesses that build and sustain our community!