MHF: Kearny Street Writers Workshop Reunion & much more!

  • Manilatown Heritage Foundation
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2008
      mhf_ebanner1.jpg picture by DiFlooism
      ctrl, right click on images to view larger or click on image to direct you to a site for more details.

      Hello kaibigan!

      "Reunited and it feels so good!" That's right folks! On September 6, 2008, the MHF and Kearny Street Workshop are inviting you to the reunion of a lifetime where we will continue to celebrate Al Robles and his influence on our community. It's from 7 to 9 pm, and it's FREE!

      Looking to be a part of history? Then volunteer for the Filipino Housing Collaborative to help fight for affordable housing in San Francisco . Spread the word to vote for Prop B, and create miracles to the communities of the City by the Bay.

      Remember the word your parents used to scare you with: "moomo?" Well come reminisce and laugh with us with this week's Filipino Senior Movie-Ispiritista: Itay May Moomoo on August 26 from 4-6 pm.

      There's a lot more going on at the MHF, so don't forget to visit our website or stop by the center. We would love to see you there!

      1. Kearny Street Writers Workshop Reunion: 09.06: 7 pm
      2.
      Filipino Senior Movie: Ispiritista: Itay May Moomoo, 08.26: 4-6 pm
      3. Spooky Mo Book Event: 09.26: 5:30 pm

      4. Manilatown CA Archival Project: Needs your help!!
      5. Computer Lab Hours: Free for the Seniors: Every Wednesday of the month
      6. Volunteer Opportunities: Assist FHC w/ Yes on Prob B Campaign
      7. Donation Opportunity: Silent Auction Items needed/Place an Ad
      8. Community Events: "Filipinos in the East Bay" book launch: 09:25: 6:30 pm

      For more details, see below.

      All program events are held at the
      International Hotel Manilatown Center (unless otherwise noted)
      868 Kearny Street (& Jackson)
      San Francisco, CA 94108
      Gallery Hours: TUE-SAT 1-6 PM
      P: 415.399.9580
      F: 415.399.9581
      Admission is FREE, but donations are welcome & tax-deductible!

      1. KEARNY STREET WORKSHOP WRITERS REUNION

      The Inspiration of Al Robles continues!
      Manilatown Heritage Foundation and Kearny Street Workshop invite you to a special reunion of the Kearny Street Workshop Writers that Al was part of in the 70s.

      Join Al Robles, Lou Syquia and others for an evening of poetry, wine and food (potluck).
      Open MIc after the reading.

      kswwr_flyer3.jpg picture by manilatown
      September 6, 2008
      7-9 PM FREE with donation of food or drink for potluck
      AND
      Last chance to see the Manongs of Manilatown exhibit-
      MofMal1.jpg picture by manilatown

      Exhibition: July 26-September 6, 2008
      Artwork by: Tony Remington, Chris Huie and others
      Fireplace Installation: Audio Producer, Robynn Takayama

      Check out the rarely seen photographs of Filipino elders in Manilatown and the historic International Hotel while listening to the unheard stories of Al Robles, founder of the Manilatown Senior Center
      and inspirational poet through an audio installation.

      You can also check out some of the audio clips on
      http://alrobles.manilatown.org/

      2. FILIPINO SENIOR MOVIE - FREE

      Tuesday
      August 26th
      4-6pm

      big_2795_f.jpg picture by manilatown

      Ispiritista:
      Itay May Moomoo

      A sudden widower, Victor (Vic Sotto) finds himself solely responsible for raising his son, Tom Tom (B.J. Forbes). To make money, he claims to be a medium who can speak with the dead and, for a price, soothe restless spirits. Tom Tom, however, discovers that he actually has the powers his father only pretends to possess. Will Victor be exposed as a fraud, or will Tom Tom help his lonely dad win the heart of the lovely, ghost-troubled Lalaine?  ENGLISH SUBTITLES

      3. SPOOKY MO BOOK EVENT

      Please join us for a delightful evening with the Seven Deadly Sins when Marivi Soliven Blanco reads from Spooky Mo. The nine stories in her collection add mordant humor and a diasporic dimension of the manananggal, bangungot and mangkukulam when these mythical Philippine friends torment their victims across international borders.

      September 26, 2008
      5:30 pm

      SpookyMoFlyer_bb.jpg picture by manilatown

      4. MANILATOWN CA ARCHIVAL PROJECT
          Needs Your Help!

      The Manilatown CA Archival Project Needs Your Help!
      The archive team is embarking on an Archive Identification Project.  We are trying to identify the donors, photographers, individuals and signifance of photos within Manilatown's I-Hotel collection.  We hope to gather information and insight from people who know the history of these photos.

      For more info contact Ellen-Rae Cachola, Archival Coordinator @ ellenrae@...

      5. COMPUTER LAB HOURS
           Free for the Seniors
           Every Wednesday of the month
           3-6 PM

      Learn how to use the basics in computer technology for everyday life. So, don't waste your money on Calling Cards or wait 3 weeks to receive a letter. Talk to your loved ones through email, instant messenger, and share your pictures with loved ones across the world right away! Check out the workshop, it's FREE!

      Contact Isaac, at isaac-o@... for more details.

      6. VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES

      Volunteer to help Filipino Housing Collaborative with phone banking and getting the word out!

      Take a stand for
      affordable housing in San Francisco!
      Vote YES on Prop B!

      Prop B means:
      • San Francisco will build more affordable housing for low  and moderate- income people
      • San Francisco will commit a minimum of $33 million a year to build affordable housing
      • San Francisco will build affordable housing for low and moderate-income families, instead of just luxury condos! Families can't wait!

      To find out how you can join the fight or get more information, call 415.777.1130.

      I-Hotel Manilatown Center is seeking enthusiastic volunteers to help out in an array of different activities, such as tech, outreach, historical archiving and more.

      Interested in volunteering, email Isaac at isaac-o@....

      7. DONATION OPPORTUNITY

      Silent Auction Items Needed!
      It's that time again! Manilatown Heritage Foundation is having their 2nd Annual Dinner, Dance and Silent Auction this Oct 4th at the Cathedral Hill Hotel. Last year, our guests had a blast bidding on great art pieces from the Philippines. This year, we want to bring it back with more great things for our guests to enjoy.

      Place an ad in our Souvenir Program
      Community Organizations and Companies, this is the best opportunity to promote what you are all about! Place an ad from a business card to a full page flyer in our next Souvenir Program.

      MHFad.jpg picture by manilatown

      If you have any items that you would like to donate or would like to place an ad in our Souvenir Program, give DiAnne or Chelsea a call at 415.777.1130 or email us at mhf@....

      8. COMMUNITY EVENTS

      -Filipino American National Historical Society - East Bay Chapter's book "Filipinos in the East Bay."

      Authors: Vangie Canonizado Buell, Evelyn Luluquisen, Ellie
      Luis, Lillian Galedo

      Book Launch
      Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 6:30 pm
      International House at UC Berkeley
      2299 Piedmont

      Our book is the feature of the I-House "Globalization Series."  This
      will be a celebration of the Filipino community of the East Bay. We
      hope you will be able to attend the reception. Your families and
      friends are welcome. If you have purchased a book, please bring it
      to do an exchange of signatures by people featured in the book.

      The book will also be available for sale at $20 a copy. There will be
      food and music.

      We look forward to seeing you. Please call Vangie Buell for more
      information or questions, 510-528-8177

      VISIT US @
      mhflogomdcmp.gif picture by DiFlooism
      Our mission is to promote social and economic justice to Filipinos in America by preserving our history, advocating equal access and advancing our arts and culture.

      www.myspace.com/sfmanilatown
      www.youtube.com/sfmanilatown
      www.filipinopeople.com/sfmanilatown
      www.facebook.com
      www.yellowbrickmall.com/manilatown.php

      ALSO, check out our 4 Filipino Centers Collaboration partners:
      http://www.bayanihancc.org/
      http://www.bindlestiffstudio.org/
      http://www.thesffcc.com/

      MHF merchandise available online at
      http://manilatown.org/store.htm

      Donate to the Manilatown Heritage Foundation
      (donations are tax-deductible)
      Make checks payable to
      Manilatown Heritage Foundation
      953 Mission Street, Suite #30
      San Francisco, CA 94103

      logos_e.jpg picture by DiFlooism

       irvine-HorizontalLogoTagline.jpg picture by manilatown
      Zellerbachlogo.jpg picture by manilatownsfaclogo.jpg picture by manilatown
      gerbodelogo.jpg picture by manilatown