MHF: Colonial Mentality Panel Discussion, MHF t-shirt contest 2008 & more

  • Manilatown Heritage Foundation
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2008

      mhf_ebanner1.jpg picture by DiFlooism
      ctrl, right click on images to view larger or click on image to direct you to a site for more details.

      Hey Folks!

      Do you visit the Manilatown website? If so, help us refine the website by filling out our survey, http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=NxvWrA0oOaN6Cj1jJBkw7Q_3d_3d. It is beneficial for our organization to better serve our community.

      Next Wednesday night, join us at the center for a panel discussion based upon Felicia Perez's MA project titled: Ancestral Healing: Biracial Identity Confusion Among Filipino-Anglo Americans.

      August 4th is approaching soon and we are going to need t-shirts to go with our celebration! So, if you have the hunger to design a t-shirt, please send us your submission that promotes inspiration of the I-Hotel struggle and the SF Manilatown community. It will help promote awareness for the future and inspire them to preserve our rich community.

      1.   Gallery Exhibition: Behind Closed Dollars
      2.   MHF's 2nd Annual T-Shirt Design Contest: Accepting Submissions
      3.   Manilatown Heritage Foundation Website: Survey
      4.   Computer Lab Hours: Free for the Seniors
      5.   Senior (Filipino) Movie: Paraiso: Tatlong Kwento Ng Pag-Asa
      6.   Volunteer Opportunities: Volunteer at the Center
      7.   Filipino Housing Collaborative: Calling All No on 98 Volunteers!
      8.   Community Events: Autonomous Region "I-Hotel" Performance
                                         Tagalog Classes at the Bayanihan Center
      9.   Donation Opportunity: Cole Hardware Community Partner Program

      All program events are held at the
      International Hotel Manilatown Center (unless otherwise noted)
      868 Kearny Street (& Jackson)
      San Francisco, CA 94108
      Gallery Hours: TUE-SAT 1-6 PM
      P: 415.399.9580
      F: 415.399.9581
      Admission is FREE, but donations are welcome & tax-deductible!

      1. GALLERY EXHIBITION
          Behind Closed Dollars

        part of our overall annual theme "Globalization: Response & Responsibility,"

      closeddollars_front2.jpg picture by manilatown

      Exhibition: May 10 - July 19, 2008
      Artwork by: Carl Angel, Lucien Kubo, Doug Minkler, Johanna Poethig, Shizue Seigel
      Auxiliary Events: Wednesday, June 4, 2008 6:30-8:30 pm
                                       Panel Discussion: Colonial Mentality
                                       Based upon Felicia Perez's MA project titled: Ancestral Healing:
                                       Biracial Identity Confusion Among Filipino-Anglo Americans
                                       Speakers: Felicia Perez & others
                                       Friday, June 13, 2008 7 pm
                                       Film Screening: "Freedom Fighters"
                                       w/ Director Johnny Cabaddu & Producer Wayie Ly
                                       Scheduled Appearance: Yuri Kochiyama
                                       Suggested donation: Sliding scale $5-10
                                       Saturday, June 21, 2008 8 pm
                                       Pagbabalik (return) CD Release Party
                                       w/ Aimee Suzara, Ron Quesada & special guests

      2. MHF'S 2ND ANNUAL T-SHIRT DESIGN CONTEST
          Accepting Submissions

      tshirt_flyer08_promote.jpg picture by manilatown

      LeRoid David was our 1st annual t-shirt design winner! YOU could be our next!

      Grand prize is $100 CASH!

      SUBMISSION DATES: May 12– June 3

      To enter, visit, http://www.manilatown.org/contest.htm  or email mhf@... on specific rules and regulations!

      3. Manilatown Heritage Foundation Website
          Survey

      One of our Social Marketing members has developed a survey that will help in refining our Manilatown Heritage Foundation website. Your input is greatly appreciated and valued in order for us to better serve you, our community who visit the site!

      Please, fill out this survey at your earliest convenience
      http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=NxvWrA0oOaN6Cj1jJBkw7Q_3d_3d

      4. COMPUTER LAB HOURS
           Free for the Seniors
           Every Wednesday of the month
           3-6 PM

      Learn how to use the basics in computer technology for everyday life. So, don't waste your money on Calling Cards or wait 3 weeks to receive a letter. Talk to your loved ones through email, instant messenger, and share your pictures with loved ones across the world right away! Check out the workshop, it's FREE!

      Contact Isaac, at isaac-o@...

      5. SENIOR (FILIPINO) MOVIE
          FREE

      Paraiso: Tatlong Kwento Ng Pag-Asa
      Tuesday, May 27, 2008 4-6 pm

      paraiso.jpg picture by manilatown

      Three uplifting stories of faith, compassion and courage provide the framework for this inspirational film. First, Jocelyn (Maricel Soriano), a victim of the mudslides in Leyte, finds strength in the face of tragedy; next, a family's adoption of a neglected young boy brings healing; and in the final chapter, widower Rudy Abad (Cesar Montano) decides to build a village in the Philippines in memory of his wife, who died in the Sept. 11 attacks.
      ENGLISH SUBTITLES INCLUDED

      6. VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES

      I-Hotel Manilatown Center is seeking enthusiastic volunteers to help out in an array of different activities, such as tech, outreach, historical archiving and more.

      Interested in volunteering, email Isaac at isaac-o@....

      7. FILIPINO HOUSING COLLABORATIVE

      Calling All No on 98 Volunteers!

      fhcflyerenglish.jpg picture by manilatown

      Who:    YOU and your FRIENDS!
      What:   No on 98/YES on 99 PHONEBANKING & other volunteer opportunities
      Where: Bayanihan Community Center
                   1010 Mission Street (c/s: 6th St.)
      When: Monday-Friday, May 9-June 2 from 5:30-7:30 pm
      RSVP: Contact Josh Castro at SOMCAN (415) 348-1945 or email jcastro@somcan. org

      Please r.s.v.p. when you can come since our phonelines are limited. No experience required, we will train you!

      There's other ways to also help out beside phonebanking, so, please hook up with us!

      IT IS IMPORTANT to Vote on both Propositions 98 and 99!!

       Everyone who values renter protections should vote on June 3, 2008!
      GET THE WORD OUT! TELL YOUR NEIGHBORS!

      REGISTER TO VOTE! MARK YOUR CALENDAR FOR THE JUNE 3, 2008 ELECTION.

      More information:
      No98Yes99.com (or EminentDomainReform .com)
      SaveRentControl. net
      Coalition for Economic Survival: cesinaction. org
      register to vote: sos.ca.gov/election s/elections_ vr.htm
      calvoter.org/ voter/faq. html#reg

      To read more on NO on Prop 98, YES on Prop 99, visit http://manilatown.org/mhfhousing.htm.

      8. COMMUNITY EVENTS

          Check out http://manilatown.org/events.htm#community for upcoming community events.

           AUTONOMOUS REGION PERFORMS "I-HOTEL" SONG

      Celebrate Spring with The Autonomous Region, 2008’s Locus Arts Do-It-Yourself Video Contest Winner and a featured band at the 2008 San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival.
      The Autonomous Region will be the headliner at several May performances where you can hear and watch DIY award-winner  “I-Hotel” and other community-conscious urban rock originals from their newly released “Forbidden City” album.
      autonomous053108.gif picture by manilatown

      Saturday, May 31st at The Starry Plough Pub & Nightclub will be a multimedia event, when Autonomous teams up with soulful rock bands HOE & The Fainting Goats and screens their 2008 DIY-winning music video, “I-Hotel.”  Show starts at 9:30pm at 3101 Shattuck Avenue in Berkley.
      The Autonomous Region is proud and honored to announce that all of their May 2008 appearances are co-sponsored by The Manilatown Heritage Foundation and Locus Arts.  For more information, please visit The Autonomous Region’s websites at: www.theautonomousregion.com and www.myspace.com/theautonomousregion.

           TAGALOG CLASSES AT BAYANIHAN CENTER

      Looking for a Tagalog class?

      www.tagalogclasses.com

      Conversational Tagalog
      7-week session June 9-July 28, 2008 (no class on July 21)
      6:00-8:00 PM Mondays, (the last 2 classes will be 2.5 hours)

      The group class at the Bayanihan Community Center emphasize practical phrases and grammatical strategies that will get you speaking confidently within days. The class will cover greetings and introductions, description of people and places, stating preferences or non-preferences, counting, shopping, telling time and basic usage of verbs. By the end of the class, students would be able to formulate sentences, have a working vocabulary of about 100-600 words, and be able to carry on a basic conversation.

      Location: Bayanihan Community Center
      1010 Mission Street
      San Francisco CA 94103

      To register and for more information:
      go to
      http://bayanihancc.org/calendar.html
      or call 415-348-8042 - Bayanihan Center

      9. DONATION OPPORTUNITY
          Coleman Hardware Community Partner Program

      PARTNERSHIP!

      COLE HARDWARE IS GIVING

      Manilatown Heritage Foundation

      10% OF YOUR PURCHASES!

      Manilatown Heritage Foundation is a member of Cole Hardware’s School
      and Community Partnership program.
      Cole Hardware gives us 10% of purchases
      made by you, every day of the year!
      Earn money for Manilatown Heritage Foundation
      while shopping for your hardware needs at
      any Cole Hardware location. The more
      you spend, the more they donate to us!
      Ask the cashier to post your purchase to Manilatown Heritage Foundation.
      It’s that simple! You can donate to our
      wishlist account, from which we can purchase
      from Cole Hardware at a substantial discount.
      That will really help!

      CH_graylogo_hires.jpg picture by DiFlooism

      Don't forget to Indicate our account #21262 when checking out!

      VISIT US @
      mhflogomdcmp.gif picture by DiFlooism
      Our mission is to promote social and economic justice to Filipinos in America by preserving our history, advocating equal access and advancing our arts and culture.

      www.myspace.com/sfmanilatown
      www.youtube.com/sfmanilatown
      www.filipinopeople.com/sfmanilatown
      www.yellowbrickmall.com/manilatown.php

      MHF merchandise available online at
      http://manilatown.org/store.htm

      Donate to the Manilatown Heritage Foundation
      (donations are tax-deductible)
      Make checks payable to
      Manilatown Heritage Foundation
      953 Mission Street, Suite #30