Radio Apex

  • Gina Hotta
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1, 2006

      Apex Express: Asian Pacific Islander radio
      Thursdays 7PM-8PM, KPFA 94.1 FM, KFCF Fresno, www.kpfa.org
      Aug. 3: It's that time again...hip-hop in the API diaspora with Shing02 - an MC on both sides of the Pacific who also uses his music to stop a nuclear processing plant in Japan.  Hear his CDs and learn about his collaborations with Ryuichi Sakamoto -formerly of Yellow Magic Orchestra- and DJ Krush.  And DJ Phatrick brings his Hot 7 mix on-air along with host Maya.  Plus news, calendar and more.  Apex Contacts: apex@...; 510-848-6767x464; for the Apex hip-hop show www.myspace.com/apexexpress ; www.apexexpress.org for more articles and clips.

    • Gina Hotta
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 9, 2006

        Apex Express: Asian Pacific Islander radio....catch it
        Thursdays 7PM-8PM, KPFA 94.1 FM, KFCF Fresno, www.kpfa.org (on-line listening; past programs)
        Thurs. Aug. 10:  A special on the horrors unleashed in the Middle East pre-empts Apex.  We're back on-air Aug. 17 with award-winning journalist Pratap Chatterjee and we'll hear about a performance that has Bruce Lee behind the wheel and on the road.  Also, stay tuned as we gear up for APAture - Kearny Street Workshop's major showcase of API arts.  We'll preview preformances and learn about how KSW is a major force in shaping the community both past and present. Plus music, calendar and more... Contacts: for more articles and clips: www.apexexpress.org; 510-848-6767x464, apex@....

      • Gina Hotta
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 15, 2006

          Apex Express: Asian Pacific Islander radio....catch it
          Thursdays 7PM-8PM, KPFA 94.1 FM, KFCF Fresno, www.kpfa.org
          Thurs. Aug. 17:  A Muslim Voice honors a father whose son was killed in a hate crime.  We'll find out why and also about their conference this weekend.  Apex also hears from members of the South Asian community about actions in support of civil liberities in this time of strife.  And Bruce Lee on a road trip? Find out about Fringe Festival performer Steven Low with host Pratap Chatterjee.  Plus music, calendar and more... Contacts: for more articles and clips: www.apexexpress.org; 510-848-6767x464, apex@....

        • Gina Hotta
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 22, 2006

            Apex Express: Asian Pacific Islander radio....catch it
            Thursdays 7PM-8PM, KPFA 94.1 FM, KFCF Fresno, www.kpfa.org
            Thurs. Aug. 24:  One year in the wake of Katrina: as Vietnamese Americans return to New Orleans, hear about their  little-known struggles to re-settle in an ever-changing situation.  We talk with Mimi Nguyen who is helping the East New Orleans community prevent debris dumping near their homes. Also for more sounds and words on New Orleans go to: www.apexexpress.org.   And, it has been three decades and Kearny Street Workshop is still spearheading the API arts movement.  Learn how their APAture showcase is part of on-going efforts to inspire and activate new artists as we talk with organizers Samantha Chanse and Nirmala Nataraj.  Plus music, calendar and more... Contacts: 510-848-6767x464, apex@....

          • Gina Hotta
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 29, 2006

              Apex Express: Asian Pacific Islander radio....catch it
              Thursdays 7PM-8PM, KPFA 94.1 FM, KFCF Fresno, www.kpfa.org
              Thurs. Aug. 31:  As Lt. Ehren Watada faces a possible seven-year prison sentence, we talk with Lt. Watada's father about why his son refuses to deploy to Iraq and how his son is faring in the face of a possible court martial.  And hear how Micropixie mixes Motown sounds and her own music.  Apex's Maya talks with Micropixie about her persona as an "alien with special abilities" in Steviewonderland.  Plus music, calendar and more... Contact: 510-848-6767x464, apex@... or www.apexexpress.org.

            • Gina Hotta
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 13, 2006

                Apex Express: Asian Pacific Islander radio....catch it
                Thursdays 7PM-8PM, KPFA 94.1 FM, KFCF Fresno, www.kpfa.org

                Thurs. Sept.14:  Racial profiling, forced exile, and violations of human rights are fall-outs from 9-11.  After five years, hear about where we stand in its wake and on-going cases from Special Registration as we talk with members of DRUM.  And we cover the APAture Asian American arts showcase with Asian Crisis. Asian Crisis ' sound is inspired by musical traditions of Asia, including China , India , Korea , the Philippines , as well as American musical forms such as jazz and R&B, resulting in a fresh take on Asian American music.

                Plus music, news-calendar and more.  Contact: 510-848-6767x464; apex@...; for more stories: www.apexexpress.org

              • Gina Hotta
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 10, 2006

                  Apex Express: Asian Pacific Islander radio....catch it
                  Thursdays 7PM-8PM, KPFA 94.1 FM, KFCF Fresno, www.kpfa.org
                  Thurs. Oct. 12:  As resistance to the war in Iraq increases, we'll look at the war in Vietnam to see the stresses and similarities in these conflicts.  Listen to two documentaries: one about Asian American Vietnam veterans fighting in a war against Asians, the other about soldiers who became war resistors in Vietnam.  We'll be giving away these documentaries for your support during this KPFA fund-drive -- as well as two unique CDs: one by Shing02, the other a KSW compilation.  So please call in your donation during Apex!  Thanks to all who did so last week...Contact: 510-848-6767x464; apex@...; for more stories: www.apexexpress.org. For Apex's hip-hip site: www.myspace.com/apexexpress

                • Gina Hotta
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jan 30, 2007

                    Apex Express: Asian Pacific Islander radio.
                    Thursday, February 1
                    7PM-8PM, KPFA 94.1 FM, KFCF Fresno, www.kpfa.org

                    What time is it?   It's...IT'S...fund-drive time!  and what better time to launch this February than with the love of hip hop!  This week we have the great pleasure of speaking with Award-winning author, Maxine Hong Kingston, on her recently edited book, "Veterans of War, Veterans of Peace", which include work by a community of writers from veterans, to gang members, to draft resisters working together to heal the trauma of war through art.  As a premium Apex offers this special book and an extra-special treat!..the new Native Guns Stray Bullets mix tape Vol. 2, hot off the press and lovingly provided by the one and only, DJ Phatrick.  Hear this exclusive debut in our HOT 7 AT 7 mix...every first thursday...keep it locked!

                    Plus  music, calendar & more.... Contact: 510-848-6767x464; apex@...; for more stories: www.apexexpress.org For Apex's hip-hop site: www.myspace.com/apexexpress.org

                    (pls. excuse duplicates)

                  • Gina
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 30, 2007
                      Apex Express: Asian Pacific Islander radio
                      Thursdays 7PM-8PM, KPFA 94.1 FM, KFCF Fresno, www.kpfa.org
                      Thurs. May 31:

                      Join us for a very special Thursday as KPFA volunteers and friends of roots kommunikation brings you the Indo-Pacific Edge, the annual API Heritage Month Special, directly following Apex Express. This means 5 full hours of back to back API radio programming from 7pm to 12am on KPFA!

                      To jump start the evening, Apex Express brings you breaking news on a police brutality case in San Jose. Members of the Justice for Custodio Family Committee, Rowena Tomaneng and Malou Custodio, will speak on this case involving five police officers and three Filipino family members.

                      We will also be speaking about the new book, Driven Out, and the persecution of the Chinese during the 1800's.

                      And music, sweet music, theater music! We will also be speaking with the musicians of Pagbabalik (Return), a multi-disciplinary play exploring dimensions of spirit, immigration, life, and death, specifically about their process working on original theatrical music for a play involving poetry, movement, and spirits. ( www.myspace.com/pagbabalik)

                      Plus community calendar, and more! Contact: 510-848-6767x464; apex@... ; for more stories: www.apexexpress.org. For Apex 's hip-hop site: www.myspace.com/apexexpress.org

                      KEEP IT LOCKED FOR THE API HERITAGE MONTH SPECIAL.......

                      "THE INDO~PACIFIC EDGE: TOUCHING AFRICA, ASIA, THE ISLANDS, AND THE GREAT TURTLE ISLAND"
                      * The annual API Heritage Month special on KPFA *

                      THURSDAY, May 31st
                      8:00PM Pacific Time
                      until 12midnight

                      LIVE WEBKAST/FREE mp3's archived at: www.kpfa.org
                      LIVE FM RADIO BROADKAST from:
                      KPFA~FM 94.1 Berkeley
                      KFCF~FM 88.1 Fresno

                    • Gina
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 10, 2007
                        Apex Express: Asian Pacific Islander radio
                        Thursdays 7PM-8PM, KPFA 94.1 FM, KFCF Fresno,
                        www.kpfa.org

                        In commemoration of Filipino American History month:

                        Thurs. Oct. 11: We talk to Myron Dean Quon, lawyer for Frannie Richards, a Filipina American "who suffered anti-Asian and sex-based harassment at the H&M department store in Chicago. The harassment included "mail-order bride" comments, ridicule concerning Ms. Richards' ability to understand English, as well as mocking 'ching, ching, chang' noises by an H&M employee." Hear about the recent protest, the pending case, and details about what happened

                        Also:
                        Join us as we interview Tallulah, the Filipina-American co-host of Speak Out, a "town hall" debate program on The Filipino Channel. Speak Out is "designed as the venue for the youth to: speak their minds; talk about what matters to them; discuss hot-button topics from a Pinoy point of view; and finally, to be heard."

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 11, 2007
                          Apex Express: Asian Pacific Islander radio
                          Thursdays 7PM-8PM, KPFA 94.1 FM, KFCF Fresno,
                          www.kpfa.org

                          Thurs. Dec. 13:
                          Join your hosts DJ Phatrick & Adriel Luis as we hear updates on the Alameda Police terrorization and harassment of Oakland Southeast Asian youth in their efforts to solve the murder of Ichinkhorloo 'Iko' Bayarsaikhan, a 16-year-old Mongolian youth. We'll talk to a family member of a victim of harassment and AYPAL (Asian/Pacific Island Youth Promoting Advocacy & Leadership), the organization spearheading the campaign speaking out against the harassment and mainstream media's distorted reporting of the incident.

                          Plus, we peruse the mind of Ali Wong, San Francisco's craziest Chinese-Vietnamese female stand-up comedian.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 5, 2008
                            Apex Express: Asian Pacific Islander radio
                            Thursdays 7PM-8PM, KPFA 94.1 FM, KFCF Fresno,
                            www.kpfa.org : on-line listening, past shows

                            Thurs. Mar. 6th: The Pretty Buoyant Show is back in effect after a month long hiatus!
                            Join hosts DJ Phatrick and Adriel Luis as we interview Japanese American filmmaker Tad Nakamura about his acclaimed film, PILGRIMAGE, which tells the story about how the rediscovery of a Japanese internment camp in the 60' s galvanized the budding Asian American movement and provided a means for us, especially in the aftermath of 9/11, to never forget a nation's xenophobic abuse of power, then and now.
                            www.myspace.com/pilgrimagethemovie

                            Also, we spit game with PISEAS, an emcee of Chamoru descent, about the independent hip hop hustle.
                            www.myspace.com/piseas

                            Plus, DJ Phatrick's Hot 7 @ 7 mix, community calendar, and more!