Fwd: This Saturday: Writers With Drinks featuring Karen Joy Fowler, Beth Lisick, Fetish Diva Midori, Barbara Jane Reyes, Terry Bisson and Killing My Lobster!

  • barbara jane reyes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2005

      Charlie from other magazine <charlie@...> wrote:
      From: "Charlie from other magazine" <charlie@...>
      To: <charlie@...>
      Subject: This Saturday: Writers With Drinks featuring Karen Joy Fowler, Beth Lisick, Fetish Diva Midori, Barbara Jane Reyes, Terry Bisson and Killing My Lobster!
      Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 12:56:25 -0800

      This month's Writers With Drinks will be extra special because we're
      offering free dialysis in the women's bathroom. We borrowed a dialysis
      machine from St. Mary's Hospital, and we've converted the hot-air hand dryer
      into a power source for it. This is the latest generation of dialysis
      machines, meaning we can filter *anything* out of your blood! If your blood
      is teeming with lustful thoughts after hearing Fetish Diva Midori read from
      Wild Side Sex, we can remove those elements completely! If Terry Bisson's
      science fiction stirs your blood, stop by the women's bathroom and we will
      un-stir it! It's completely scientific! We can make you as anemic as you
      need to be. We can also add things to your blood, including aromatherapy
      elements -- so when you bleed it will smell like lavender or sandalwood. You
      will be popular!

      More details:
      -------------

      Date: Saturday, December 10, 2005, 7:30 to 9:30 PM, doors open at 7:00 PM
      What: WRITERS WITH DRINKS
      A fundraiser for other (www.othermag.org) a magazine for people who don't
      feel represented by mainstream media categories. Other #9 coming soon!
      Featuring: Karen Joy Fowler, Beth Lisick, Terry Bisson, Fetish Diva Midori,
      Barbara Jane Reyes and Killing My Lobster
      Location: The Make Out Room, 3225 22nd. St. between Mission and Valencia,
      San Francisco
      Admission: $3 to $5 sliding scale, all proceeds benefit other

      Charlie Anders MCs and vamps
      Email for more info: charlie@...

      About the readers/performers:

      Karen Joy Fowler is the author of The Jane Austen Book Club and the
      PEN/Faulkner award finalist Sister Noon. Her other books include Black
      Glass, The Sweetheart Season and Sarah Canary. She's a co-founder of the
      James Tiptree Jr. Award. She won the 1999 World Fantasy Award for Black
      Glass and was nominated for Hugo and Nebula Awards for her story "Standing
      Room Only." Sarah Canary won the Commonwealth Award for Best First Novel.

      Beth Lisick is the author of Everyone Into the Pool: True Tales, This Too
      Can Be Yours, and Monkey Girl. She's made three films, including Diving For
      Pearls and Fumbling Towards Rock. She co-hosts the acclaimed Porchlight
      storytelling series, and she leads a band, The Beth Lisick Ordeal. She also
      writes the Buzz Town column for sfgate.com and is one half of comedy duo
      Mitzi Fitzsimmons and Carole Murphy.

      Fetish Diva Midori is the author of Wild Side Sex: The Book Of Kink
      Educational, Sensual and Entertaining Essays, The Seductive Art of Japanese
      Bondage and The Beauty of Fetish, among others. She's appeared on HBO,
      Playboy TV, BBC and German television. She's the founder of Fire Horse
      Productions, which provides fetish/SM educational materials to adults.

      Terry Bisson has won the Nebula, Hugo, Sturgeon and Locus awards for science
      fiction. His stories and novels include The Pickup Artist, Dear Abbey and
      Bears Discover Fire. He also wrote On A Move, a biography of journalist and
      death-row political prisoner Mumia Abu Jamal.

      Barbara Jane Reyes is the author of Gravities of Center, a book of poems.
      Her work was recently nominated for a Pushcart Prize, and has appeared in
      Asian Pacific American Journal, Chain, Interlope, Nocturnes (Re)view, North
      American Review, Papertiger, Tinfish, Versal and several anthologies,
      including Red Light and Going Home To A Landscape.

      Killing My Lobster has released several comedy DVDs, including The Wonderful
      World of Science and Killing My Lobster Kisses A Toad. Killing My Lobster
      has produced over two dozen themed comedy shows and 14 short films that have
      screened at over 40 film festivals. The group also produces the hi/lo film
      festival and the Killing My Lobster Kabarets.