Shailja in June - First Excerpts from my One-Woman Show

  • spp01slamsister
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005
      For everyone who's ever asked me "When are you going to do a one-
      woman show?" I finally have an answer. I'm doing it. On a daily basis
      it stretches, expands, challenges, terrifies, exhilarates and
      educates me beyond anything I expected. On June 21st, you can be a
      part of the first audience to hear 40 minutes of the work-in-
      progress, currently titled "Migritude." See full details below – and
      read more about it at the end of this email.

      In community,

      Shailja

      www.kearnystreet.org/programs/ksw-
      next/apature2004/artists/Shailjapatel.html

      SUMMARY

      SHAILJA'S JUNE PERFORMANCES (Full Details Below)

      1) June 1, Berkeley Slam, Starry Plough, Berkeley
      2) June 3,SFPO Buzz Party, 111 Minna, San Francisco
      3) June 4, Voices Rising, Blue Cube, San Francisco
      4) June 21, Asia Society, MIGRITUDE, San Francisco

      BOOKINGS AND RESOURCES (Full details below)

      1) For all bookings and enquiries, please email me directly at
      shailjapatel@...
      2) Where to find my work online

      DETAILED LISTINGS

      JUNE PERFORMANCES

      (1)
      June 1st, Berkeley Slam Feature
      Slam begins at 8.30pm. I will perform around 10.15 –10.45pm
      $7 cover
      Starry Plough, Shattuck Avenue at Ashby, Berkeley

      (2)
      Friday, June 3, San Francisco People's Organization Convention Kick
      Off Party
      111 Minna Gallery, 111 Minna Street, SF
      6-9pm, $5-10 sliding scale, no one turned away for lack of funds.

      Hosted by Matt Gonzalez. Speakers: Ross Mirkarimi and Chris Daly
      Performances by: Shailja Patel, Ise Lyfe, La Plebe, and more!

      Don't miss the opening convention of the SFPO on June 11th, at Grace
      Cathedral. All day, starting 9am.

      (3)
      Saturday June 4, Voices Rising
      The Blue Cube, 34 Mason Street @ Market, San Francisco
      (Just 3 blocks from the Metreon and 1 block from BART)
      7:30 pm-late night! $10-25 Sliding Scale to Benefit Local Youth
      Projects
      Contact: 510-428-3939 x227 • allistarr@...

      The Blue Cube is the hottest, new, environmentally-conscious club in
      S.F. Two floors of music and art. Organic Food. All ages are welcome.

      Featuring devorah major, Goapele, Aya de Leon, Shailja
      Patel; Destiny Arts, live music by Dialectic and Soulography, and
      more.

      From June 1-5, mayors of over 100 of the planet's largest cities will
      be in SF for World Environment Day. Voices Rising is only one of a
      full calendar of Social Equity Track events. See
      www.ellabakercenter.org/WED*

      (4)
      Tuesday, June 21, Asia Society presents excerpts from MIGRITUDE
      (Shailja's work-in-progress)
      5.30pm registration, 6.00pm program
      Public Policy Institute of California, Founders' Room
      500 Washington Street (at Sansome), 5th Floor, San Francisco, 6
      blocks North of Montgomery BART
      For more info, call Shireen Pasha, Asia Society, 415-421-8707
      $7 members, cosponsors (available to everyone on this list), $10 non-
      members, $5 students

      Introduction by Junichi Semitsu, Director, Poetry 4 the People, UC
      Berkeley

      Read about MIGRITUDE at the end of this mailing.

      BOOKINGS AND RESOURCES
      (1)
      For all bookings and enquiries, please email me directly at
      shailjapatel@...

      (2)
      You can find my work online at:

      The South Asian Literature Archive – interview, audio files, poems
      www.thesala.com/profiles/shailja/shailja-bio.html
      See performances of Screaming and This Is How It Feels
      http://www.truthaboutsex.org/art.html

      SF Indy Media - video of my performance at Intersection For The Arts
      http://www.sf.indymedia.org/news/2002/11/1541468.php

      Read "Shilling Love" on Lodestar Quarterly – the best of queer
      writing online http://www.lodestarquarterly.com/work/201/

      MIGRITUDE

      A battered red suitcase holds my trousseau: eighteen heirloom saris,
      collected over 30 years by my mother, to pass down to me. MIGRITUDE
      unlocks the suitcase, reclaims voices and stories of migrant colonial
      subjects from erasures of 'official' history. The six yards of a sari
      both reveal and conceal female form; MIGRITUDE shows what is revealed
      and concealed by 'traditional' migrant narratives. The word itself, a
      play on Negritude and Attitude, asserts the dignity of outsider
      status.

      Each sari is woven of economic, cultural, political and personal
      history. As I unwind it, I unleash voices of women from Afghanistan,
      Kenya, Korea, India, Iraq, to tell of their lives in the bootprint of
      Empire.

      MIGRITUDE explores global themes; heritage, war, freedom, by making
      intimate family treasures public. Similarly, it expresses universal
      experiences of colonized peoples through the journeys of my own
      diasporic Indian family. Three cross-continental migrations shape the
      story: the early 20th-century migration of Indians to East Africa;
      the mass expulsion and emigration of East African Indians to the
      global North from the 1970s onwards, and my own emigration from
      Africa, to Europe, to the US. The sequence maps my personal
      transitions as a migrant: from survival to self-expression,
      invisibility to activism, model minority to radical artist.

      This presentation of Work-in-Progress excerpts from MIGRITUDE is co-
      sponsored by Asian Improv Arts, EKTA, Kearny Street Workshop, Locus
      Arts, Poetry 4 the People, and BART (in celebration of APA Heritage)

      Generous funding & support for MIGRITUDE has been provided by the
      Zellerbach Family Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett
      Foundation, Destiny Arts Center, and the Serpent Source Foundation.