APAture and Crashing the Airwaves

  • ksw
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004
      APAture, and last week to register for writing workshop with Daisy Hernandez hi

      just a note about some upcoming KSW events, particularly our 6th annual APAture festival, which kicks off on Tuesday, September 14th, with our visual exhibition opening reception. You can purchase advance, discount tickets for all APAture events on-line at www.manja.org. more information below, as well.

      save the date on Tuesday, October 19th for KSW's next intergenerational artist salon: Crashing the Airwaves: Radio Producers Go Off Script, with Gina Hotta, Pratap Chatterjee, and Rainjita Geesler, and moderated by Robynn Takayama. this event is the first event of Kearny Street Workshop's new residency at New Langton Arts, and i hope you'll be able to join us.

      more details below, or visit us at kearnystreet.org.

      sam
      * * * * *
      the 6th annual APAture: A Window on the Art of Young Asian Pacific Americans
      September 14 - 25, 2004

      Event Schedule

      All events at SomArts Cultural Center 934 Brannan Street, between 8th and 9th Streets San Francisco

      APAture Gallery Opening
      With Featured Artist in Visual
      Kana Tanaka.
      Tuesday, September 14, 7 - 9 PM
      $5 suggested donation.
      No one turned away for lack of funds.

      Endless Glory: An APAture Retrospective Benefit

      FEATURING Stuart Gaffney, Pireeni Sundaralingam, Frances Sedayao, SUZ Takeda, Josie Alvite, Jane Chen and Truong Tran.
      Wednesday, September 15
      Doors open 7:30 PM; Program 8 - 10 PM. Reception following program.
      $10

      APAture Film & Video Night

      With Featured Artist in Film
      Matthew Abaya
      Thursday, September 23
      Doors open 7 PM; Program 7:30 - 9:30 PM
      $10

      APAture Literary and Performance Night
      With APAture Literary Featured Artists
      Shailja Patel and Derek Kirk Kim
      Friday, September 24
      Doors open 7:30 PM; Program 8 - 10 PM
      $10

      APAture Main Event
      With APAture Featured Artists
      The 18 Mighty Mountain Warriors, The Skyflakes and Erika Shuch.
      Saturday, September 25
      1 PM - 1 AM
      $15 (
      $12 in advance)

      Advance and discount tickets available online at manja.org

      Thanks to our 2004 sponsors: Arizmendi Bakery Cooperative (SF), Blowfish Sushi, Hitachi, Lagunitas Brewing Co., Poketo, Rainbow Grocery, Sanrio, Stormm Graphicworks, Super7 and Trader Joe's; Hyphen Magazine and manja.org (media). APAture is made possible through support from the Asian Pacific Fund, California Arts Council, Zellerbach Family Fund, Grants for the Arts/Hotel Tax Fund, and individual donors.

      * * * * *
      Tuesday, October 19th

      Crashing the Airwaves: Radio Producers Go Off Script on Politics, Life, & the Biz

      with Gina Hotta, Pratap Chatterjee, and Rainjita Geesler
      Moderated by Robynn Takayama

      Gina Hotta and Rainjita Geesler, producers of KPFA's APEX Express program, and Pratap Chatterjee, investigative journalist and editor of CorpWatch, discuss their careers on the airwaves and the power of radio to shape the public debate and the political landscape. After their presentations, audio producer and arts administrator Robynn (nonogirl) Takayama will moderate a Q & A with the artists. Join Kearny Street Workshop for this intergenerational artist salon with three radio producers whose work is making a real impact.

      Date: Tuesday, October 19th

      Time: 7 -9PM

      Location: New Langton Arts, 1246 Folsom (@ 9th street), SF

      Cost: $5

      More information: Contact info (at) kearnystreet.org. Artist bios available at kearnystreet.org

      ****
      Samantha Chanse
      Program Manager
      KEARNY STREET WORKSHOP (KSW) | info (at) kearnystreet.org | ph 415.503.0520 | fax 415.503.0547
      934 Brannan St. | SF, CA 94103 | kearnystreet.org