CALL OUT TO ARTISTS!

  • Manilatown Heritage Foundation
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2008
      Manilatown Heritage Foundation is now seeking artwork for exhibition at Manilatown Center.

      The Manilatown Center’s quarterly exhibitions are themed presentations, with accompanying auxiliary programming. The theme for 2008 is Globalization: Response and Responsibility. There are four exhibitions that deal with topics related to that theme and their effect on the Filipino community both locally and globally. Our next exhibition is on Western Ideas/Colonial Mentality (May 10-July 19). You do not have to be Filipino to submit a proposal, but the work must address the Filipino experience.

      We also invite proposals for auxiliary events, such as readings, film showings, panel discussions, etc. to present along with the exhibitions.

      Manilatown Heritage Foundation is a non-profit community-based organization formed in 1994 and incorporated in 1997 to foster the rich cultural traditions of San Francisco’s Filipino and Filipino-American community, document and preserve its histories and contributions, and share these legacies with broad audiences and populations. It emerged out of the struggle to defend the tenants’ rights to their homes and to preserve the Manilatown District. Our participants and audience represent a cross section of the community, from college students to professionals to recent immigrants to old-timers from the original International Hotel. The mission of Manilatown Heritage Foundation is to promote social and economic justice for Filipinos in America by preserving our history, advocating for equal access, and advancing our arts and culture. We envision an inspired and self-sustaining organization that effectively and creatively enhances the Filipino community’s capacity to shape social, political and economic policies.

      Timeline: Please submit your proposal (please see attachment) by April 1, 2008.