Bindlestiff Sept Shows & Call for Artists

  • Bindlestiff Studio
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2006
      August 31, 2006
      BindleBlasts!
      Bindlestiff In The News!
      Cover Story in SF Chronicle Datebook

      The San Francisco Chronicle ran a cover story on Bindlestiff in the Saturday August 26th edition of the Datebook! Reporter Sam Hurwitt writes:

      "And now it looks as if it won't be long before Bindlestiff finally joins the building's [Plaza Apartments] tenants. The city's budget, passed on July 28, includes $100,000 for the building of the new theater, in addition to $317,000 from the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency and a $60,000 grant from the Mayor's Office of Community Development for a green room for South of Market youth programs After years of rallying the troops, organizing benefits and rallying to save the theater, now the real work begins...They're hoping to be able to open the theater by July 2007, December at the latest."

      The article features photos of artists from past shows including "Alamat" and interviews Bindlestiff staffers Alex Torres and Bryan Pangilinan.

      September Shows
      The Return of Allan Manalo / Kevin Nadal's One Man Show / Echo of Bullets / Hustle Boys / Stories High

      Bindlestiff proudly presents...The Return of Allan Manalo!
      Thursday, September 7th 8:00PM
      Join Allan and his guests in this special One Night Only performance!
      For tickets and more information, please call (415) 255-0440.

      Hustle Boys
      Rap / R&B Music Performance
      Saturday, September 9th 8:00PM
      Please call (415) 255-0440 for more information.

      Echo of Bullets
      Tuesday, September 12th 8:00PM
      Echo Of Bullets was formed out of the desire to bring heightened representation to two traditionally marginalized elements of punk: Asian Americans involved in the genre of metal influenced hardcore and radical leftist politics. Come check out the band and their special guest artists at the 'Stiff. For more info, click
      http://www.myspace.com/echoofbullets or call (415) 255-0440.

      Kevin Nadal in "Single: A One-Man Show About Sex, Love & Karaoke" September 14 - 16, 2007
      Single is a one-man show about a gay pinoy navigating single life in New York City. Through the forms of storytelling (kuwento-kuwento), comedy, spoken word, song, and dance, the artist, Kevin Nadal, takes you through the journey of his never-ending Sex and the City episode. Listen as he tells you about the differences between Hetero World & Homo World, getting married to himself, the crazy boys in New York, and of course everything that his Filipina mom has to say about it. Be prepared for a night of sex, love, karaoke... and everything between.

      Please check out Kevin at http://www.single.kevinnadal.com

      Stories High 2006
      9th Annual Workshops & Performance for Emerging Artists
      A break-up sparks voices from heaven and hell. Mother and father freak out when they discover a condom in their daughter's laundry. A BART rides into people's lives. Two couples, one in love and the other questioning love, are stranded in an elevator. A war from the past haunts a married couple, now they must fight for their love. And a mother commits the unthinkable to her baby.

      Featuring Original Plays:
      Vacation Sensation by: Andrea Almario
      Boxing Rule by: Darah Macaraeg
      The Kiss by: Ed Mabasa
      Stuck by: Mike Ricca
      Train Song by: Adrien Salazar
      LoveStoneHeart by: Cheri Mims

      Show Dates: Thursday thru Saturday September 21 - 23 September 28 - 30 October 5 - 7
      Ticket Prices: Sliding scale donation of $10-15
      Showtime: 8pm @ Bindlestiff Studio, 505 Natoma (Between Howard and Mission), San Francisco, 94103

      To Purchase Tickets: Please call for reservations @ (415) 255-0440, or purchase tickets online by clicking http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/6303
      Bakla Show & Love Edition 2007
      Call out for Artists and Submissions!

      CALLING ALL QUEERS! CALLING ALL QUEERS!
      Have a story you'd like to share about being a Gay? Ever wanted to reclaim the stage and show the world what it's like being queer?

      Then come and share with us your stories/scripts/videos/anything you want. Bindlestiff Studio is proud to present the BAKLA SHOW!

      The mission of the Bakla Show is to present the queer pin@y perspective through story-telling, short skits,film, comedy, movement and spoken word. This show represents the struggles, joy, and love of being bakla.

      Submission deadline: September 5th

      For questions, comments, or submissions please email the producers at: baklashow@...

      Keeping it GAY... Bakla Show Producers

      The LOVE is back February 2007!!
      Are you in?

      Production for the LOVE EDITION 2007 has officially begun. Scheduled to return to the Bindlestiff stage for a 3 week run next February!  We are looking for writers and directors who want to donate scripts, skills, and talent to next year's show!

      Writers
      As you know last year we combined new and old scripts from the Bindlestiff talent pool and tied them all together with a romance radio show. This year we are planning to take it up a notch! We are inviting writers from Bindlestiff's past and present to write all new material and tie all the scripts together around an interactive TV Talk show- Springer/Oprah-style!

      In order for us to start shaping the show we'd like to set some submission dates and clarify some script guidelines for you-

      Guidelines
      Theme- Love, Heartache, and all the Craziness in between Length- It can be as short as 5 minutes but no longer than 20 minutes
      Characters- No more than 10 if possible
      Genre- Comedy to Drama, Monologues to Movement, heck even film! As long as it fits  our theme.

      Sides and Synopsis- September 3, 2006
      First Draft- September 18th
      Final Draft- October 2nd

      *Everyone is welcome to submit their work. We will do all we can to include as many scripts as possible in the show, but there is a chance that not all scripts will be selected. Selection will be based on overall quality and length of each script and our ability to integrate it into the show.

      Directors and Assistant  Directors
      If you have any directing experience and want to donate your talents to this year's Love Edition, please let us know. Rehearsals will run through November to January so please take that into consideration. Assistant directors do not need any experience to apply, but all Director applicants should have prior experience.

      All applicants will be considered but note slots are limited. Candidates will be selected based on availability and experience.

      Contacts
      If you are interested in anything mentioned above please contact us to let us know!
      Raf Lim: dj.dmarc0@...
      Chuck Lacson: c_lacson@...

      We are excited about the possibility of working with all of you!

      Bindlestiff is seeking an Part-Time Artistic Director to join our dynamic team!  Please contact Bryan Pangilinan at (415) 255-0440 or via email at bryan@... for a job description or to apply.

      Bindlestiff Studio
      In This Issue
      Bindlestiff In The News!