call for art: terror? DEADLINE 8/22

  • samantha chanse
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      INTERSECTION FOR THE ARTS

      INTERNATIONAL OPEN CALL FOR ART

      / /

      /Are you scared? What are you scared of? How does fear immobilize or
      control you and the world around you? What does fear cost? Where does
      personal fear intersect with larger societal and political messages of
      terror?/ These are some of the questions we are interested in exploring
      through /Terror?/, a networking experiment investigating how people all
      over the world experience fear and how it affects our lives. Utilizing
      the internet as a starting place, this project is about searching for
      new and true definitions for a word that has become all too pervasive.
      Where are we now – five years from September 11, 2001? How much do we
      really know about what people around the world are experiencing? How do
      we actively and hopefully break through media distortions, manufactured
      information, and a seemingly constant war agenda? Selected entries will
      be exhibited at Intersection for the Arts in San Francisco, California,
      U.S. for two months beginning on the 5-year Anniversary of 9/11:
      September 11 - November 11, 2006.

      Please include a self addressed stamped envelope with proper postage for
      the return of your work. You will be notified by email of your
      involvement in the exhibition, so please be sure to provide a valid
      e-mail address with your materials. Intersection is not responsible for
      returning works submitted without a self addressed stamped envelope.
      Following the exhibition, per each artist’s permission, selected works
      may be passed along to other non-governmental international
      organizations and entities in order to continue to develop and deepen
      networks. The artist agrees to provide for the return of work, including
      adequate provisions for shipping costs and insurance. Local artists in
      Northern California can arrange to drop off for consideration and pick
      up at the close of the exhibition work directly at Intersection. There
      is no entry fee for submitting work for consideration. It is our hope
      that this experiment can live and grow beyond the walls of Intersection
      for the Arts. If you have ideas about how to continue this exploration
      in your own gallery or space or in a completely different way, please
      contact us at terror@....

      MEDIA & DIMENSIONS

      Works submitted should be 2-D works (painting, illustration, design,
      collage, photography, printmaking, Xerox, textile) no larger than 11
      inches high by 8.5 inches wide (or for international entries, standard
      A4 paper, 297mm high by 210mm wide). Digital submissions will only be
      accepted in PDF format, and must be formatted to print no larger than 11
      inches high by 8.5 inches wide (or for international entries, standard
      A4 size, 297mm high by 210mm wide). We will accept up to 5 works per
      artist for consideration.

      ENTRY DEADLINE

      Submissions must be received at Intersection for the Arts by Tuesday
      August 22, 2006.

      EXHIBITION DATES

      Selected entries will be exhibited at Intersection for the Arts in San
      Francisco, California, United States from September 11 through November
      11, 2006.

      INSURANCE

      Every reasonable care will be taken to ensure the proper handling of
      submitted work. However, work submitted for this International Open Call
      will not be insured by our general exhibition insurance rider.

      ABOUT INTERSECTION FOR THE ARTS

      Intersection for the Arts is a 41 year old multi-disciplinary non-profit
      arts organization based in San Francisco that has a long history of
      supporting work that examines broader social and political issues. The
      Gallery at Intersection develops and presents brand new installations
      and exhibitions that provide a resource of visual ideas and a platform
      for communications; art that transgresses boundaries of culture and
      discipline; art that embodies a distinct socio-aesthetic vision,
      critically examining urgent concerns of the larger world; artists who
      define, interpret, and help to transform society through their work.

      Please send submissions and entry form to:
      Terror? Intersection for the Arts

      446 Valencia Street

      San Francisco CA 94103 United States

      Or email directly to terror@...

      INTERSECTION FOR THE ARTS

      TERROR? ENTRY FORM

      NAME________________________________________________________________________

      ADDRESS ____________________________________________________________________

      COUNTRY____________________________________________________________________

      PHONE_______________________________________________________________________

      EMAIL_______________________________________________________________________

      How did you hear about this exhibition?

      TITLE / MEDIUM / YEAR / ANY SPECIAL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

      (up to 5 submissions maximum per artist)

      I have read and understood the terms of the exhibition as described
      above in the description of the exhibition.

      Please send submissions and this entry form to: