[Fwd: Fw: anthology project FYI]

  • Robynn Takayama
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2006
      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject: Fw: anthology project FYI
      Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:59:36 -0800
      From: Robynn Takayama <Robynn.Takayama@...>
      To: sam@...

      CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

      Homelands: Women's Journeys Toward Meanings of Home (tentative title)
      Edited by Patricia Justine Tumang and Jenesha de Rivera

      To be published by Seal Press, Winter 2007

      For as long as people have left their homes and returned, there have been
      stories written about journeying to the homeland. Yet, what does this
      journey look like when a homeland no longer exists? When its borders are
      policed by government-enforced laws and restrictions? When the memory of a
      physical place is too far removed, or possibly forgotten?

      Throughout history, the phrase "homeland" has conjured up evocative
      metaphors and literal definitions of home. For those who have immigrated to
      new lands or who have been exiled to foreign countries, it often stirs up
      feelings of nostalgia, sentimentality, and longing. For some, "homeland"
      can also evoke feelings of displacement and utter loss. Displacement caused
      by war, natural disasters, occupation, genocide, militarism, political
      struggles, and colonization affects our relationship to our homelands, and
      oftentimes impacts whether we are able to physically return "home."
      Homeland invokes contradictory feelings and ideas: rootedness and
      departure, stability and insecurity, reality and imagination. Whether
      national or international, domestic or foreign, "at home" or "abroad," the
      idea of homeland has been branded on our psyches, especially with the
      establishment of the United States Department of Homeland Security after
      9/11. In the United States and the rest of the world, the shifting borders
      of "homeland" have become blurred, and new meanings of home are continually
      being traversed upon, reconstructed, and re-imagined.

      This anthology will explore women's journeys to their
      "homeland(s)"—specific geographic locations, an imagined community, part of
      one's identity/ body, or a memory. The editors are looking for personal
      essays written in first-person that investigate the complexities of how
      women experience, remember, or imagine journeys to their homelands. The
      essays will be told from the perspective of a journey. Essays from emerging
      as well as established writers will be accepted. We are not looking for
      submissions on travel adventures abroad. Rather, we are looking for unique,
      well-crafted personal essays from women of all races, classes, ethnicities,
      abilities, sexualities, religions, and nationalities, who have been
      transformed by their journeys—physical, spiritual, political, or
      imagined—to their homeland(s). We define woman as a person who has been,
      is, or will be a "woman." We are interested in essays that challenge
      current and conventional notions of homeland. We welcome and consider new
      ideas other than the topics suggested below.

      Possible topics include:
      The estranged homeland: the experience of living in exile
      The grass is greener on the other side: stories of immigration
      Back to my roots: stories by American-born women traveling back to
      the land of their ancestors
      Pilgrimages: spiritual journeys to the homeland
      In search of safety: stories of refugee journeys
      The border crossed us: women's lives in and across borderlands
      Not another Starbucks: homelands affected by globalization
      Fragments of home: journeys to homelands affected by war or natural
      disasters
      Off the map: journeys to a homeland that no longer exists
      This land is my land: struggles over land and sovereignty (including,
      but not limited to: Guam, Hawai'i, Native Americans, the Caribbean,
      indigenous people, etc.)
      Ancestral amnesia: memories that are far removed from the homeland
      (i.e. African Americans who don't have memories of Africa, and 2nd/3
      rd generation daughters of immigrants)
      Fallen walls: journeys to homelands that were once divided by walls
      (i.e. Germany, China) and how the destruction of these walls changed
      the notion of homeland and community
      Divided lands: journeys to homelands that are currently divided
      territories (i.e. North and South Korea)
      Making a living in a foreign land: stories of women migrating to
      other countries for work
      Coming home, coming out: queer women's experiences in their homelands
      Stepping outside the gender box: transgender and gender variant
      women's journeys

      Editors: Patricia Justine Tumang and Jenesha de Rivera are Filipina
      American lesbian writers, activists, and performers who live in Oakland,
      CA. Their essays are in the Seal Press anthology Waking Up American:
      Growing Up Biculturally and Patricia's work has appeared in Colonize This!
      Young Women of Color on Today's Feminism, and Hyphen Magazine, a magazine
      dedicated to Asian American issues and pop culture.

      Publisher: Seal Press, an imprint of Avalon Publishing Group, publishes
      groundbreaking books by and for women in a variety of topics. For more
      information, please visit www.sealpress.com.

      Deadline: April 1, 2006

      Length: 3,000–6,000 words

      Format: Essays must be typed, double-spaced, and paginated. Please include
      your address, phone number, email address, and a short bio on the last
      page. No simultaneous submissions. Previously published essays will be
      considered. Essays will not be returned.

      Submitting: Electronic submissions are preferred. Send essay
      electronically as a Word or Rich Text Format file (with .doc or .rtf
      extension) to Jenesha de Rivera and Patricia Tumang at
      homelandanthology@.... Put "Homeland Anthology" in the subject line.
      If email is not possible, mail the essay to Jenesha de Rivera and Patricia
      Tumang at: Seal Press, c/o Brooke Warner, 1400 65th Street, Suite 250,
      Emeryville, CA 94608. Please direct any inquiries to
      homelandanthology@....

      Payment: $50-$100 plus two books

      Reply: Please allow until September 1 for a response. If you haven't
      received a response by then, please assume your essay has not been
      selected. It is not possible to reply to every submission personally.

      Patricia Tumang & Jenesha de Rivera
      Editors