KSW workshops

  • samantha chanse
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2005
      From: KSW Arts [mailto:info@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 11:40 AM
      To: sam@...
      Subject: KSW's remaining fall 2005. and some january 2006.

      K S W  W O R K S H O P S

      space180 | 180 capp street | san francisco, ca 94110
      ph 415.503.0520 | fax 415.503.0547

      November 12 - 13

      Travel Writing with Linda Watanabe McFerrin

      weekend writing intensive

      Saturday and Sunday, 10am - 4pm
      180 Capp Street (@17th street ), San Francisco
      Seminar size: 14 maximum.

      Seminar cost: $120 for KSW members, $140 for non-members. Payment plans and a limited number of partial scholarships available.

      Space is limited; registration deadline November 1st.

      Register by check or credit card, contact program director Samantha Chanse at 415.503.0520 or sam@... for more information. Registration info below.

      > skip to next event or read more details about this event below.

      Seminar Description:
      Have you been somewhere new and exciting? Enjoy your favorite journeys twice-no, three, maybe four times. Take them. Write about them. Share them. And yes, you can even get paid for them. The tale of your trip is worth telling, whether it's travel to a new land, discovery or rediscovery of an old land, or a pilgrimage back to a homeland. Editors want your stories. Readers will enjoy them. You just need to know a few things about how to get it all down on the page and out into the world.

      Writing about your latest or greatest trip is actually one of the easiest ways to break in as a writer. Please join me in a two-day seminar that will focus on capturing your travels in print and online. You'll learn how the experts turn life on the road into essays, short stories and novels. From taking and tracking the trip to creating the written travel tale to sharing it with editors
      and readers, this two-day seminar will cover ground that will take you from your experience to the printed page and into the hands of appreciative readers.

      Student work will be presented at a KSW-sponsored event open to the public.

      Space is limited. To register, please contact program director Samantha Chanse at 415.503.0520 or email at sam@....

      > skip to next event or read more details about this event below.

      About the Instructor:
      Poet, travel writer, novelist and writing coach Linda Watanabe McFerrin, M.A., has been traveling since she was two and writing about it since she was six. She is a contributor to numerous journals, newspapers, magazines, anthologies
      and online publications including "The New York Times," the "Washington Post," the "San Francisco Chronicle Magazine," "Modern Bride," Travelers' Tales anthologies and Salon.com. Linda is the author of two poetry collections and the editor of the 4th edition of "Best Places Northern California," "Wild Writing Women: Stories of World Travel" and "Hot Flashes: Sexy Little Stories & Poems."

      A winner of the Katherine Anne Porter Prize for Fiction, her work has also appeared in Wild Places and American Fiction. Her novel, "Namako: Sea Cucumber" was published by Coffee House Press and named Best Book for the Teen-Age by the New York Public Library. Her collection of award-winning short stories, "The Hand of Buddha," was published in 2000.

      A popular teacher and lecturer, Linda has served as a judge for the San Francisco Literary Awards, the Josephine Miles Award for Literary Excellence and the Kiriyama Prize.

      For more information about Linda Watanabe McFerrin, please visit her website at www.lwmcferrin.com

      Above photo courtesy of the artist.

      > skip to next event or read more details about this event below.

      Praise for Travel Writing with Linda Watanabe McFerrin

      I'm pretty shocked and really jazzed. I just got a message from Salon asking if I wanted my e-mail address linked to my article ("Coconuts") that's going to appear on Friday. I am speechless and actually do really, completely, and gushingly owe it all to you.
      - Katheryn Abajian, author of the newly released "First Sight of the Desert: Discovering the Art of Ella Peacock"

      You are a great teacher. Thanks for inspiring my inner voice.
      - Marge Poore, author of "1001 Mexican Recipes"

      Forrest Gump said, "Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get." Linda's writing classes aren't like a box of chocolates. You know exactly what you're gonna get: copious, unambiguous and invaluable advice on the craft and business of writing.
      - Bob Cooper

      Thank you for teaching such an inspiring workshop.
      - Barabara Euser, Director, Writers Center of Marin

      Registration information:

      Register by paying full amount in advance (by check or credit card), or contact program director Samantha Chanse at 415.503.0520 or email at sam@... for more information about payment plans and partial scholarships (limited availability).

      To register by credit card:

      KSW members click below:

      non-members click below:

      To register by check, please send a check for the full amount to:

      Kearny Street Workshop
      Attention: writing workshop
      180 capp street, 3rd floor
      San Francisco, CA 94110

      >RETURN TO TOP

      November 14 & 16

      Grantwriting Basics with Nancy Hom
      a 2-part class on grantwriting for individuals and small nonprofit organizations (under $250,000) in the arts. Taught by Nancy Hom

      Monday, November 14 (Part I) and Wednesday, November 16 (Part II); 7 -9.30pm each day
      180 Capp Street (@17th street ), San Francisco
      Seminar size: 15 maximum.

      Seminar cost: $70 for KSW members, $85 for non-members. Payment plans and a limited number of partial scholarships available.

      Space is limited; registration deadline November 5th.

      Register by check or credit card, contact program director Samantha Chanse at 415.503.0520 or sam@... for more information. Registration info below.

      > skip to next event or read more details about this event below.

      Description
      Some struggling organizations provide a much needed service to the community, but their organizational and grantwriting skills may be lacking. Fundraising has to go hand in hand with organizational development. My work right now, which is providing arts management consultation to small organizations, hopes to level the playing field.

      Geared toward individuals and organizations in the arts that are beginning to think about writing grants.

      Part I: Overview and Preparation

      Introductory presentation, handouts

      Topics covered include:

      • An overview of fundraising
      • What funders look for in a grant
      • Assessing your readiness for a grant: organizational development
      • Researching grants
      • How to position yourself or your organization for a grant

      Part II: Proposal Writing

      Components of a proposal, handouts

      Topics covered include:

      • Preparation
      • Proposal writing step by step, tips for writing a good narrative
      • Preparing support materials
      • Budgets
      • What to do after you get the grant: thankyous, reports, compliance

      Handouts provided.

      > skip to next event or read more details about this event below.

      About the instructor

      Nancy Hom is a multifaceted artist, writer, organizer, and arts administrator with over 30 years of experience in the non-profit arts field. In her eight and a half years as Executive Director, Nancy was the main grantwriter for Kearny Street Workshop. Since then, she freelances as a grantwriter and arts management consultant for small organizations, such as Manilatown Heritage Foundation, Asian American Women Artists Association, and Euphrat Museum of Art, among others. She has written grants for, and received grants from, the National Endowment for the Arts, California Arts Council, the California Council for the Humanities, Grants for the Arts/Hotel Tax Fund, the San Francisco Arts Commission, the San Francisco Foundation, the Wallace Alexander Gerbode Foundation, the Zellerbach Family Foundation, the Community Technology Foundation, the Asian Pacific Fund, the Walter and Elise Haas Fund, and the Lawrence Choy Lowe Memorial Fund. She received the San Francisco Arts Commission Individual Artist Award as a visual artist. She is a freelance grantwriter and arts management consultant. She serves on the Community Arts Distribution Committee of the Zellerbach Family Foundation.

      Registration information:

      Register by paying full amount in advance (by check or credit card), or contact program director Samantha Chanse at 415.503.0520 or email at sam@... for more information about payment plans and partial scholarships (limited availability).

      To register by credit card:

      KSW members click below:

      non-members click below:

      To register by check, please send a check for the full amount to:

      Kearny Street Workshop
      Attention: writing workshop
      180 capp street, 3rd floor
      San Francisco, CA 94110

      RETURN TO TOP

      Creating & Performing Your Own Work: Writing for Performance
      with Canyon Sam--All Levels or Intermediate**

      January 10 - February 21, Tuesdays, 7 - 9.45PM
      Public performance on March 14th
      180 Capp Street (@17th street), San Francisco

      Class size: minimum of 6, maximum of 9.
      Cost: $195 non-members, $175 for KSW members.

      Registration deadline: December 20th.

      **Depending upon enrollment and interest level, Canyon Sam will teach either her all-level workshop or her intermediate level workshop. Level of workshop will be determined by registration deadline.

      Register by check or credit card, contact program director Samantha Chanse at 415.503.0520 or sam@... for more information. Registration info below.

      Class Description: ALL LEVEL:
      A fun, hands-on introduction to creating and performing your own work --both ensemble and solo. Through exercises and structured improvisation we will explore ways of generating material from personal/political experience and translating them into movement, sound, narrative, and character. We draw on a wide range of methods and philosophies -- from the S.F. Mime Troupe's Commedia del Arte style to body-based improvisation to traditional theater.
      Intended to be a playful but challenging dip into the performance genre for all levels, no experience needed. Student work will be presented at a KSW-sponsored event open to the public.

      Class Description: INTERMEDIATE:
      A class to generate and develop material for performance, primarily solo performance. Open to people who have taken at least one course in theater or performance and are comfortable with being on stage, improvising, movement, and working with a director. Requires an outside commitment of two to four hours every week outside class. Fun, but focused. Student work will be presented at a KSW-sponsored event open to the public.

      About the Instructor:
      Canyon Sam, M.F.A. has performed her original one woman shows all over the U.S. and Canada to critical and popular acclaim. The Village Voice called
      her, "A master storyteller [whose work] is moving, evocative, and universally relevant." She began doing performance art in 1991 after many years as a poet and writer. She has directed for the S. F. Mime Troupe's CSU Summer Arts Program, taught in the Mime Troupe's Youth Program and at California College of the Arts and SFSU. She studied at the Dell'Arte International School of Physical Theater and at A.C.T., and collaborated with theater artists Brian Freeman and Nina Wise.
      www.canyonsam.com

      Registration info at our website.
      RETURN TO TOP

      Thursday, January 19

      Atomik Aztex: Reading and Book Signing with Sesshu Foster

      Join Kearny Street Workshop and City Lights for a reading and book signing with Sesshu Foster, author of Atomik Aztex, a fantastical gonzo Aztlan mythology, where modern Aztecs and immigrant ghosts uncover blood sacrifice in Los Angeles In the alternate universe of Atomik Aztex, the Aztecs rule, having conquered the European invaders long ago. Aztek warriors with totemic powers are busy colonizing Europe, and human sacrifice is basic to economic growth.

      Sesshu Foster will be leading a workshop on the afternoon of Saturday, January 21st. Pre-registration required; contact KSW for more information.

      Full description and author bio below.

      Date: Thursday, January 19th, 2006

      Time: 7 -9PM

      Location: 180 Capp Street, @17th Street (San Francisco)

      Cost: donations welcome

      > skip to next event or read more details about this event below.

      Sesshu Foster has taught composition and literature in East L.A. for 20 years. He's also taught writing at the University of Iowa and the University of California, Santa Cruz. His work has been published in THE OXFORD ANTHOLOGY OF MODERN AMERICAN POETRY (seehttp://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/a_f/foster/foster.htm) and, recently, XCP: STREETNOTES (www.xcp.bfn.org/foster.html). One of his last readings at St. Mark's Poetry Project NYC is Mp3 archived at Salon.com (www.salon.com/audio/2000/10/05/foster/). He is currently collaborating with artist Arturo Romo and other writers on the website, www.ELAguide.org. His most recent books are the novel ATOMIK AZTEX (City Lights, 2005), and AMERICAN LONELINESS: SELECTED POEMS (Beyond Baroque, 2006).

      About Atomik Aztex

      A fantastical gonzo Aztlan mythology, where modern Aztecs and immigrant ghosts uncover blood sacrifice in Los Angeles

      In the alternate universe of Atomik Aztex, the Aztecs rule, having conquered the European invaders long ago. Aztek warriors with totemic powers are busy colonizing Europe, and human sacrifice is basic to economic growth.

      Zenzontli, Keeper of the House of Darkness, is plagued by nightmares of a parallel reality where American consumerism reigns supreme. Ghosts of banished Aztek warriors emerge to haunt contemporary Los Angeles, and Zenzontli's visions of Hell become real as he's trapped in a job in an East L.A. meatpacking plant.

      "If the Aztecs had defeated the conquistadores and had eventually become the mainstream, what would our world be like? Where is Teknotitlan located? In Robo-Los Angeles, Mexico D.F., or in the imagination of Sesshu Foster? If Ancient America had triumphed over savage capitalism, chicanismo would be the (poetical, political, and spiritual) center of it all. Atomik Aztex is a graphic, hilarious and violent chronicle of multiple realities that could emerge out of this proposition. It's an amazing exercise of radical imagination." - Guillermo Gsmez-Peqa

      "Punk sci-fi and kitchen-sink realism create a startling, morally fraught vision in Foster's genre-straddling tour de force. . . . readers will be blown away by Foster's control over the material . . . brilliantly inventive . . . " -Publishers Weekly, Starred Review

      More information at our website.

      RETURN TO TOP