WORDS MATTER

  • seelight@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2000
      Hey everybody!

      Last chance! I'm going to be buying a plane ticket soon, so if anyone from
      the Bay Area is inclined to road trip it down there instead, let me know
      ASAP.

      Claire

      "Words Matter" also marks the publication of a collection of interviews
      with 20 Asian American Writers edited by Prof. King-Kok Cheung and
      published by the University of Hawaii Press. The writers featured above
      are included in the book.

      The WORDS MATTER dialogue (among writers, critics, and public) will
      address the following:

      I. WRITING HOME
      How do homeland, country, and community "place" our writing today
      (Asian America, Asia, America, the world?)

      II. TO BE OR NOT TO BE-BOP
      Is using English using the colonizer's language? How do we spinoff

      language to create new meaning in Asian American writing?

      III. BODY & SOUL
      Gender, sexuality, and spirituality in our work

      IV. CORNERING WRITERS:
      Writers and their critics and teachers

      PROGRAM SATURDAY JUNE 3, 2000 UCLA FACULTY CENTER, CALIFORNIA ROOM

      8:30 Registration, Coffee and Snacks

      9:00 Welcome to UCLA Prof. King-kok Cheung and Russell Leong
      9:30-1l:00 WRITING HOME Rachel Lee, Shumei Shih, scholars
      Jessica Hagedorn, Gary Pak, Paul Stephen Lim, Wakako Yamauchi

      11:00-12:30 TO BE OR NOT TO BE BOP James Kyung-jin Lee, Steven Sumida,
      scholars
      Karen Tei Yamashita, Al Robles, Myung Mi Kim,

      12:30-1:30 LUNCH AND BOOKSIGNING

      1:30-2:30 ASIAN AMERICAN WRITERS ARCHIVE and RECEPTION
      Introduced by: Marjorie Lee and Russell Leong
      and UCLA Special Collections
      Janice Mirikitani
      Al Robles
      Wakako Yamauchi
      Hisaye Yamamoto

      1:30-2:30 BODY & SOUL David Palumbo-Liu, Sauling C. Wong,scholars
      Janice Mirikitani
      David Wong Louie
      Amy Uyematsu
      S.P. Somtow

      2:30-4:00 CORNERING WRITERS Jinqi Ling, Shimei Shih, scholars
      Steven Sumida
      Lisa Lowe
      Ketu-Katrak
      Sauling Cynthia Wong
      David Palumbo-Liu

      4:00--Reception, Readings and Booksignings

      Russell Leong
      Editor, Amerasia Journal
      rleong@...
      fax 310.206.9844