[ksw-next] Re: NO MORE FREE EMAIL?

  • annette koh
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2000
      another e-hoax...thankfully!

      http://www.house.gov/graham/Opinions/opinions2.htm

      "Question:

      Is Congress going to allow the U.S. Post Office to charge a fee on the use
      of e-mail?

      Answer:

      The rumor that Congress will soon vote on a surcharge for the use of e-mail
      has been circulating on the Internet in various forms since early December
      1998.

      There is no legislation pending in Congress that would permit the U.S.
      Postal Service to charge individuals for the long distance use of e-mail.

      According to the press releases from the U.S. Postal Service, "The U.S.
      Postal Service has no authority to surcharge e-mail messages sent over the
      Internet, nor would it support such legislation."

      In recent weeks, my office has received a new version of the letter.

      It claims the Postal Service is trying to push a bill through Congress,
      602P, introduced by Congressman Tony Schnell which will charge 5 cents on
      every e-mail delivered. There is no bill 602P and there is no Congressman
      named Tony Schnell."