FW: Poetry Opportunities

  • barbara jane reyes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29 9:39 AM
      Dear poets and poetry fans --

      A number of opportunities opened up while I was in transition and the

      ones that are still available are listed below. All of these

      opportunities were supplied to me by my friend Nicki Miller at American

      University's Poetry Graduate department (or whatever the official title

      of their department happens to be).

      If you wish to be removed from this emailing list, please REPLY to this

      email and let me know.

      Live a good poem ...

      Kenneth P. Gurney, editor

      tmpoetry.com

      -------------------

      Cleveland State University Poetry Center

      Poetry Center Prizes: First Book Competition and Open Competition

      In each category, $1,000 and publication in the CSU Poetry Series

      Deadline postmarked by 1 Feb 2005

      mss. should contain a minimum of 40 pages of poetry

      mss. should be numbered and a table of contents included

      include 1 cover page with title, your name, address, phone number, and

      email address

      your name should not appear anywhere else on the mss.

      include a second cover page containing only the title clearly indicated

      on the outside of the mailing envelope and on each cover page "First

      Book" or "Open Competition

      DO NOT include cover letter, biographical info., or acknowledgements

      send multiple submission in the same envelope, marked "Multiple

      Submission"

      simultaneous submissions acceptable

      $20 fee per submission

      eligibility:

      First Book if the author has not published a book of 48 or more pages

      with a press run of more than 500.

      Open Competition is open to authors who have previously published.

      translations are NOT eligible

      mss that have been previously published, even self published, are NOT

      eligible.

      mail entries to:

      Cleveland State University

      Poetry Center Prizes

      Department of English

      2121 Euclid Av

      Cleveland OH 44115-2214

      include check or money order for fees

      include SASPostcard for notification

      manuscripts are not returned

      email poetrycenter@... with questions or for more information

      -----------------

      Valparaiso Poetry Review

      call for poems, poetry book reviews, poet interviews, and essays on

      poetics

      complete guidelines are at http://www.valpo.edu/english/vpr

      ----------------

      The Iowa Award: A contest for the Iowa Review

      call for poems, fiction and nonfiction.

      complete guidelines are at

      http://www.uiowa.edu/~iareview/mainpages/iowaaward.html

      submission post marked between 3 Jan and 31 Jan 2005

      ---------------

      The Kathryn A. Morton Prize in Poetry

      $2,000 and publication of a full-length volume of poetry

      Judge: Tony Hoagland

      The Mary McCarthy Prize in Short Fiction

      $2,000 and publication

      all finalists are considered for publication

      submissions post marked between 1 Jan and 15 Feb 2005

      complete guidelines are: http://www.sarabandebooks.org

      ----------------

      for Wisconsin Residents Only: Council for Wisconsin Writers Annual

      Awards

      deadline 31 Jan 2005

      complete guidelines are: http://www.wisconsinwriters.org

      ---------------

      Devil's Tower 2005 Writing Residencies

      Two 1-week residencies will be available at the monument in Sept. and

      Oct.

      Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.

      Submit one copy of work, typed double-space (single space for poetry)

      on 16-20 pound 8.5" x 11" WHITE paper (no carbons, but photo copies are

      ok).

      2500 words or 10 pages (excess pages are discarded)

      PAPER CLIP PAGES TOGETHER

      No covers or binders or staples.

      Deadline postmark 1 April 2005

      for more information, email christine_czazasty@...

      ----------------

      Elizabeth Curry Poetry Contest

      $500 / $300 / #100 prize awards

      Submit up to three unpublished poems. Name, address, title(s) on

      separate cover letter and the $5.00 reading fee (check payable to

      Ginger Hill) which includes a two year subscription. All winners /

      finalists will be published in Ginger Hill. All poems considered for

      publication.

      Postmark deadline: 1 Feb 2005

      Elizabeth Curry Prize in Poetry

      Ginger Hill

      Dept. of English, SWC

      Slippery Rock University

      Slippery Rock, PA 16057

      --------------------------

      Summer Literary Seminars Russia 2005 Fiction and Poetry Contests

      Postmark deadline: 28 Feb 2005

      complete guidelines are: http://www.sumlitsem.org

      --------------------------

      a new poetry web'zine is at http://MoontownCafe.com

      -------------------------

      Dear Kenneth,

      just wanted to let you know about the new poetry magazine I am

      starting in England called BLUE FREDERICK.It's going to be tri-annual

      in 2005 and then quarterly in '06 if I get enough interest.First issue

      features Lyn Lifshin,t.k. splake,a.d. winans,Gerald Nicosia,Joe

      Speer,Greg Keeler and Delphine Lecompte,

      looking for submissions for future issues either in the body of an

      e-mail or to my home address at 2 Mears Ashby Road Wilby Wellingborough

      Northants NN8 2UQ England.; �2 for a single issue, �5 for a three-issue

      subscription, cheques payable to Bruce Hodder.Prose also accepted.4-6

      submissions at a time.

      Feel free to pass my address on to anybody who you think might want to

      send work.

      Bruce. (Bkerouac@...)

      http://barbarajanereyes.com
      http://bjanepr.blog-city.com