Fw: [cjwp] Call all ARTISTS interested in presenting to Youth

  • Ching-In Chen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2004
      Subject: [cjwp] Call all ARTISTS interested in presenting to Youth

      ENI IS MAKING A CALL-OUT TO ALL YOU FANTABULOUS ARTISTS OUT THERE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN PRESENTING TO HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS DURING THE WEEK OF APRIL 19-23!!!
      Here's the Lowdown:
      As y'all may or may not know, Education Not Incarceration Coalition is hosting a teach-in/speakout event on Saturday, May 1st, 10AM-3PM; Oakland Technical High
      School, 4351 Broadway (near the Macarthur BART),
      Oakland, CA

      Workshops will be given in the morning around the links between cuts to education
      and rising prison populations followed by an afternoon session where community voices will speak out to invited elected officials about their experiences with these issues as well as present our demands.

      SOOOO........In order to maximize youth participation in this event as much as we can, ENI will be conducting workshops in high school classrooms in April. One of these workshops will be for students to create an art project or the class' choice that may be presented at the May 1st event. This will be a workshop for students to freely express themselves around the necessity of diverting funds from prisons to schools. We are looking for artists who can conduct a 50-60min workshop in visual arts, spoken word/hip-hop, or guerilla theatre. Anyone who can present multiple times or even once during the week of April 19-23 during the school day would be greatly appreciated!! There will be a training for interested artists in mid-April (TBA).

      Please contact Chau at 510.548.2211,
      909.227.1450 or nbchau@... or Atley at atley80@... and 408-835-3050 if you would like to present, have questions, or want more info.
      THANKS AND MUCH LOVE!