New KSW Poetry Workshop

  • ksw
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2003
      Kearny Street Workshop is offering a new poetry workshop:

      WAITING FOR YOUR WORDS

      a 6-week poetry workshop with maiana minahal

      Wednesdays, 6 - 9PM
      September 17 - October 22

      Final reading on October 29

      Class size: minimum of 8, maximum of 12. Location TBA.

      Cost: $135 non-members, $115 for KSW members. To register, please send a
      check for the full amount to: Kearny Street Workshop, 934 Brannan Street,
      San Francisco, CA 94103. Please include your name, contact information
      (phone number and email address if possible), and which class you are
      registering for. For questions, please contact program manager Samantha
      Chanse at 415.503.0520 or info@....

      Workshop Description:

      In this workshop, we will read and discuss a wide variety of poetry, with an
      emphasis on the work of contemporary poets of color. We¹ll talk about the
      importance of language, focus on the poet's purpose, look at craft and
      poetic devices, discuss rhythm and music ... and we will do homework!
      During the course of the sessions, you will write poems and receive/give
      feedback on each other¹s work.

      Hopefully this workshop will increase your enjoyment of poetry!

      This workshop will be challenging, but accessible and engaging. I will
      expect a lot out of you, and you will get a lot out of it. I hope these
      sessions are fun and inspiring, and I expect that you¹ll learn more about
      poetry and poetic devices, and write at least one poem.

      About the Instructor:
      Maiana Minahal has been writing, performing and teaching throughout the Bay
      Area since 1994. She taught poetry workshops at UC Berkeley with June
      Jordan¹s poetry collective, Poetry for the People, and at San Francisco
      community organizations with the WritersCorps program. Some of the workshops
      she has taught include Dublin Women¹s Prison, Glide Memorial Church, Center
      for Young Women¹s Development, Career Resources Development Center, API
      Wellness Center¹s AQUA program, Hospitality House Youth Shelter, Berkeley
      High School, Oakland Asian Cultural Center, Asian Health Services, and We
      Interrupt This Message. Maiana just completed a poetry workshop in Oakland
      and at San Francisco's Bindlestiff Studio. An active performer and poet,
      her first book of poetry is forthcoming this year from Monkey Press.

      for more information on maiana, please visit:
      http://maianaminahal.tripod.com

      for more information on Kearny Street Workshop, please visit
      www.kearnystreet.org or contact us at 415.503.0520 or info@...

      ****
      KEARNY STREET WORKSHOP (KSW) - info@...; ph/fax 415.503.0520
      934 Brannan St.; SF, CA 94103 - http://www.kearnystreet.org