RE: [ksurfschool] Digest Number 195

  • Rodrigo Herrera Vegas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2001
      Hi, I'm Rodrigo from Buenos Aires, Argentina.

      I'm a begginer who fooled around last season with an F-One ATK and had a
      very hard time. I have the standard F-ONE 2.30m board also. I've been able
      to come and go a couple of times but always VERY downwind of my starting
      point.

      I'm planning to buy a Naish AR5 since I hear it is much easier to learn than
      the F-One. I tried one for an hour a couple of days ago and it's true that
      it's much more forgiving.

      The wind at my local sailing spot is very shitty. Just occasional fronts
      that I windsurf on. (I've been windsurfing for over 15 years, and I
      exclusively sail on wave equipment with 4.7m2 or less)

      My idea is to kite surf only when it's not windy enough to windsurf. Should
      I get a 11.5m, 13.5m, or 15.5m Naish AR5 considering I'm a begginer?

      Thanks for your advice.

      Rodrigo

      From: "Jon Sykes" <Jon.Sykes@...>
      2. KiteSki is gone?
      From: Hung Vu <hungvu@...>
      3. RE: Digest Number 191
      From: "Farnsworth, Kenny" <kenny@...>
      4. Re: ARX.......
      From: kiteboard@...

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 10:15:46 -0800
      From: "Jon Sykes" <Jon.Sykes@...>
      Subject: Re: Digest Number 191

      Thanks for all your advice guys.... I never expected such a response....

      it looks as though I should find myself a cheap directional for the spring,
      and order my wake-n-style for the summer months....

      on another note, my new kite has just arrived... I have purchased the 4-line
      PL Arc to learn with.... its the 6m model.... does anyone know which bar
      would be best to use?

      thanks again for all your help

      Jon
      Edinburgh, Scotland

      Tel: 07801 827855
      www.jon-sykes.com

      Message: 2
      Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:36:13 -0500
      From: Hung Vu <hungvu@...>
      Subject: KiteSki is gone?

      I was just trying to see any news at www.kiteskiworld.com and found that
      the site is no longer operating.

      I am not sure whether this is just a temporary issue or permanent.

      It would be a big loss to the kitesurfing community if KiteSki (one of
      the inventor of kitesurfing) was no longer with us.

      Message: 3
      Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 08:48:05 -0700
      From: "Farnsworth, Kenny" <kenny@...>

      Dave,

      You are ahead of me. I am still using the foot straps. The biggest reason
      why is that the water is only a couple feet deep at my favorite lake.

      It took me a few sessions to really get dialed in on the Wake-N-Style, but I
      noticed that I progressed much more rapidly once I started using the
      Wake-N-Style. I have to agree that it was my salvation. Before I started
      using the Wake-N-Style, kitesurfing was more agravating than fun.

      Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:12:28 EST
      From: kiteboard@...
      Subject: Re: ARX.......

      ryansurf1@...
      writes:

      << I imagine it would be hard
      to get just about any kite out of the water in wind under 10 mph,
      especially with so much area lying on the water. Does the leading
      edge collapse and allow the kite to fold onto itself. I heard the
      Wipi 16 leading edge is stronger and doesn't collapse? >>

      I've waterlaunched my 13.5AR5 in under 10 knots, even underinflated, with
      the
      LE collapsing, but once airborne it still doesn't seem to give me much more
      low wind riding range than my 7.5
      I find it strange that you didn't mention the very important variables of
      your weight, & whether your 9.0 is 4-lined. Even more strange that they
      responded without even asking you about either of those factors.

      << ARX are 4% more than AR5. >>

      4% more what? Cost? Weight? Projected area? "Total" area? In any case, 4%
      seems pretty insignificant.