[ksurfschool] Re: Kitesurfing CA

  • Ariel Mas
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2000
      MIKE:
      I am plannig a trip to Kailua, HI for kitersufing.  How is it? are there any rental? schools?
      I thank every advice.
      Ariel
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2000
        Hi Ariel,
        There are two kitesurfing schools in the Kailua area that I know about.
        There is Naish Hawaii (808/262-6068) and Kailua Windsurfing Center. Have fun.
        Nelson
      • mike
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7, 2000
          Hi; Mike-San Diego,
          I envy you. The season in Hawaii is wet, cool & breezy. Of coarse you will have to contend with the 75-80' temperature. Water temp is pleasant as well but if you have a spring suit or shorty you might want to take it along. You will get sun burnt without lotion.
           Naish has a shop in Kailua. They will sell you a kite & I believe Lesson are included or you can just buy a set of lessons.  (All new equipment and friendly people.) But no rentals!
           They, as well as all other shops that have Kites, do not have a "Beach Permit " to rent .The word is that they (Naish) are concerned (with beach walkers, swimmers, & wind surfers) that Kites pose a potential danger to others. The Politics Of permit submission and granting is part of it. But I also see their point. For launching from the Beach you just need space, especially if you are learning.( as Mackenzie & I ).The sheering force of kite lines under tension in the power window could cause damage. Compounding this is the fact that the sport is so new that everyone and I mean everyone that walks by stops and watches. It is great ! (I lived and learned windsurfing on that same beach so long ago & it was the same then) People are curious. They walk up and talk and ask questions. I think it may be the thrill , the newness of the sport and the innate satisfaction of harnessing the wind to do our bidding. Just like the beginnings of windsurfing Who doesn't get a kick from flying a kite. There are web sites for both Naish's & Maui Kite stuff.( I tried to do a hyper link for you but I screwed it up - sorry)
            If you have some flexibility look in to going to Maui. I heard lessons & rentals are to be had there.
          Enjoy the Plate Lunches:
          Mike

          "Jan H. Blaesild" wrote:

          Hey..

          anyone knows anything about the Kitesurf status in CA??

          Jan, denmark

          Planning a party? iParty.com is your complete source for party planning and
          supplies, with everything you need to throw the perfect party!
          http://click.egroups.com/1/1635/5/_/60094/_/952082752/

          -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
          -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ksurfschool&m=1

          eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ksurfschool