[ksurfschool] Re: Handles and bars

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6 6:32 AM
      Dave Raue wrote:
      > Lots of people kitesurf with handles. You can jump, jibe, cruise, etc.
      > Maybe they're a little less suited to extreme aerial stunts, can't say since
      > I'm a long way from doing that stuff. However, very few (if any) of the
      > kitesurfing "elite" use handles. If you look in the magazines all you see
      > is bars - "Gotta use what Robby uses, right? I wanna be just like Robby!!"

      The reason is that those "elite" already had similar skills in windsurfing, wake boarding or water
      skiing (they all used bars in their other sports). It did not take them much time to adapt those
      skills in kitesurfing and of course they will will choose bars over handles. Those I would consider
      "old guards".

      Hopefully the younger generation of kitesurfers would have no such "restriction" and will experiment
      with many different types of control devices. Kane Hartill, one of those younger kitesurfers, uses
      handles and yet he can challenge a number of bar "elite"

      When I first learned snowboarding in the late 80's most of the riders were much younger than I was.
      Now I start kitesurfing (12 years latter!), most of the kitesurfers are either within my generation
      or older. This is a scary though! We need to attract more younger people into kitesurfing.

      Personally, I use a reel bar with my inflatables and handles with my foils. Whatever device you
      choose to use, make sure you have a working safety release system (I am not sure how to build a
      safety release system for a 2 line foil so if you have to fly a foil with a bar, make sure you use a
      3 or 4 line bar).

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2002
        The general "convention" for land or snow kiting is that it's best to
        use handles.

        - I don't seem to loose any performance with a bar setting in medium
        and strong wind while kiteskiing or kitesnowboarding (not counting the
        ability to depower the kite more effectively with a bar).

        The general "convention" for water kiting is to use a bar.

        - I've never been happy with a bar in light wind while kitesurfing
        (too slow to turn the kite).

        So bars or handles should not be a function of the sport, it's more a
        function of the wind. It's best to use a bar in more than 10 knots and
        use handles in less than 10 knots (where more precise control of the
        kite is more important)