Re: [ksurfschool] Is bigger kite slower or faster?

  • kiteboard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2000
      In a message dated 12/21/00 9:06:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      hungvu@... writes:

      << Given the same wind and LTD (L/D), is a bigger kite slower or faster
      than a smaller kite?

      I "think" the bigger kite may be slightly faster! >>

      I think the kite with the most usable lift will be faster. In other words
      the one that makes you not quite overpowered.

      This may not be the larger kite, if a 10% smaller kite has a 20% higher
      coefficient of lift (20% more power for it's size).

      A problem is that generally if you give your kite a high lift coefficient it
      usually increases drag (lowers L/D).

      Another problem is control. You can't use the lift if it's gusty & the
      kite's doesn't have the option of instantaneous power adjustment.