Re: [ksurfschool] Big Kite

  • kiteboard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 21, 2000
      In a message dated 12/21/00 10:27:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      kenny@... writes:

      << I am curious if the new 20.5 from Naish will have a
      higher AR or if it will still be only 5. >>

      Supposedly they have varc, just like Wipika. That's why they called them
      ARX, instead of AR6, or 8, because they're all different.

      Mel
    • holl@powerup.com.au
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 22, 2000
        --- In ksurfschool@egroups.com, "Farnsworth, Kenny" <kenny@r...>
        wrote:
        bigger
        > kite would be so helpful on days when the wind is idling around 8 -
        10 mph
        > and I find myself going slowly downwind. I have tried a foil, but
        the wind
        > fluctuations we have around here are too dramatic. I can't wait to
        try a
        > big inflatable.

        Kenny,

        I own a Naish 9.0 and 15.5. I live on the coast where the wind is
        reasonably constant. But even so, on days when the average wind speed
        is 8-10 knots there are times when the wind drops off to 5 knots or
        less, at which time my kites just fall out of the sky. I think this is
        going to be the limiting factor with larger inflatables ( ? less so
        with foils due to ? their lighter weight or ? less drag). Do you
        experience this or is there a trick to help keep the kite in the air
        when the wind drops ?

        Holger
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 22, 2000
          holl@... wrote:
          > I own a Naish 9.0 and 15.5. I live on the coast where the wind is
          > reasonably constant. But even so, on days when the average wind speed
          > is 8-10 knots there are times when the wind drops off to 5 knots or
          > less, at which time my kites just fall out of the sky. I think this is
          > going to be the limiting factor with larger inflatables ( ? less so
          > with foils due to ? their lighter weight or ? less drag). Do you
          > experience this or is there a trick to help keep the kite in the air
          > when the wind drops ?

          One of the tricks is try to fly the kite constantly during lull, the
          other trick is pull hard (long & quickly) on your front lines when the
          kite fall (such that it lands on its back on the water as oppose to the
          leading edge). This is why the new Wipika 16.4 is very promising with
          its reverse relaunching capability (hope it work well in light wind)
          such that one can relaunch it quickly after it just "fall off" the sky
          (leading edge down).

          The other option is simply to switch to open cell (regular) foils in
          5-10 knots wind.

          Hung.
        • Farnsworth, Kenny
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 22, 2000
            I have a 4.5 AR-5 for sale. I will part with it for $425. However, I can't
            recommend it to you. I have an old 5.0 AR-3.5 and it is a much more stable
            kite. I personally prefer a lower aspect ratio than 5 on a smaller kite.
            The 4.5 is twitchy. The 5.0 AR-3.5 is very stable in comparison.

            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 22, 2000
              Holger,

              Hung gave some excellent tips. I find that I have to keep the kite moving
              constantly during lulls. I also find that you have to be careful flying the
              kite while jibing when the wind is really light. However, sometimes the
              kite is still going to fall out of the sky. You may have to wait a while
              before you are able to relaunch. The great thing about an inflatable kite
              is that you have a lot of time to relaunch the kite. I used to have a 9.3
              Concept Air New Wave. During lulls it would rest on the water and start
              soaking up water like a sponge. If the wind came back within 10 minutes I
              was okay, but if it took longer I was out of luck. After having this happen
              to me several times while my friend was out ripping on his 15.5, I sold my
              foil. I found that I could keep the Concept Air in the sky longer than my
              friend, but after a long lull he would relaunch the kite and go, while I had
              to swim to shore with my water-logged foil.

              It is going to be really interesting flying the new 23.5 Naish AR-X. Naish
              has decided to use higher aspect ratios on larger kites. The 15.5 is 29
              feet long with an aspect ratio of 5. Naish has not announced the AR of
              their new big kites, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new 23.5 is close to
              40 feet long. It may be difficult to relaunch. Of course, that is what I
              thought about the 15.5 before I tried it. The 15.5 is a piece of cake to
              relaunch.

              > kite would be so helpful on days when the wind is idling around 8 -
              10 mph
              > and I find myself going slowly downwind. I have tried a foil, but
              the wind
              > fluctuations we have around here are too dramatic. I can't wait to
              try a
              > big inflatable.

              Kenny,

              I own a Naish 9.0 and 15.5. I live on the coast where the wind is
              reasonably constant. But even so, on days when the average wind speed
              is 8-10 knots there are times when the wind drops off to 5 knots or
              less, at which time my kites just fall out of the sky. I think this is
              going to be the limiting factor with larger inflatables ( ? less so
              with foils due to ? their lighter weight or ? less drag). Do you
              experience this or is there a trick to help keep the kite in the air
              when the wind drops ?

              Holger
            • Dave Raue
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 22, 2000
                Thanks, I'll check in again later in the winter or early spring to see if
                you still have it. I'm not in a hurry at this point, but I may be if I can
                work out a Caribbean trip....

                I'm not at all surprised by your comments on small kite AR's. My small kite
                experiences have all been with foils, ranging from docile and stable to
                suicide devices. I fully agree. I don't think I'd want an AR5 smaller than
                7m.

                -D
                > I have a 4.5 AR-5 for sale. I will part with it for $425. However, I
                can't
                > recommend it to you. I have an old 5.0 AR-3.5 and it is a much more
                stable
                > kite. I personally prefer a lower aspect ratio than 5 on a smaller kite.
                > The 4.5 is twitchy. The 5.0 AR-3.5 is very stable in comparison.
                >
                > Kenny

              • ALEX DESSAU
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 24, 2000
                  --- In ksurfschool@egroups.com, ryansurf1@a... wrote:
                  > In a previous post i asked a few questions and received some
                  > interesting replies. Thank you. The replies triggered a new
                  > question.
                  >
                  > I have a Naish 9.0 and am in the market for a bigger kite. I had
                  > convinced myself that a 15.5 would be a great compliment to the 9.0
                  > and most of you agree. Someone mentioned a Naish 20 or even the
                  > Wipika 16. Can anybody comment on this. We in South Florida have
                  > many days in the 8-12 mph range. I am concerned that i would have
                  > set that big of a kite down and still not have enough wind to be
                  > powered with my 9.0.
                  >
                  > I really need someone to kick me in the ass for the 15.5 purchase.
                  I STRONGLY RECOMEND THE WIPIKA 16MTR IT HAS SMOOTH POWER ITS LARGER
                  THAN THE NAISH 15.5 AND THE BIG FRONT BLADDER DOES NOT FOLD WHEN THE
                  KITE IS ON ITS SIDE WICH MAKES EASIER LAUNCHING.
                  GOOD WINDS
                  ALEX