[ksurfschool] Handles and bars

  • ALAN RICHARD COLE
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2000
      Hello,
      I've been flying a quad line kite (Predator) on standard quad line handles
      for a while now. I have just bough a 4.9m Blade that I would eventually
      like to use kite surfing (at the moment I use them in conjunction with a
      mountain board on the beach). I know that the Blade can be flown as a
      two-line kite from a bar rather than handles. It seems that most people use
      bars rather than handles when kite-surfing, so is it possible to fly any
      quad-line kite (including my Predator) from a bar?? If so, how do you do
      it, and if not, then why not if the Blade can be flown in this fashion.

      Also, does anyone out there kite-surf with handles, or does everyone use
      bars..What are the main arguments for and against bars and handles.

      Al.

      Alan R. Cole
      Postgraduate Research Student
      Institute of Geography and Earth Studies
      University of Wales
      Aberystwyth
      Ceredigion
      SY23 3DB
      (01970) 621523 Daytime only
      (07974) 392605 24 hr.
    • Dave Raue
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2000
        Lots of people kitesurf with handles. You can jump, jibe, cruise, etc.
        Maybe they're a little less suited to extreme aerial stunts, can't say since
        I'm a long way from doing that stuff. However, very few (if any) of the
        kitesurfing "elite" use handles. If you look in the magazines all you see
        is bars - "Gotta use what Robby uses, right? I wanna be just like Robby!!"
        Anyway, have a look in the archives on the kitesurf e-group, there was just
        a lot of debate on this and lots of pros/cons were discussed. It should
        help.

        Most 4-line kites can be flown off a bar. Again, look in the archives,
        there's lots of info.

        dave

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2000
          Dave Raue wrote:
          > Lots of people kitesurf with handles. You can jump, jibe, cruise, etc.
          > Maybe they're a little less suited to extreme aerial stunts, can't say since
          > I'm a long way from doing that stuff. However, very few (if any) of the
          > kitesurfing "elite" use handles. If you look in the magazines all you see
          > is bars - "Gotta use what Robby uses, right? I wanna be just like Robby!!"

          The reason is that those "elite" already had similar skills in windsurfing, wake boarding or water
          skiing (they all used bars in their other sports). It did not take them much time to adapt those
          skills in kitesurfing and of course they will will choose bars over handles. Those I would consider
          "old guards".

          Hopefully the younger generation of kitesurfers would have no such "restriction" and will experiment
          with many different types of control devices. Kane Hartill, one of those younger kitesurfers, uses
          handles and yet he can challenge a number of bar "elite"

          When I first learned snowboarding in the late 80's most of the riders were much younger than I was.
          Now I start kitesurfing (12 years latter!), most of the kitesurfers are either within my generation
          or older. This is a scary though! We need to attract more younger people into kitesurfing.

          Personally, I use a reel bar with my inflatables and handles with my foils. Whatever device you
          choose to use, make sure you have a working safety release system (I am not sure how to build a
          safety release system for a 2 line foil so if you have to fly a foil with a bar, make sure you use a
          3 or 4 line bar).

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2002
            The general "convention" for land or snow kiting is that it's best to
            use handles.

            - I don't seem to loose any performance with a bar setting in medium
            and strong wind while kiteskiing or kitesnowboarding (not counting the
            ability to depower the kite more effectively with a bar).

            The general "convention" for water kiting is to use a bar.

            - I've never been happy with a bar in light wind while kitesurfing
            (too slow to turn the kite).

            So bars or handles should not be a function of the sport, it's more a
            function of the wind. It's best to use a bar in more than 10 knots and
            use handles in less than 10 knots (where more precise control of the
            kite is more important)