[ksurfschool] Re: Kitesurfing CA

  • mike
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2000
      Jan, Mike-San Diego;

      No , I have Just returned from a stay at a friends house on Kileua Beach,Hawaii. I've seen the Kites for the first time and took a lesson out of Robby Naish's shop. Also saw a prototype like 15m 4 line wing. Looked good.  I' m sold. Both my daughter & I took the lesson and it was great. San Diego is a light wind area. So I'm looking around to see if anyone is riding. No luck so Far. If you hear of anyone selling, lessons,ect let me know.

      "Jan H. Blaesild" wrote:

      Hey..

      anyone knows anything about the Kitesurf status in CA??

      Jan, denmark

      Planning a party? iParty.com is your complete source for party planning and
      supplies, with everything you need to throw the perfect party!
      http://click.egroups.com/1/1635/5/_/60094/_/952082752/

      -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
      -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ksurfschool&m=1

    • Ariel Mas
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2000
        MIKE:
        I am plannig a trip to Kailua, HI for kitersufing.  How is it? are there any rental? schools?
        I thank every advice.
        Ariel

        eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ksurfschool
      • Rock1790@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6, 2000
          Hi Ariel,
          There are two kitesurfing schools in the Kailua area that I know about.
          There is Naish Hawaii (808/262-6068) and Kailua Windsurfing Center. Have fun.
          Nelson
        • mike
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2000
            Hi; Mike-San Diego,
            I envy you. The season in Hawaii is wet, cool & breezy. Of coarse you will have to contend with the 75-80' temperature. Water temp is pleasant as well but if you have a spring suit or shorty you might want to take it along. You will get sun burnt without lotion.
             Naish has a shop in Kailua. They will sell you a kite & I believe Lesson are included or you can just buy a set of lessons.  (All new equipment and friendly people.) But no rentals!
             They, as well as all other shops that have Kites, do not have a "Beach Permit " to rent .The word is that they (Naish) are concerned (with beach walkers, swimmers, & wind surfers) that Kites pose a potential danger to others. The Politics Of permit submission and granting is part of it. But I also see their point. For launching from the Beach you just need space, especially if you are learning.( as Mackenzie & I ).The sheering force of kite lines under tension in the power window could cause damage. Compounding this is the fact that the sport is so new that everyone and I mean everyone that walks by stops and watches. It is great ! (I lived and learned windsurfing on that same beach so long ago & it was the same then) People are curious. They walk up and talk and ask questions. I think it may be the thrill , the newness of the sport and the innate satisfaction of harnessing the wind to do our bidding. Just like the beginnings of windsurfing Who doesn't get a kick from flying a kite. There are web sites for both Naish's & Maui Kite stuff.( I tried to do a hyper link for you but I screwed it up - sorry)
              If you have some flexibility look in to going to Maui. I heard lessons & rentals are to be had there.
            Enjoy the Plate Lunches:
            Mike

            "Jan H. Blaesild" wrote:

            Hey..

            anyone knows anything about the Kitesurf status in CA??

            Jan, denmark

            Planning a party? iParty.com is your complete source for party planning and
            supplies, with everything you need to throw the perfect party!
            http://click.egroups.com/1/1635/5/_/60094/_/952082752/

            -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
            -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ksurfschool&m=1

            eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ksurfschool