Re: [ksurfschool] Kite depowering ratio

  • Mark Frasier
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 17, 2000
      Hi Hung & anyone interested,

      I posted something about this on the KSurf list. In short:

      The interesting thing to me was that the C Quad loses efficiency
      (lift-to-drag) when it's "powered up" more than the AR5. In other words, the
      AR5 can sheet in and out quite a ways before the L/D starts to suffer, while
      the C Quad is definately most effecint at its lowest power setting.

      But if you really want to split hairs, the highest lift-to-drag ratio on the
      AR5 was at about 20% bottom line tension. So if you weree trying to go
      absolutely as fast as possible you'd want to use the size that gave you the
      right amount of power at top speed with the kite mostly sheeted out. But the
      difference would be small compared to most kites.

      Mark Frasier