Re: Overpowered or not?

  • Colin Gowland
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 11, 2000
      Hi Mel,

      Where did you get your strap and pieces. I've seen a few mods that
      look pretty pathetic in terms of reliability.

      Kind Regards,
      Colin

      My strap is long enough to make the rear lines slack even
      > when I'm harnessed in (reg. line) when fully overpowered. I think
      that's the
      > only way to be really safe & it also allows the greatest high-end
      wind range.

      > Mel
    • Mel
      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 12, 2001
        k man <fernmanus@...> wrote:

        > Mel,
        >
        > Maybe my problem was that I didn't build the rig
        > properly. I put it together last summer and I had a
        > difficult time getting my 15.5 to flip over when it
        > was lying on the leading edge.

        I don't see how that would relate to MelMods. It IS harder in lighter wind,
        & this tendency is increased by the strap being lengthened for more power in
        those light winds (same with the stock system). If you set up your
        adjustment strap to give extended low wind range, you have to remember to
        readjust it prior to attempting a nose down relaunch. MelMods do prevent
        you from being able to pull the bar back over your head before thrusting it
        forward & swimming a few strokes to slacken the lines (so the kite rolls
        onto its back), but you can still use the technique (which is needed in
        really light winds anyway) of just pulling in a bit on the center
        strap/leader & releasing it.

        > I gave up on it at
        > that time. Maybe I should give it another try. Are
        > you selling a commercial version yet of the Melmod?

        No. I see little need since it's so easy to build yourself, with no tools,
        from readily available supplies.