Random Thoughts

  • Farnsworth, Kenny
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2000
      This past week I spent a week in St. Martin Kitesurfing. Almost everyone I
      saw out on the water was a beginner. I wish to point out a couple things to
      beginning kitesurfers.

      1. I noticed that almost every kite surfer was going downwind fast. Part
      of the problem is that they were underpowered for the conditions. I saw one
      guy that would go downwind a few hundred meters and then walk back up the
      beach with the kite overhead. There are two problems with this scenario.
      First, you don't have enough power to really go upwind if you can walk up
      the beach with the kite overhead. Second, it is downright dangerous to be
      walking backwards with a kite overhead with people on the beach.

      2. I read a post from a guy that would like to travel with only 1 kite.
      That is okay if you do not plan on going out everyday. I flew my whole
      travel quiver while I was in St. Martin (5.0 AR-3.5 converted to 4 lines,
      7.5 AR-5, 9.5 AR-5, and 15.5 AR-5). The locals thought I was crazy to use
      my 15.5 in 15 mph winds. They were using 11.5's and 9.5's, but they weren't
      staying upwind and they were not jumping. You need power to jump and stay
      upwind.

      3. I was the only person using a bi-directional board (oversized
      wakeboard). The thin edge of my 169cm Wake-N-Style allows me to ride more
      powered up and stay upwind better. A further advantage is that you can load
      up better for jumps. I didn't get in any super massive jumps on the trip,
      but I had some fun 15-20 foot high jumps that were satisfying.

      Kenny
    • Dave Raue
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2000
        Hey Kenny,

        So how was the wind and the launch? I'm looking for someplace this winter
        that meets my almost impossible conditions - use FF miles to fly, use
        timeshare to stay cheap. I think St Martin may qualify. Any tips on
        beaches? And how was the kitesurfing actually - nice or filled with
        suicidal kooks? Flat of surf or what? any info much appreciated! thx,

        -D

      • kiteboard@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 2000
          In a message dated 00-12-07 11:16:58 EST, kenny@... writes:

          << it is downright dangerous to be
          walking backwards with a kite overhead with people on the beach. >>

          Absolutely! I'd even say it can be dangerous FRONTWARDS, even with nobody on
          the beach. ALWAYS fly the kite low. It's MUCH better to get dragged than
          lifted.

          Mel
        • Farnsworth, Kenny
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2000
            Dave,

            I went kite surfing 6 days in St. Martin. On the first day, the wind was
            somewhat gusty and blowing around 25 knots. I went out on my 7.5 and had
            some great jumps. The next day it was stronger (around 30 knots) and I used
            my 5.0. I really don't like flying the smaller kites (too twitchy) and wish
            that I had used my 7.5 again with shorter lines. The last 4 days the wind
            was light and perfectly steady. I spent most of the time out on my 15.5.
            So, if you travel to St. Martin, bring a full quiver.

            I went kite surfing at two locations, Orient Beach and Galion Beach. They
            are both located on the windward side. Orient Beach is better suited to
            beginners because you can go a long ways downwind. However, it has more
            people on the beach and in the water, so it is best to launch early in the
            morning or late in the day before the crowds show up. The water is fairly
            choppy with 2 - 3 foot swell (nice for jumping). Galion Bay is a better
            location for kite surfers that can stay upwind. It is far less crowded on
            the beach and the water is more flat, but if you can't stay upwind your trip
            to shore is mighty quick.

            The water is warm and the beaches consist of pure white sand. Both beaches
            are clothing optional and the French have few inhibitions.

            > This past week I spent a week in St. Martin Kitesurfing. Almost everyone
            > saw out on the water was a beginner. I wish to point out a couple things
            > beginning kitesurfers.
            >
            > 1. I noticed that almost every kite surfer was going downwind fast. Part
            > of the problem is that they were underpowered for the conditions. I saw
            one
            > guy that would go downwind a few hundred meters and then walk back up the
            > beach with the kite overhead. There are two problems with this scenario.
            > First, you don't have enough power to really go upwind if you can walk up
            > the beach with the kite overhead. Second, it is downright dangerous to be
            > walking backwards with a kite overhead with people on the beach.
            >
            > 2. I read a post from a guy that would like to travel with only 1 kite.
            > That is okay if you do not plan on going out everyday. I flew my whole
            > travel quiver while I was in St. Martin (5.0 AR-3.5 converted to 4 lines,
            > 7.5 AR-5, 9.5 AR-5, and 15.5 AR-5). The locals thought I was crazy to use
            > my 15.5 in 15 mph winds. They were using 11.5's and 9.5's, but they
            weren't
            > staying upwind and they were not jumping. You need power to jump and stay
            > upwind.
            >
            > 3. I was the only person using a bi-directional board (oversized
            > wakeboard). The thin edge of my 169cm Wake-N-Style allows me to ride more
            > powered up and stay upwind better. A further advantage is that you can
            load
            > up better for jumps. I didn't get in any super massive jumps on the trip,
            > but I had some fun 15-20 foot high jumps that were satisfying.
            >
            > Kenny

          • Dave Raue
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 2000
              WOW, outstanding!!

              Sounds great, getting out every day seems like a dream! Upwind isn't a
              problem. I got a 15.5 and 9.0 (and various smaller foils), and the 15.5
              works for me up to high teens and I've never had enough wind to even use the
              9.0 since I got it! Previous "small" kite was Mossie 5.5. I got the same
              board as you with Tantrums and weigh about 200. If the 9.0 is my smallest
              kite am I gonna get hammered? How much do you weigh?

              -D
              > I went kite surfing 6 days in St. Martin. On the first day, the wind was
              > somewhat gusty and blowing around 25 knots. I went out on my 7.5 and had
              > some great jumps. The next day it was stronger (around 30 knots) and I
              used
              > my 5.0. I really don't like flying the smaller kites (too twitchy) and
              wish
              > that I had used my 7.5 again with shorter lines. The last 4 days the wind
              > was light and perfectly steady. I spent most of the time out on my 15.5.
              > So, if you travel to St. Martin, bring a full quiver.
              >
              > I went kite surfing at two locations, Orient Beach and Galion Beach. They
              > are both located on the windward side. Orient Beach is better suited to
              > beginners because you can go a long ways downwind. However, it has more
              > people on the beach and in the water, so it is best to launch early in the
              > morning or late in the day before the crowds show up. The water is fairly
              > choppy with 2 - 3 foot swell (nice for jumping). Galion Bay is a better
              > location for kite surfers that can stay upwind. It is far less crowded on
              > the beach and the water is more flat, but if you can't stay upwind your
              trip
              > to shore is mighty quick.
              >
              > The water is warm and the beaches consist of pure white sand. Both
              beaches
              > are clothing optional and the French have few inhibitions.
              >
              > Kenny

            • Farnsworth, Kenny
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 11, 2000
                Dave,

                Yes, it was a blast, especially since I haven't been able to kite surf in a
                month due to snow and frozen lakes (I live in Utah). I weigh 175 LBS. If
                you do go to St. Martin, you can rent a kite from CNS (located on Orient
                Beach) if the wind conditions are too strong for your 9.0. I personally
                would have been okay with my 7.5 and 20 Meter lines in 30 knot conditions,
                but I understand that there are days when the wind exceeds 35 knots.

                There was one light day where I had just enough power to stay planing using
                my 15.5. I was wishing for the new 20.5 that day.