Re: [ksurfschool] Tip11: Kitesurfing equipment list

  • martyn gilson
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2000
      It's been a bit quiet recently: Has anyone had a
      close look at the new wetsuits specifically designed
      for kitesurfers? I saw it in the most recent Kitesurf
      magazine and from the small picture and write up they
      look great. They are priced at a reasonable 150GBP
      for a 5/3mm, zip-less, reinforced harness area, kevlar
      shin and knee pads, (just incase you get shot at)and
      fleece interior on the shoulders.

      I think they are called Artic wetsuits but I might be
      wrong.

      Any news? Stockists, arrival date?
      --- Chris Glazier <cglazier@...> wrote: > [the
      information below was found at this web site:]

      http://www.kitesurfing.com/Support/Equipment/equipment.html

      > What equipment do you need for kitesurfing?
      >

      > Here is a list of all the equipment you need for
      > kitesurfing:
      >
      > Kite (big enough to pull you through the water) with
      > flying lines,
      > control bar, safety leash (all included in the Naish
      > Kite package).
      >
      > Board, with footstraps and fin(s)
      >
      > Leash, to keep the board connected to your foot,
      > usually a standard
      > surf leash works best
      >
      > Wet Suite or Swim Suite, depending on the water
      > temperature. You want
      > to make sure you don't get too cold in the water.
      > Windsurfing wet
      > suites work well. If the water temperature allows
      > you to only wear
      > shorts or a swim suite, make sure they fit tight
      > around your waist ;-
      > ).
      >
      > Harness, to hook into the harness lines connected
      > the control bar.
      > Windsurfing waist or seat harnesses that fit well
      > work best.
      >
      > Safety devices like helmet, gloves, shoes and
      > protective eyewear are
      > recommended by the manufacturer and can be helpful
      > in certain
      > conditons.
      >

      > Which Size is Right?
      >
      > As the kites and boards come in different sizes, it
      > might not be so
      > easy for you to decide which gear to get. There are
      > a couple of
      > things to consider:
      >
      > - your body weight
      > - the average wind speed in your area
      > - your skills (beginner, advanced, pro)
      > - existing gear (wakeboard, directional board)

    • Aidan Beanland