Re: [ksurfschool] An "old" New Wave

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000
      kiteboard@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 12/3/00 4:44:08 PM Pacific Standard Time, hungvu@...
      > writes:
      >
      > << My XXXL is an open cell foil. I had it for 2 seasons now. I also had a
      > Kitesurfer XXL closed cell and found that it does not fly as well as the
      > open cell XXXL in very light wind. >>
      >
      > You're sure it's not just the size making the difference?

      That's what I thought until I tried the New Wave 4.9. Both the XXL (7.1
      m2) and the 4.9 New Wave behave very similar when the wind drops to
      around 5 knots range (I could say the smaller New Wave is slightly
      better - the New Wave has more openings than the XXL)

      The only reason I can think off is that a closed cell foil retain the
      internal pressure even though the wind drop. By retaining the internal
      pressure, a closed cell foil also retain its maximum weight (pressure
      air is much heavier than air) even though the wind can no longer sustain
      such weight. When a closed cell foil start to drift back, it probably
      loose its optimum aerodynamic position and will drift down faster unless
      the wind pick up.

      An open cell kite will be just hovering right there on the sky to wait
      for the wind to come back up.

      If I have to rate very light wind kites (5 - 10 knots) following would
      be my rating:
      1- Open cell foil (as I can relaunch it sometimes and chance of
      recovering from a collapse is 80-90% - just put things in proper
      perspectives, when an inflatable start to collapse or stall, there is NO
      WAY to recover)
      2- C-Quad (I am not sure a bout its relauncheability, how to pack it
      and chance of recovering after a collapse or stall - Mark and Jeff may
      be able to tell us more here)
      3- Closed cell foil
      4- Inflatable (the smaller the tubes the better - less pressure air,
      less heavy duty fabric)
      5- Kite Ski

      Hung.
    • Dave Raue
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2000
        > In a message dated 12/3/00 4:44:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        hungvu@...
        > writes:
        >
        > << My XXXL is an open cell foil. I had it for 2 seasons now. I also had
        > Kitesurfer XXL closed cell and found that it does not fly as well as the
        > open cell XXXL in very light wind. >>
        >
        > You're sure it's not just the size making the difference?

        FWIW, I've flown both and and open-vent XL too and don't think it's size.
        The XL will fly in v low wind, it just doesn't generate any power. I think
        the KS quadrifoils inflate too slowly, in fact they seem to have a hard time
        getting fully inflated at all. A limp foil works about as well as....
        well, you get the picture.

        -D