Re: [ksurfschool] An "old" New Wave

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000
      kiteboard@... wrote:
      > << in
      > extreme light wind (5 knots range) a high performance open cell foil (or
      > maybe a C-Quad - I don't know yet) is the only choice >>
      >
      > What leads you to believe an OPEN cell foil would be better than a closed
      > cell? (you actually didn't mention if you'd even tried any open)

      My XXXL is an open cell foil. I had it for 2 seasons now. I also had a
      Kitesurfer XXL closed cell and found that it does not fly as well as the
      open cell XXXL in very light wind.

      Of all the kites I used so far only the XXXL (an open cell foil) can fly
      properly when the wind get within the 5 knots range (the other types of
      kite may fly too but you'll never know when they will just fall off the
      sky like the inflatables, drift-back and fall down like the closed cell
      foil and the Kite Ski).

      (I have heard - from Mark? - that the C-Quad can fly properly in very
      little wind too)

      Hung.
    • kiteboard@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000
        In a message dated 12/3/00 4:44:08 PM Pacific Standard Time, hungvu@...
        writes:

        << My XXXL is an open cell foil. I had it for 2 seasons now. I also had a
        Kitesurfer XXL closed cell and found that it does not fly as well as the
        open cell XXXL in very light wind. >>

        You're sure it's not just the size making the difference?

        << (I have heard - from Mark? - that the C-Quad can fly properly in very
        little wind too) >>

        Jeff Quick has been a big C-Quad fan too, hailing from light wind San Diego.

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000
          kiteboard@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 12/3/00 4:44:08 PM Pacific Standard Time, hungvu@...
          > writes:
          >
          > << My XXXL is an open cell foil. I had it for 2 seasons now. I also had a
          > Kitesurfer XXL closed cell and found that it does not fly as well as the
          > open cell XXXL in very light wind. >>
          >
          > You're sure it's not just the size making the difference?

          That's what I thought until I tried the New Wave 4.9. Both the XXL (7.1
          m2) and the 4.9 New Wave behave very similar when the wind drops to
          around 5 knots range (I could say the smaller New Wave is slightly
          better - the New Wave has more openings than the XXL)

          The only reason I can think off is that a closed cell foil retain the
          internal pressure even though the wind drop. By retaining the internal
          pressure, a closed cell foil also retain its maximum weight (pressure
          air is much heavier than air) even though the wind can no longer sustain
          such weight. When a closed cell foil start to drift back, it probably
          loose its optimum aerodynamic position and will drift down faster unless
          the wind pick up.

          An open cell kite will be just hovering right there on the sky to wait
          for the wind to come back up.

          If I have to rate very light wind kites (5 - 10 knots) following would
          be my rating:
          1- Open cell foil (as I can relaunch it sometimes and chance of
          recovering from a collapse is 80-90% - just put things in proper
          perspectives, when an inflatable start to collapse or stall, there is NO
          WAY to recover)
          2- C-Quad (I am not sure a bout its relauncheability, how to pack it
          and chance of recovering after a collapse or stall - Mark and Jeff may
          be able to tell us more here)
          3- Closed cell foil
          4- Inflatable (the smaller the tubes the better - less pressure air,
          less heavy duty fabric)
          5- Kite Ski

          Hung.
        • Dave Raue
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2000
            > In a message dated 12/3/00 4:44:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            hungvu@...
            > writes:
            >
            > << My XXXL is an open cell foil. I had it for 2 seasons now. I also had
            > Kitesurfer XXL closed cell and found that it does not fly as well as the
            > open cell XXXL in very light wind. >>
            >
            > You're sure it's not just the size making the difference?

            FWIW, I've flown both and and open-vent XL too and don't think it's size.
            The XL will fly in v low wind, it just doesn't generate any power. I think
            the KS quadrifoils inflate too slowly, in fact they seem to have a hard time
            getting fully inflated at all. A limp foil works about as well as....
            well, you get the picture.

            -D