Re: [ksurfschool] An "old" New Wave

  • kiteboard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000
      In a message dated 00-12-02 17:56:59 EST, Hung Vu writes:

      << I know for
      sure that the more control I have over the AOA and the shape of the
      kite, the more efficient I can fly it for a particular condition.... >>

      This makes complete sense. Just like adjustable outhaul & downhaul on a
      sailboard (or sailboat for that matter!).

      << in
      extreme light wind (5 knots range) a high performance open cell foil (or
      maybe a C-Quad - I don't know yet) is the only choice >>

      What leads you to believe an OPEN cell foil would be better than a closed
      cell? (you actually didn't mention if you'd even tried any open)

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000
        kiteboard@... wrote:
        > << in
        > extreme light wind (5 knots range) a high performance open cell foil (or
        > maybe a C-Quad - I don't know yet) is the only choice >>
        >
        > What leads you to believe an OPEN cell foil would be better than a closed
        > cell? (you actually didn't mention if you'd even tried any open)

        My XXXL is an open cell foil. I had it for 2 seasons now. I also had a
        Kitesurfer XXL closed cell and found that it does not fly as well as the
        open cell XXXL in very light wind.

        Of all the kites I used so far only the XXXL (an open cell foil) can fly
        properly when the wind get within the 5 knots range (the other types of
        kite may fly too but you'll never know when they will just fall off the
        sky like the inflatables, drift-back and fall down like the closed cell
        foil and the Kite Ski).

        (I have heard - from Mark? - that the C-Quad can fly properly in very
        little wind too)

        Hung.
      • kiteboard@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000
          In a message dated 12/3/00 4:44:08 PM Pacific Standard Time, hungvu@...
          writes:

          << My XXXL is an open cell foil. I had it for 2 seasons now. I also had a
          Kitesurfer XXL closed cell and found that it does not fly as well as the
          open cell XXXL in very light wind. >>

          You're sure it's not just the size making the difference?

          << (I have heard - from Mark? - that the C-Quad can fly properly in very
          little wind too) >>

          Jeff Quick has been a big C-Quad fan too, hailing from light wind San Diego.

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2000
            kiteboard@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 12/3/00 4:44:08 PM Pacific Standard Time, hungvu@...
            > writes:
            >
            > << My XXXL is an open cell foil. I had it for 2 seasons now. I also had a
            > Kitesurfer XXL closed cell and found that it does not fly as well as the
            > open cell XXXL in very light wind. >>
            >
            > You're sure it's not just the size making the difference?

            That's what I thought until I tried the New Wave 4.9. Both the XXL (7.1
            m2) and the 4.9 New Wave behave very similar when the wind drops to
            around 5 knots range (I could say the smaller New Wave is slightly
            better - the New Wave has more openings than the XXL)

            The only reason I can think off is that a closed cell foil retain the
            internal pressure even though the wind drop. By retaining the internal
            pressure, a closed cell foil also retain its maximum weight (pressure
            air is much heavier than air) even though the wind can no longer sustain
            such weight. When a closed cell foil start to drift back, it probably
            loose its optimum aerodynamic position and will drift down faster unless
            the wind pick up.

            An open cell kite will be just hovering right there on the sky to wait
            for the wind to come back up.

            If I have to rate very light wind kites (5 - 10 knots) following would
            be my rating:
            1- Open cell foil (as I can relaunch it sometimes and chance of
            recovering from a collapse is 80-90% - just put things in proper
            perspectives, when an inflatable start to collapse or stall, there is NO
            WAY to recover)
            2- C-Quad (I am not sure a bout its relauncheability, how to pack it
            and chance of recovering after a collapse or stall - Mark and Jeff may
            be able to tell us more here)
            3- Closed cell foil
            4- Inflatable (the smaller the tubes the better - less pressure air,
            less heavy duty fabric)
            5- Kite Ski

            Hung.
          • Dave Raue
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2000
              > In a message dated 12/3/00 4:44:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
              hungvu@...
              > writes:
              >
              > << My XXXL is an open cell foil. I had it for 2 seasons now. I also had
              > Kitesurfer XXL closed cell and found that it does not fly as well as the
              > open cell XXXL in very light wind. >>
              >
              > You're sure it's not just the size making the difference?

              FWIW, I've flown both and and open-vent XL too and don't think it's size.
              The XL will fly in v low wind, it just doesn't generate any power. I think
              the KS quadrifoils inflate too slowly, in fact they seem to have a hard time
              getting fully inflated at all. A limp foil works about as well as....
              well, you get the picture.

              -D