Re: [ksurfschool] Tip6: Learning curve

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
      Back in 1998, it took me 40 sessions to learn how to jibe and go
      upwind. Average 2 hours per session, would yield around 80 hours.
      However, then, I was all by myself and I had no clue of what to do nor
      expect and the equipment was not as good as it now is. Let's say if we
      cut that in half, around 20 sessions or 40 hours would be needed to go
      upwind and jibe with modern equipment and proper instructions?

      Hung.

    • kiteboard@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2000
        In a message dated 00-12-02 00:51:07 EST, hungvu@... writes:

        << Back in 1998, it took me 40 sessions to learn how to jibe and go
        upwind. Average 2 hours per session, would yield around 80 hours. >>

        In 1999 after LOTS of kite practice on land (30+hours) it took me one session
        body-dragging, one session attempting to waterstart, & 5 sessions riding off
        the wind (probably all under 2 hours each), to learn to go upwind. After 4
        sessions of riding upwind, I could plane out of most of my jibes. Average 2
        hours per session, would yield around 52 hours, including land practice.

        << I was all by myself and I had no clue of what to do nor
        expect and the equipment was not as good as it now is. >>

        My local "role models" included a guy who walked/swam back MILES, for MONTHS,
        & a couple of others who got their kites before me, got minimal land practice
        before hitting the water, & after my first week on the board, they were
        asking me for tips! I had no instruction, & similar gear I'm sure (only one
        year later), but I had the great benefit of the e-group (reading EVERY post
        at first) Hung's own comprehensive "school" website, & Ken Winner's video. I
        windsurfed for 20 years. This may have helped more than I used to admit,
        until after I read a WindSport article by Ken Winner mentioning numerous
        points, each of which would have helped me at least a little (comfort in the
        water, knowing wind & weather, similarities in equipment choices,
        understanding balance, power, & riding stance, etc.)