Tip6: Learning curve

  • cglazier@home.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
      [this is from Ian Young's website in Australia ...on the page where
      they describe their kitesurfing lessons]

      http://members.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/lesson.html

      How difficult is it to learn? It's easier than windsurfing to get
      planing and jibing. It takes a little longer to learn to go upwind
      but then it's much quicker to get into wave riding, jumps and other
      tricks. 75% of the skill is in flying these power kites - if you put
      the kite in the right spot in the sky, you hardly even have to think
      about the board as you get pulled UP and out of the water up onto a
      plane.

      Typical Learning Curve
      All self paced but a typical learning curve for one-on-one tuition is
      something like:

      15 - 30 min theory (depending on kite flying experience)

      1 hour body dragging/ flying LH, RH & downwind figure 8 patterns;
      parking kite directly overhead and keeping it as still as possible
      with one handed control

      30 min - 1 hour flying kite overhead with one hand and using the
      other to get on the board

      1 hour water starting and planing off in one direction

      2 hours getting longer rides without falling off

      2 hours jibes without switching stance

      2 hours switch stance jibes (if you want to)

      5 - 10 hours downwind runs developing better upwind ability

      3 - 4 hours jumps
    • Mark Frasier
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
        I would say this is a "best possible conditions" timechart - with a good
        instructor, the right kite for the wind, a beginner-friendly board and flat
        water conditions.

        Mark Frasier

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
          Back in 1998, it took me 40 sessions to learn how to jibe and go
          upwind. Average 2 hours per session, would yield around 80 hours.
          However, then, I was all by myself and I had no clue of what to do nor
          expect and the equipment was not as good as it now is. Let's say if we
          cut that in half, around 20 sessions or 40 hours would be needed to go
          upwind and jibe with modern equipment and proper instructions?

          Hung.

        • kiteboard@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2000
            In a message dated 00-12-02 00:51:07 EST, hungvu@... writes:

            << Back in 1998, it took me 40 sessions to learn how to jibe and go
            upwind. Average 2 hours per session, would yield around 80 hours. >>

            In 1999 after LOTS of kite practice on land (30+hours) it took me one session
            body-dragging, one session attempting to waterstart, & 5 sessions riding off
            the wind (probably all under 2 hours each), to learn to go upwind. After 4
            sessions of riding upwind, I could plane out of most of my jibes. Average 2
            hours per session, would yield around 52 hours, including land practice.

            << I was all by myself and I had no clue of what to do nor
            expect and the equipment was not as good as it now is. >>

            My local "role models" included a guy who walked/swam back MILES, for MONTHS,
            & a couple of others who got their kites before me, got minimal land practice
            before hitting the water, & after my first week on the board, they were
            asking me for tips! I had no instruction, & similar gear I'm sure (only one
            year later), but I had the great benefit of the e-group (reading EVERY post
            at first) Hung's own comprehensive "school" website, & Ken Winner's video. I
            windsurfed for 20 years. This may have helped more than I used to admit,
            until after I read a WindSport article by Ken Winner mentioning numerous
            points, each of which would have helped me at least a little (comfort in the
            water, knowing wind & weather, similarities in equipment choices,
            understanding balance, power, & riding stance, etc.)