RE: [ksurfschool] Which kite should I buy?

  • Farnsworth, Kenny
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 20, 2000
      Fredrik,

      I started out with the Naish AR3.5 in 2 line mode. After I learned how to
      kitesurf, I switched to 4 lines. I have tried Concept Air New Wave kites,
      Wipika Free Air, and Naish AR5's. I recommend buying the Naish AR3.5 or
      Wipika Free Air in 2 line configuration and switching to 4 lines when you
      feel comfortable. The Naish AR5 and the new Wipika VARC's should be great 4
      line kites once you know how to kitesurf.

      The advantage of 4 lines is the ability to depower the kite in gusty
      conditions very quickly. 4 line kites also have a lot more range. The only
      real downside to 4 lines is that you have to deal with more tangled lines.

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 21, 2000
        Hi,

        Can you confirm the URL for Hung Vu below - I cannot get onto it as it
        stands? Thanks,

        Regards,
        Anton

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 21, 2000
          There is something wrong with the URL, but I am sure it is just temporarily.

        • cglazier@home.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 21, 2000
            Sorry, the correct URL for Hung Vu's kitesurfing school is:

            http://members.attcanada.ca/~hungvu/kitesurfing.htm

            Chris G

            --- In ksurfschool@egroups.com, Anton Potgieter <apotgieter@t...>
            wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > Can you confirm the URL for Hung Vu below - I cannot get onto it as
            it
            > stands? Thanks,
            >
            > Regards,
            > Anton
            ***************************
          • Ole Lie
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 26, 2000
              The first thing you need ti decide is whether you want to sacrifice
              some water performance to be able to use your kite on snow. If you do
              want to use your kite on snow then inflatables (Naish, Wipika) are
              clearly out. They will work but you will definetely ruin the kite in a
              very short time once it gets crashed on hard ice/snow and is dragged
              across an icy, sharp surface. You can of course use a sealed foil
              (such as Waterfoil, New Wave, Moquito and such like. Problem with
              these however is that it is hard to get the air out rapidly. What is a
              key feature for waterstarting when kitesurfing is not something you
              need, or even want, when kiteskiing. On snow it is important to be
              able to kill the power quickly and that means a 4 line, non-sealed
              foil (such as jo-jo ET and RS, Flexifoil blade or Peter Lynn Peel).

              I guess what I'm trying to say is that using your kite on water and
              land may not be the best idea. Although it will be more expensive to
              buy two kites you may save money when seen over time due to all the
              repairs you will have when trying to use your waterkite on land. I
              would suggest:

              1. Jo-jo or Blade for snow (something like a 5m2 or so)

              2. Naish AR3,5 9m2 for water

              The Naish AR3,5 is easy to learn with and can easily have it's range
              extended by setting it up as a 4-liner once you get better.
              A sealed foil is also good but a little more hassle for a beginner
              with all the bridles and stuff.
              I fly a Waterfoil myself on water and like the performance. Main
              reason for buying it was price though. I still would like a Naish AR5
              13.5m2 when summer comes. I also have a Naish AR3,5 5m2 and used to
              have a 7m2 also so I have flown them all.

              See my webpage ohlie.home.online.no/Oztrip/oztrip2000.html for some
              more info on the waterkites.

              Best of luck,

              Ole Lie
              Bergen, Norway