[ksurfschool] Re: tuning up a Naish 7.0 for a heavier riderin lighterwinds

  • JR Johnston
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2000
      Hi Marty,

      I found that if i over-inflate the bladder and then just stick my thumb over the valve i can get it close without releasing to much air. It sometimes takes a few tries, which is very annoying  -especialy if your in a hurry. In the instructions they say to pinch the valve which is nearly impossible. . . Let us all know what you find out .

      Martyn_Gilson-1@... wrote:

      Hi Gary,

      Don't know too much about the tuning of the kite but I have the same kite.  I
      was wondering how you mange to get the inflatable batten pumped up to the
      required pressure?

      The valves on the equivalent Wipika have a one way system that prevents the air
      escaping from batten.  With the Naish there is no valve and during the change
      over from the pump to the valve stopper, 80% of the pressure just shoots out!
      This is very annoying especially when the Naish is supposed to be a 'superior'
      kite to the Wipika, well by superior I mean more expensive!

      Any advice?
      Cheers
      Martyn

      garys@... on 17-Feb-2000 02:34

      Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

      To:   ksurfschool
      cc:    (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)
      Subject:  [ksurfschool] Re: tuning up a Naish 7.0 for a heavier rider in
            lighterwinds

      I will let you know as soon as I find something out...
      Thanks for the note...

      aloha
      Gary
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 17, 2000
        I have tried that technique but it is very difficult. As the manual suggests to
        pinch the valve must be easy when the temperature is 30 degrees C but in cooler
        air this is impossible.

        I have found a way that does make the pressure increase but it involves using
        your mouth. Pump it up, then add the last blow with your mouth. If you close
        the back of your mouth to stop the air escaping, use your tongue and teeth to
        manoeuvre the plug into the valve. It is tricky and sometimes involves getting
        a mouth full of sand/mud/water but the results are better. This is a
        transferable skill which will certainly help 'pull' that girl of your dreams,
        after a good day on the water! :-)

        It's just a bad design from Naish that lets this down. I have written to
        NaishUK (Naishuk@...) to see what their advice is but I will be surprised if
        they get back to me. If you have a Naish kite and you are unhappy with this
        design may be you will want to email them?

        For nearly 100 GBP (160 USD, in the very expensive UK) more than the equivalent
        Wipika it is hard to justify the extra cost and I hope Naish get to hear about
        it so that they can 'continually improve their design'- Don Montague, check this
        out...

        Martyn

        jrstudio@... on 17-Feb-2000 10:32

        Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

        To: ksurfschool

        Martyn_Gilson-1@... wrote:

        > Hi Gary,
        >
        > Don't know too much about the tuning of the kite but I have the same kite. I
        > was wondering how you mange to get the inflatable batten pumped up to the
        > required pressure?
        >
        > The valves on the equivalent Wipika have a one way system that prevents the
        air
        > escaping from batten. With the Naish there is no valve and during the change
        > over from the pump to the valve stopper, 80% of the pressure just shoots out!
        > This is very annoying especially when the Naish is supposed to be a 'superior'
        > kite to the Wipika, well by superior I mean more expensive!
        >
        > Any advice?
        > Cheers
        > Martyn
        >
        > garys@... on 17-Feb-2000 02:34
        >
        > Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com
        >
        > To: ksurfschool
        > cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)
        > Subject: [ksurfschool] Re: tuning up a Naish 7.0 for a heavier rider in
        > lighterwinds
        >
        > I will let you know as soon as I find something out...
        > Thanks for the note...
        >
        > aloha
        > Gary

        Earn extra money at calypso.com by creating your own web store. For a
        limited time, join calypso.com and receive a FREE calypso whistle.
        Also learn how you can win up to $25! Click to
        http://click.egroups.com/1/1591/5/_/60094/_/950787190/

        eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ksurfschool/