Re: [ksurfschool] Water Starting (Help Please)

  • paul menta
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
      Collin,practice on the beach sitting down like you are water starting.with
      the kite in nuetral,turn it down to the side you are going and quickly turn
      it up to stand your self up. It is the turn up that rises you up.this
      timeing is very important and is usally most of the problem when i teach
      people to water start,check out our on line school www.kitesurftheearth.com
      and feel free to ask any other questions.
      buenos suerte!

      Paul

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2000
        These are problems that are the norm.

        If the beach allows, don't bother even trying to go upwind, just go out to sea,
        then back in. Then take a few good breaths for the walk back up the beach.
        Before going upwind one has to practice getting constant power from the kite,
        only then can you start concentrating on pointing the board upwind. It's the
        downwind/upwind angle that comes with practice, just like going upwind on a
        windsurfer, there is a most efficient angle which varies according to power in
        the sail and sailor's technique. There are a lot of similarities with
        windsurfing, especially in light winds. Bear off to get on the plane then angle
        the board upwind.

        Regarding the leash, instead of attaching it to your foot, try to attach it to
        your harness. You may have to make some webbing with a stainless steel ring
        that you can slip on to a secure attachment on your harness. Then convert your
        leash on your board to take a hook (make sure that there is a strong spring in
        the hook, otherwise the leash might tangle around your body and clip back into
        the hook). Just clip it on to the ring- simple. You can buy all this stuff in
        a sailing shop.

        It is a lot easier than messing around with the Velcro ankle strap and makes
        grabbing the leash easier in the water as it is not as far from your hand.

        It works for some people, but most people just put up with the messing around
        until they improve their technique and it becomes easier.
        Martyn

        pmenta@... on 03-Nov-2000 14:29

        Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

        To: ksurfschool
        cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)
        Subject: Re: [ksurfschool] Water Starting (Help Please)