Water Starting (Help Please)

  • Colin Lowe
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
      Hi all,

      As far as kite surfing goes I am a beginner, however I have been a proficient windsurfer for over ten years and therefore understand the water start technique for windsurfing. How much is this different for kitesurfing?

      I am looking for any advice regarding water starting a kite board.

      I have mastered the kite by flying on the beach is various wind conditions over the last couple of months, and been body dragging in the water without my board for the last couple of weeks. Last weekend I tried for the first time with the board in the water and had problems getting on to the board.

      Problems encountered.

      Equipment:

                          Board = Fanatic 7' 00"
                          Kite    = Concept Air New Wave 6.3 in standard two line mode. (With brake line/safety leach)

      (1)    Pointing upwind to much and then the power in the kite pulling me over the top of the board.
      (2)    Pointing to much down wind and then once on the board stalling and dropping off the plane and dropping into the water.
      (3)    Getting tangled in the safety leash. That is strapped to my least dominant leg. Question, is it better to strap the leash to my nappy harness, or will this cause problems.

      Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

      Regards Colin.
      Barcelona Spain.

    • paul menta
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
        Collin,practice on the beach sitting down like you are water starting.with
        the kite in nuetral,turn it down to the side you are going and quickly turn
        it up to stand your self up. It is the turn up that rises you up.this
        timeing is very important and is usally most of the problem when i teach
        people to water start,check out our on line school www.kitesurftheearth.com
        and feel free to ask any other questions.
        buenos suerte!

        Paul

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
          Colin,

          The experience you are having with the water launch is pretty typical.  It took me quite a while to figure out the proper technique.

          A couple things to keep in mind.

          1.  Point your toes so that the board is flat on the water.  If the board is on edge it will be much harder to get up (this is the most common mistake I have seen).
          2.  Point the board slightly downwind and carve the board to a crosswind position only after you are standing up.
          3.  Make sure that you have enough power. If you are standing up and falling off plane, you are most likely underpowered.

          Be patient and keep working at it.  It just takes time and practice.

        • Martyn_Gilson-1@sbphrd.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 6, 2000
            These are problems that are the norm.

            If the beach allows, don't bother even trying to go upwind, just go out to sea,
            then back in. Then take a few good breaths for the walk back up the beach.
            Before going upwind one has to practice getting constant power from the kite,
            only then can you start concentrating on pointing the board upwind. It's the
            downwind/upwind angle that comes with practice, just like going upwind on a
            windsurfer, there is a most efficient angle which varies according to power in
            the sail and sailor's technique. There are a lot of similarities with
            windsurfing, especially in light winds. Bear off to get on the plane then angle
            the board upwind.

            Regarding the leash, instead of attaching it to your foot, try to attach it to
            your harness. You may have to make some webbing with a stainless steel ring
            that you can slip on to a secure attachment on your harness. Then convert your
            leash on your board to take a hook (make sure that there is a strong spring in
            the hook, otherwise the leash might tangle around your body and clip back into
            the hook). Just clip it on to the ring- simple. You can buy all this stuff in
            a sailing shop.

            It is a lot easier than messing around with the Velcro ankle strap and makes
            grabbing the leash easier in the water as it is not as far from your hand.

            It works for some people, but most people just put up with the messing around
            until they improve their technique and it becomes easier.
            Martyn

            pmenta@... on 03-Nov-2000 14:29

            Please respond to ksurfschool@egroups.com

            To: ksurfschool
            cc: (bcc: Martyn Gilson-1/DEV/PHRD/SB_PLC)
            Subject: Re: [ksurfschool] Water Starting (Help Please)