foot strap placement on a directional board

  • cglazier@home.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 28, 2000
      I have a Hawaiian Proline directional board, 6' 8" by 17". It looks
      like a skinny Naish board. It was built with rows of inserts for
      footsraps to allow placement anywhere.

      I am having trouble learning to stay upwind so I thought that I would
      try moving the foostaps back? Can anyone recommend where they should
      go? I am 170 lb and 6' tall. Currently the centre of the back strap
      is 22" from the tail and the centre of the front straps is 41" from
      the tail.
    • Dwight & Jacky
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 28, 2000
        The rear screw, on the rear strap, should be about 16" from the tail. The
        rear screw on the front straps should be about 36" from the tail. My straps
        are 14" and 34" on a 5'9 x 17" board.

        From the Fisher's Fort
        Kure Beach, NC
        Dwight & Jacky

        http://www.angelfire.com/nc/capefearwindsurfing/ (includes kitesurfing)

      • kiteboard@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 28, 2000
          Experiment with bending one leg or the other. I KNOW that if it's working
          better with one leg bent, it will work even better than that if you move the
          straps towards that leg.

          I think further forward lets you go upwind better (more rail in the water?)
          since it seems if I weight my front leg (by bending it) I can point higher.

          I don't have my boards handy to measure, but I suspect the distance from the
          (fins) is more important than distance from the tail. I think my rearmost
          strap screw is a couple of inches in front of the center fin screw.

          Mel
        • cglazier@home.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29, 2000
            Thanks Dwight and Mel for your responses. I had a chance to measure a
            few directional boards since my posting and here is what I have
            learned.

            All boards have the front and back straps about 20" apart (measured
            rear screw to rear screw) and this also matches my windsurfing boards.

            In 6' to 7' boards the rear strap is about 14" (measured tail to rear
            strap screw)... just as you say Dwight. On boards over 7' this value
            increases dramatically.

            I am not so sure about measuring relative to fin placement since some
            boards have several small fins, and unlike windsurfing, we don't ride
            the fins as hard.

            And I assumed moving the straps back would help me go upwind while
            moving them forward would help my light wind balancing... but you
            suggest the opposite Mel. I don't understand that.

            And Mel, I have seen you use the word sled. What is a sled?

            Chris G

          • kiteboard@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 29, 2000
              [ksurfschool] Re: foot strap placement on a directional board
              cglazier@... wrote:

              << All boards have the front and back straps about 20" apart (measured
              rear screw to rear screw) and this also matches my windsurfing boards. >>

              I think you'll find that the 2000 Fanatic's stance is about FOUR INCHES
              wider!!! I had to have more inserts added to ride comfortably.

              << I am not so sure about measuring relative to fin placement since some
              boards have several small fins, and unlike windsurfing, we don't ride
              the fins as hard. >>

              I would have thought that also (in fact I edited out "fins' center of area"
              from my reply post) but the thrusters on both my Fanatic & Naish do NOT move
              the center of lateral resistance forward (yes I removed them to check - &
              never put them back on!). Take a look at the water coming off the downwind
              aft rail. There is a BIG cavitating wake on the DOWNWIND side of the
              downwind thruster. This means it's running at a NEGATIVE angle of attack,
              working against the windward thruster.
              All the thrusters do is reduce spinout when you're pushing so hard that the
              board is going so sideways that the negative angle becomes positive again, or
              railed over so hard that the downwind thruster is out of the water. I just
              use a slightly larger center fin to prevent spinout (8" slotted Orca kite fin
              from gsport.com).

              << And I assumed moving the straps back would help me go upwind while
              moving them forward would help my light wind balancing... but you
              suggest the opposite Mel. I don't understand that. >>

              I think it may depend on wind conditions/boardspeed. Just try it & see: bend
              your front leg & see what happens. If that works better for you, move the
              straps foreward, & vice versa.

              << And Mel, I have seen you use the word sled. What is a sled? >>

              Wipika/Naish/LiquidForce/NeilPryde...

              Mel
            • Dwight & Jacky
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 29, 2000
                Being forward on the board helps in going upwind when not very powered, by
                putting more rail in the water. This increases power in the kite. Being back
                helps in going upwind when very powered because you can bite the tail better
                and pinch hard into the wind to control your kites power. You will need to
                experiment to find what's best for you. Until you get better, just put them
                in a normal position. Some boards will bounce wildly if the straps are too
                far back. I would rather be a little farther back, than too far forward. It
                helps you stay in control. Pinching hard upwind is a great way to reduce
                kite power.

                Dwight

              • kiteboard@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 30, 2000
                  I guess I should have mentioned I ALWAYS ride in the trim loop, so having too
                  much power pulling the nose off the wind is rarely a problem. This may allow
                  the straps to be further foreward. Lots of variables! I still stand by my
                  "try it & see" approach: if it works better FOR YOU with one leg bent, move
                  the straps towards that leg.