Concept Air VSS system?

  • cglazier@home.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2000
      I have a Concept Air 7.3 New Wave kite which comes with a bridle
      adjustment system called VSS. Can anyone tell me what this does or
      how to use it. (There were no instructions with the kite.)

      Thanks
      Chris Glazier
    • Colin Gowland
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2000
        Hi Chris,

        Basically by changing the connection point of the flying line, you change
        how "fast" or "slow" the kite flys. A "slow" setting is more stable and
        gives more brute power. A "fast" setting is less stable but the kite turns
        faster. If you pull the loop on the vss, it will loosen the connection.
        There are 3 knots and you can choose positions within or on the 3-knots.
        When you connect the VSS closer to the AB lines otherwise known as the lines
        that connect mainly to the leading edge and front portion of the kite, the
        kite is faster. (Small AOA) The opposite is true when you move the knot
        closer to the CD lines. You can "straddle" each knot as well with the loop,
        just make sure it's tight. This gives 5 settings. Moving one knot makes a
        pretty big difference so play around with it and see what works best for
        you. There is also a system made by Ian Young availible that let's you
        adjust your VSS from the bar.

        Colin

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 9, 2000
          Chris,

          The Concept Air has a VSS adjustment system that consists of several knots
          that allow you to adjust the angle of attack of the kite. Usually, Concept
          Air sends out their kites with the VSS adjusted "hot" (most power and
          responsiveness). If you find that you have problems with the kite
          overflying the window and luffing, you can move to another knot on the VSS
          (make sure you adjust both sides). I know that it seems like a tiny
          adjustment, but it does make a big difference. You may want to take your CA
          out on a windy day and try the different VSS settings to get a good feel for
          how the adjustments affect the performance of the kite.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 9, 2000
            Thanks Colin and Kenny

            Your explanations are most helpful. I'll try adjusting it.

            I would have replied sooner, but the wind came up and it was time for
            a session... unfortunately the wind didn't last very long :-(

            Chris

            --- In ksurfschool@egroups.com, "Colin Gowland" <colin-gowland@h...>