sleeving lines

  • Hanel, Steven
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2000
      I have been flying kites for quite some time but kite boarding and traction
      kites are very new to me.
      My kite came with 300# main lines and 150# brakes at 30m, here in Iowa the
      winds can be rather mild so I ordered bulk 500# and 200# line to make some
      45m lines.
      I weigh 175# and just wanted the added safety (and I couldn't find 400#
      line).
      Anyway the question is - do you sleeve the lines the same as regular spectra
      kite lines?
    • kiteboard@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 6, 2000
        In a message dated 10/6/00 8:56:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
        hanelsd@... writes:

        << do you sleeve the lines the same as regular spectra
        kite lines? >>

        Yes. You need to sleeve the line to reduce the radius of bend at the
        figure-eight knot which creates the loop in the end. That way you only loose
        about 30% of the line's strength.

        Mel
      • Jon
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 10, 2000
          For those of us who havent sleeved regular spectra kite lines, what
          is
          the sleeving material, is there something special or do I just go
          search out any hollow, thin walled cord?
          jw

          --- In ksurfschool@egroups.com, kiteboard@a... wrote:
          > In a message dated 10/6/00 8:56:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
          > hanelsd@p... writes:
          >
          > << do you sleeve the lines the same as regular spectra
          > kite lines? >>
          >
          > Yes. You need to sleeve the line to reduce the radius of bend at
          the
          > figure-eight knot which creates the loop in the end. That way you
          only loose
          > about 30% of the line's strength.
          >
          > Mel
        • Hanel, Steven
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 11, 2000
            I have found 200# Dacron sleeving material. One has a red tracer and the
            other has a black tracer - helps keep it organized during setup. I have
            just received it. I was told it is a snug fit for 500# line but will work
            and of course easier on smaller line.

            Steve D. Hanel