Re: New file uploaded to ksurfschool (terms)

  • Mark Frasier
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2000
      At 10:29 PM 10/05/2000 -0000, eGroups Notification wrote:

      >Hello,
      >
      >This email message is a notification to let you know that
      >a file has been uploaded to the Files area of your ksurfschool
      >group.
      >
      > File : /Glossary.html
      > Uploaded by : cglazier@...
      > Description : terminology used in kiteboarding
      >
      >You can access the file at the URL
      >
      >http://www.egroups.com/files/ksurfschool/Glossary%2Ehtml

      Hey! Nice job!

      I though of a few more that could be added... feel free to use, modify or
      ignore.

      Mark Frasier

      Bridle lines are sometimes called shroud lines.

      Leading edge and trailing edge are often abbreviated LE & TE.

      A directional board is a board that rides best in one direction, has a
      definate nose end and a definate tail end.

      A splice usually refers to a smooth join of two lines without using a knot.
      The end of one line is interlaced or runs through the core of another.

      Rigid kite: a kite such as a speedwing or delta whose shape is mostly held
      by means of a rigid frame, eliminating the need for a complex bridle.

      Kevlar: A fiber sometimes used for kitelines. Has some characteristics
      which make it somewhat less desirable than Spectra.

      Coefficient of lift, Cl: Basically, a measure of how hard a kite pulls
      relative to its projected size.

      Projected area: The apparent area of a kite while it is being flown, as
      opposed to lying flat on the ground. The amount of area that presents
      itself to the wind (?). The area of the shadow of a kite against a wall if
      a light is shined on it from the flyer's end of the lines.

      Apparent wind, AW: The wind felt by the kite or rider as it passes through
      the air. For instance, if the true wind is blowing North at 10 knots and
      the kite is moving West at 10 knots, the apparent wind on the kite is NW at
      about 14 knots. The apparent wind direction shifts towards the direction of
      travel as speed increases.

      True wind: The wind as felt by something that is not moving relative to the
      ground.

      Twin tip: a board that rides equally well in either direction, like a
      wakeboard. Usually refers to a board that is a cross between a wakeboard
      and a directional (wakeboards are usually just called wakeboards).

      VMG to windward (or leeward, or anything else): The component of speed that
      is directly towards the wind direction (or anything else). For instance, a
      rider going 45 degrees down wind at 14 knots has the same VMG to leeward as
      someone going straight downwind at 10 knots.

      Hybrid kite: a kite like the C-Quad or Trident that has a semi-flexible
      frame that assists the bridle in keeping the shape of the kite, resulting
      in fewer bridle lines than a ram-air kite.

      Buggying: using a power kite to propel a land-based cart that is steered
      with the feet.

      Handles: a pair of bent handles with one power line connected to the top
      and one brake line connected to the bottom of each. A "link line" or
      harness line runs between the two handles to allow a harness to take the
      load of the kite and for one-hand or short-term no-hands flying. Allows
      more precise landing, better luff recovery, quicker handling and better
      sensitivity, but less tendency to automatically return to a neutral
      position, less solid-feeling, more "fumbly" and usually twitchier.
      Generally considered unsuitable for inflatable sleds.

      Backstrap: a strap that replaces the harness and the link line between
      handles, running from one handle, around the rider's back, to the other
      handle. Allows true no-hands steering and variable position of the tow
      point (high or low on the back), as well as a possibly quicker escape in a
      situation where a harness line could not be unhooked, but does not allow
      the rider to hook in or unhook easily while riding. Unsuitable for kites
      that require large control movements with the top lines.

      Rocker: the curve along the bottom of the board. The amount the nose & tail
      of the board are turned up. A board that is relatively flat doesn't have
      much rocker.

      Hard rails, soft rails: The rounder the edge of the board the softer the
      rails are said to be. Hard rails means a sharper edge.

      Sine wave, sine-ing the kite: flying the kite up & down the edge of the
      window to generate more power via apparent wind.

      Working the kite: making figure eights or sine patterns or looping the kite
      to generate more power by increasing apparent wind on the kite.

      Locked in: when the kite is remaining stationary in the sky relative to the
      rider - not moving the kite around in the window but just letting it fly
      straight in the direction of travel.

      Hooked in: the rider's bar is connected to the harness.

      Unhooked, hooked out: the bar is not connected to the harness, the rider is
      bearing the full force of the kite with his arms.

      Spinout: when a board's fins lose "grip" on the water, causing the tail to
      slide leewards.

      Lift-to-drag ratio, L/D: a measure of the efficiency of a kite. High L/D
      means the kite has a high top speed and flies at a greater angle to the
      wind, which results most noticably in better possible VMG to windward and
      faster possible board speeds. Boards also have lift-to-drag ratios (but are
      more variable depending on speed, water condition, rider weight, skill,
      etc.) and so does the whole rider-board-lines-kite combo.

      Seabreeze: the wind is blowing from the water towards land.

      Onshore wind: the wind is blowing from the wind towards the land
      perpendicular to the shoreline.

      Sideshore wind: the wind is blowing parallel to the shoreline.

      Side-on wind: the wind is blowing about 45 degrees to the shoreline from
      the water towards the land.

      Offshore wind: the wind is blowing from the land towards the sea.

      Thermal wind: cold air over the ocean and warm air over the land result in
      a pressure differential that cuases wind. Thermal winds sometimes blow at
      the coast when there is very little wind inland.

      Stretch: the amount a line momentarily lengthens when pulled. Spectra has
      very low stretch, kevlar has slightly more, nylon has a lot. Stretch
      affects responsiveness and size of control movements.

      Creep: the amount a line permanently lengthens when pulled. Loosley braided
      line has a lot of creep, tightly braided has less, linear core line has the
      least. If all the lines creep evenly, it's pretty much unnoticable. On
      ram-air & hybrid kites, the power lines creep more than the brakes, causing
      the kite to fly sluggishly.

      Teabagging: the rider is frequently falling back into the water due to
      light or gusty wind, like a human teabag.

      Slogging, shlogging, dogging it: moving along slowly with the board not
      fully planing.

      Sheeting out: decreasing tension on the lines that lead to the trailing
      edge of the kite to decrease the angle of attack (q.v.) and lower power.
      Sheeting in has the opposite effect.

      Tombstoning: the tail of the board is diving underwater due to tension on
      the leash. The nose of the board sticks up out of the water and looks like
      a tombstone.

      Upsidedown submarine ride: with the kite low the rider is dragged
      underwater on his back at an angle that makes it difficult to get his head
      above water. Usually ends with a kite crash and a shaken rider.

      Front lines, power lines, main lines, top lines: the flying lines that lead
      to the forward attachment points of the kite.

      Brake lines, bottom lines, back lines: the flying lines that lead to the
      back attachment point on the kite.

      Kook: someone who doesn't really know what he's doing, or is a hazzard.

      PFD: personal flotation device, lifejacket.

      Pointing: going upwind. A board that points well is one that goes upwind at
      a better angle than others.

      Scudding: making the kite drag you along the beach on your feet.

      Bodydragging: making the kite pull you through the water on your stomach.
    • cglazier@home.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2000
        Great Mark
        Thanks for your contributions to the glossary.
        I have added them and have posted the updated glossary in
        the files section of this newsgroup.
        Chris Glazier