Re: [ksurfschool] glossary

  • kiteboard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
      "Trim line" refers primarily to 4-line inflatables & the new "parasleds"
      (Naish/Wipika shaped foils) from F-One (Slider), Peter Lynn (ARC) &
      StarBoard(?). It is the line that goes from the front of the wingtips to the
      center of the control bar, & therefore adjusting its length adjusts the
      "trim" or angle of attack (AoA) of the kite. Changing this adjustment is
      called "sheeting" in (increasing AoA for more lift) or out (decreasing AoA
      for less lift).

      Mel
    • Steve Thorpe
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
        > .....Changing this adjustment is called "sheeting" in (increasing
        > AoA for more lift) or out (decreasing AoA for less lift).

        I just want to mention something that may at first be confusing about
        "sheeting in" and "sheeting out".

        Mel describes the terminolgy correctly but the terms "sheeting in"
        and "sheeting out" come from sailing where the leading edge of
        the sail is fixed at the mast and the trailing edge is "sheeted in"
        (pulled toward the wind) to increase AoA or "sheeted out"
        (released into the wind) to decrease AoA.

        I have seen a number of different line configurations having
        a trim line. I'll describe the configurations I have seen - there
        may be more.

        1) As described by Mel: The leading edge lines ( from the front
        of the kite) join into one and connect to the center of the bar
        on an adjustable strap. The back lines connect to the bar ends
        and are for steering. To increase the AoA or "sheet in" ( increasing
        the angle the kite makes with the wind vector ) you actually let OUT
        the adjustment on the trim line. And to sheet out you take IN
        the adjustment on the trim line. ( That's why I said it may be confusing;)

        2) As in 1) but instead of the trim line attached to the bar
        it goes through a hole in the bar and connects permanently
        to the harness ( e.g. Seasmik Alpha ). With this configuration
        you can "sheet out" by pushing out on the bar (which is
        connected to the trailing edge) and "sheet in" by pulling
        in on the bar while you are sailing. Stop-knots on the center
        line or strap limit the movement. This configuration also has
        a 'trim' adjustment on the center strap ( above the top stop-knot)
        which you have to "let out" to "sheet in" and vice versa.
        Even though you can adjust trim on-the-fly you want to set the
        'ideal trim' for when the bar is up against the bottom stop-knot.
        ( so you can hook into your harness in powered up mode )

        3) The back lines join into one and connect to the center of
        the bar on an adjustable strap.The front lines go to the bar
        ends for steering. ( The new F-One STW is like this I think )
        On this configuration ( unlike the other two) letting out the trim
        adjustment "sheets out" the kite and vice versa.

        So when you are told to "sheet in" you have to know what
        configuration you have before you decide what to move
        (bar or strap) and what direction to move it (in or out) !!!

        And you though you knew what "in" and "out" meant ;)

        Steve Thorpe
      • kiteboard@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
          From: thorpes@... (Steve Thorpe)

          <<....2) As in 1) but instead of the trim line attached to the bar
          it goes through a hole in the bar and connects permanently
          to the harness ( e.g. Seasmik Alpha ). With this configuration
          you can "sheet out" by pushing out on the bar....>>

          This is essentially correct, but it's about the tenth time I've read "pushing
          on the bar", & I can't take it any more!! You never push the bar, you just
          stop pulling. Pushing would do no good anyway (unless you were countering
          the force of a bungie) since you can't push a line (once it's slack that's
          it).

          Mel
        • Steve Thorpe
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
            > This is essentially correct, but it's about the tenth time I've read "pushing
            > on the bar", & I can't take it any more!! You never push the bar, you just
            > stop pulling. Pushing would do no good anyway (unless you were countering
            > the force of a bungie) since you can't push a line (once it's slack that's
            > it).
            >
            > Mel

            You're right of course - there's no push needed to sheet out - even to
            sheet out totally, as on my Seasmik - to completely depower the kite
            you just release the bar. Actually the center line acts as your leash on the
            Seasmik so I know as well as anyone that it sheets out when you let
            go the bar. I was just trying to conveying the general direction of
            movement without getting too technical about it.

            Steve