glossary

  • Hanel, Steven
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
      I have scoured Hung's pages repeatedly already. I have read the first three
      issues of Kite Boarding from cover to cover I think they are great - Thanks!

      Terms like trim line, sheeting, ummm drawing a blank right now (psst, at
      work...)

      Steve D. Hanel
    • kiteboard@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
        "Trim line" refers primarily to 4-line inflatables & the new "parasleds"
        (Naish/Wipika shaped foils) from F-One (Slider), Peter Lynn (ARC) &
        StarBoard(?). It is the line that goes from the front of the wingtips to the
        center of the control bar, & therefore adjusting its length adjusts the
        "trim" or angle of attack (AoA) of the kite. Changing this adjustment is
        called "sheeting" in (increasing AoA for more lift) or out (decreasing AoA
        for less lift).

        Mel
      • Steve Thorpe
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
          > .....Changing this adjustment is called "sheeting" in (increasing
          > AoA for more lift) or out (decreasing AoA for less lift).

          I just want to mention something that may at first be confusing about
          "sheeting in" and "sheeting out".

          Mel describes the terminolgy correctly but the terms "sheeting in"
          and "sheeting out" come from sailing where the leading edge of
          the sail is fixed at the mast and the trailing edge is "sheeted in"
          (pulled toward the wind) to increase AoA or "sheeted out"
          (released into the wind) to decrease AoA.

          I have seen a number of different line configurations having
          a trim line. I'll describe the configurations I have seen - there
          may be more.

          1) As described by Mel: The leading edge lines ( from the front
          of the kite) join into one and connect to the center of the bar
          on an adjustable strap. The back lines connect to the bar ends
          and are for steering. To increase the AoA or "sheet in" ( increasing
          the angle the kite makes with the wind vector ) you actually let OUT
          the adjustment on the trim line. And to sheet out you take IN
          the adjustment on the trim line. ( That's why I said it may be confusing;)

          2) As in 1) but instead of the trim line attached to the bar
          it goes through a hole in the bar and connects permanently
          to the harness ( e.g. Seasmik Alpha ). With this configuration
          you can "sheet out" by pushing out on the bar (which is
          connected to the trailing edge) and "sheet in" by pulling
          in on the bar while you are sailing. Stop-knots on the center
          line or strap limit the movement. This configuration also has
          a 'trim' adjustment on the center strap ( above the top stop-knot)
          which you have to "let out" to "sheet in" and vice versa.
          Even though you can adjust trim on-the-fly you want to set the
          'ideal trim' for when the bar is up against the bottom stop-knot.
          ( so you can hook into your harness in powered up mode )

          3) The back lines join into one and connect to the center of
          the bar on an adjustable strap.The front lines go to the bar
          ends for steering. ( The new F-One STW is like this I think )
          On this configuration ( unlike the other two) letting out the trim
          adjustment "sheets out" the kite and vice versa.

          So when you are told to "sheet in" you have to know what
          configuration you have before you decide what to move
          (bar or strap) and what direction to move it (in or out) !!!

          And you though you knew what "in" and "out" meant ;)

          Steve Thorpe
        • kiteboard@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
            From: thorpes@... (Steve Thorpe)

            <<....2) As in 1) but instead of the trim line attached to the bar
            it goes through a hole in the bar and connects permanently
            to the harness ( e.g. Seasmik Alpha ). With this configuration
            you can "sheet out" by pushing out on the bar....>>

            This is essentially correct, but it's about the tenth time I've read "pushing
            on the bar", & I can't take it any more!! You never push the bar, you just
            stop pulling. Pushing would do no good anyway (unless you were countering
            the force of a bungie) since you can't push a line (once it's slack that's
            it).

            Mel
          • Steve Thorpe
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2000
              > This is essentially correct, but it's about the tenth time I've read "pushing
              > on the bar", & I can't take it any more!! You never push the bar, you just
              > stop pulling. Pushing would do no good anyway (unless you were countering
              > the force of a bungie) since you can't push a line (once it's slack that's
              > it).
              >
              > Mel

              You're right of course - there's no push needed to sheet out - even to
              sheet out totally, as on my Seasmik - to completely depower the kite
              you just release the bar. Actually the center line acts as your leash on the
              Seasmik so I know as well as anyone that it sheets out when you let
              go the bar. I was just trying to conveying the general direction of
              movement without getting too technical about it.

              Steve