Re: [ksurfschool] JoJo kites

  • Mark Frasier
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28 8:22 PM
      Hi,

      I had a look at the JoJo a few weeks ago when Dave Dyer came up to the
      Capricio kite fest in Ogunquit Maine with his 8m wet kite. He also had a
      Roberts board - comments follow:

      At 08:21 PM 09/28/2000 -0400, Hung Vu wrote:
      >Folks,
      >
      >Luk from JoJo wing came to Ottawa today and show us various demo
      >kitesurfing equipment including Roberts kiteboards. Unfortunately, the
      >wind did not cooperate (periods of winds from 3 - 10 knots with long
      >periods of 0 knots). However we managed to fly the JoJo Wet 8 m2
      >(projected surface) on the beach. Here are some of my preliminary
      >thoughts:
      >
      >1- JoJo has put quite a bit of thoughts into making the JoJo Wet a water
      >kite and not simply a closed cell version of a land kite.
      >2- There is a single ++ shape bladder that helps to make the kite float
      >(we actually flew the kite with the bladder deflated).
      >3- Four openings with valve system (look like a sock) on the leading
      >edge (better than most systems I have seen).

      I really liked the looks of the valves. They (the valves) seem to be bigger
      than most kitesurfing foils yet they look like they seal up nicely. I
      didn't look _very_ closely, but it looked like it had the best qualities of
      a tube type valve and flap type combined.

      >4- The kite can be easily pre-inflated by opening 2 access zippers
      >(where you open to pump up the bladder)

      This was really cool - are there more kites that do this? Dave laid out the
      kite with the trailing edge pointing into the wind and opened up the
      zippers. We just stood and chatted while the kite filled up quickly even in
      the light wind - no need to hang on to the kite or fly it off the leaders.
      I was surprised at how much it filled up - it was probably 80% inflated
      when he closed the zippers and the thing flew pretty much to the top of the
      window as soon as he pulled on the bar.

      >5- The kite has a projected aspect ratio of 3.45, and has the same power
      >control system as the New Wave (3 lines; front lines go to both ends of
      >the bar and center line for power control, reverse launching and safety
      >release)
      >6- Interesting tangle free bridal design and power steering system.

      The power steering was really nice. Dave said it's adjustable so you can
      set the kite up to steer with more or less brake action depending on wind &
      preference.

      >According to Luk, the kite is designed for beginner and intermediate and
      >having flown it (on land only) I tend to agree with him. The safety
      >system is VERY good. After being activated, the kite will tail down on
      >land/water. All you have to do is to grab the control bar, release the
      >center line and relaunch the kite.

      I agree about the safety system. I didn't use it but Dave showed it in use
      a couple of times. The kite really behaved well. Drifted down without
      threatening to "bunch up" or spin - the only thing I've seen that is as
      smooth is my friend's homemade system for his PL Waterfoil on handles.
      Maybe I haven't seen one properly set up, but the system on the F-ones &
      Mosquitos seems less stable.

      The kite had good stability but also pretty fast turning. Not as fast
      turning as a C Quad 8.5 by a long shot, but nice compared to f-one,
      mosquito, etc., especially considering it wasn't a 4 liner. The turning
      speed was much better than a 4 lined Mosquito Pro KS 9+ even on a flexible
      Mosquito bar. That may not be a fair comparison since the Mosi is bigger,
      but it seems like it would also hold true w/ the Mosi scaled down to the
      same size. I think the high aspect ratio of the Mosquito is the cause of
      the slow turning. To me, who likes to ride & jump in lighter wind, and who
      has been flying power kites for several years, turning speed & agility are
      really important. IMO, turning speed can make up for less power, just like
      longer lines can (it makes sense if you think about it - more time in the
      power stroke and the ability to get the kite into the power zone or out to
      the edge faster).

      The JoJo also felt like it was a little lighter in the air than the Mosi -
      a bit quicker acceleration & less momentum or more drive (makes for better
      turns that don't lose as much power or speed IMO).

      The max power didn't seem to be as much as the 8.5 C Quad and the JoJo
      seemed to have a slower forward speed. The pull with the kite overhead
      seemed more solid on the JoJo, which would make sense for a
      beginner/intermediate kite that probably flies a bit less high than a C
      Quad and has more mass to keep the kite from reacting too fast to a gust.
      There is no foil I know of that accelerates or turns anything near as fast
      the CQs, though. Especially when comparing the larger versions of both types.

      >Roberts board is rock solid (79" X 18.5"). Luk (165 lbs.) jumped up and
      >down the board a number of times and nothing happens.

      Dave didn't treat his board this badly :) He has a few pounds over Luk's
      165 anyhow :)

      Dave kindly let me try the board and I was pretty impressed. The wind was
      super light - maybe 8 mph at the most. Dave couldn't quite get going (I'm
      not sure what Dave weighs, but I think it's more than my 210). He had
      packed up the kite by the time I walked back from my downwinder, so I tried
      it with my 8.5 C Quad. My board is a 7 foot x 18" Fox, his Roberts was
      something like 6'5", probably at least 18" across the middle, but with a
      curvier shape so less width in the nose & tail than mine. The water was
      really flat & glassy, just a few low, smooth swells, and cross-shore so I
      could easily get past the breakers. The Roberts had sharp edges all the way
      around, from the tail right around the nose and back, like a wakeboard. I
      was able to plane and go an average of maybe 15 degrees downwind, sometimes
      better, sometimes worse. This was due to the light wind, not the board (but
      see my comments below).

      The edging was SO positive - I could feel that this board would grip better
      on edge than my Fox by quite a bit. I think it would handle quite a bit
      more power than my board. I think that was due to the shorter length,
      curvier outline, and thinner rails (the rails on my board are as
      sharp-cornered but thicker).

      However, I was able to go upwind in the low wind conditions better with the
      Fox, due to two factors. 1, my Fox definately has more planing area in the
      tail than Dave's Roberts, meaning the Fox planes a bit higher in that
      situation, and 2, with both boards planing lower in the water than usual,
      the Roberts' sharp edge was acting something like a brake where the edge
      started to really curve in towards the nose, while my Fox's rounder rail up
      front seemed to slip through much nicer (the Fox has sharp edges about 2/3
      - 3/4 of the way towards the nose, then the rail gets "softer"). Perhaps it
      would have been a different story if the Roberts was as long as the Fox, too.

      Still I was impressed that I could plane at all with such a small, light
      board (compared to the Fox) in such underpowered conditions!

      The board also stayed up much better in a jibe than I thought it would, and
      it handles very nicely in the jibes (in those conditions). That was a
      little surprising - for some reason I figured the sharp edges would make it
      harder to jibe. On the other hand, the board was curvier, so I expect that
      made up for the hard rails (if that really is a factor). The carve feeling
      seems more solid on the Roberts - the Fox seems a little smoother but not
      as hard-carving. Hard to tell since the wind was light, but my guess is
      that I'd prefer the jibing of the Roberts (if the conditions were normal).

      It was a LOT lighter than my board. Wish I had enough wind to try some
      jumps with it.

      The board was also nice looking. It had some sort of a metallic paint swish
      and a nice finish.

      >Luk showed us the JoJo RM (non water re-launcheable) and I think I fall
      >in love with it. The JoJo RM has 4.8 projected aspect ratio, has
      >diagonal rib allowing it to has bridal connections on every third cells
      >(less drag). The 10 m2 projected surface JoJo RM would be an excellent
      >light wind kite for me (17% larger than my XXXL). Is there any other
      >bigger high performance "regular" foils out there?

      I just got Jeff Quick's old 10.5 C Quad. Holy cow. Unreal. Fast and
      powerful. The power increase over the 8.5 is much more than I thought it
      would be. Maybe time to re-tune the 8.5!

      >Hung.

      Mark Frasier